Could shyness be just a way to "mask" autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2023, 5:17 am

I think that shyness/social phobia in people on the spectrum could be a way to cope with autistic symptoms in order to keep some sort of social acceptance.

Let me explain better. I always suffered from shyness and to a lesser extend social phobia in unknown settings or with people I don't know much. However, once I get familiar with the situation or the people, this shyness tends to fade away and my "true" personality emerges with all its weirdness.

My theory is that blatant display of autistic behaviour in the past could have result in us being rejected by the outside world, so we have subconsciously learned to mask these symptoms by adopting a low-profile,shy behaviour when we are in public.

What do you think?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:27 am

I think shyness in a lot of cases is caused by a lack of confidence and that may be a lack of confidence in one's own personality, in its true form, when displayed to others.

But shyness can also be caused by social anxiety, with the social anxiety causing an unwillingness for a person to confidently engage with others on an interpersonal level.

A person might also shy simply because of their temperament, which varies by person.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:36 am

yes, we learn to avoid social interaction after repeated failures and struggles to communicate or interact socially. Experience is a great teacher! We will avoid those things that repeatedly make us uncomfortable. If we feel inadequate to cope with something, we will avoid doing whatever that "something" is.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:47 am

Shy appearances is easily a mask. Any personality can be.

It's a particularly a safe way to go about around people by 'being a bit introverted but at least I'm out here -- let them assume I'm just shy, not a weirdo or unapproachable' shtick.

Masking isn't simply all about pretending to be an outgoing interesting person. Masking is more of a means to hide 'odd' traits and pass.

Shyness as a mask is not 'fail pass', it's just a way less extroverted (or somewhat a more neurotic) way of 'passing'.

In my own case...
Shyness is not a mask, it's just what happens to me -- like any emotions and hopefully aligns with intent.

If anything, it's my way of expressing of being too busy coping with something (usually holding back unwanted irritability and desiring to not dealing with anyone), or doing subtle humble-brag, hiding situational worry, or some weird hard to get play ploy playing on inclusive cultures.

But not masking 'autism' or denying being weird itself. I'm openly weird unless I'm sick or tired or something.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Twiglet

24 Sep 2023, 1:57 pm

Yes! I've been wondering about this exact same thing!

I keep reading about autistic women using masking, but I don't identify with it. However, I "act" shy... really shy. I'm not sure if I actually am shy. I do get anxious around people, but it's mostly because I don't want to be around them. When I have to be around them and have to put up with them talking to me, I act shy, so I don't appear rude, but they eventually (if I'm lucky), leave me alone. You don't really have to converse if you're shy... people don't expect shy people to say very much.

Everyone always tells me I'm shy but I'm really not sure if I actually am. However, I do get anxious around people. So, it's confusing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 3:40 pm

Absolutely.

If one is punished consistently when attempting to socialize one often tends to shy away(pun intended) from socializing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

alwaysRootingForTheAI
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2023, 5:52 pm

Definitely - I've used shyness, both deliberately and automatically out of fear. I often found it to be a safer strategy than trying to communicate and being ostracized. Now I try to avoid the kinds of people that put me in situations where this is required, and find myself generally being much less shy.

I suspect my "true" personality might look a bit like shyness, but that's mostly just because I take time to compose my thoughts, and don't always feel the need to participate when people are talking about utterly banal and meaningless things (which sports team won this week, what gas prices have climbed to, what political party is in trouble this month).