Disclosing my autism in a medical examination

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Niktereuto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2023, 11:17 pm

After looking for a job for three months, I finally got one as a buyer in a company. I have already passed the interviews with the people in this company, and they chose me. I didn't tell them about my diagnosis.
It remains to make a medical evaluation this Monday (April 3rd) and sign the contract (possibly on April 10th because there are two national holidays this week).

In a previous experience, for my last job, there was, in the questionnaire, a section for neurological conditions. This examination was in the company building, and the personnel asked me to skip it (as with others).
But the examination for this Monday is in a hospital, so I think they will be more strict.

I'm not sure if I should mention that I'm an aspie. Being an aspie isn't a physical impediment to working in an office. It doesn't threaten my life or others. But I'm afraid that if I disclose and the medics report it to the company, they could change their decision to hire me.

There are three reasons why I want to disclose:

1. I don't want to lie. Once I read that not disclosing isn't lying but protecting. But I'm unsure if it's the same because they will ask me directly about a neurological condition.

2. Supportive people, like my mom, say that I shouldn't be ashamed about who I'm, about my autism.

3. If people don't prejudge me, it could be a way to break the stereotypes about autism with the people that will know me.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to screw it.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 9:54 am

I agree with not lying. (Isn't that sometimes said to be a frequent characteristic of Autistics?) Besides being wrong, if they find out later that you lied then there could be repercussions.

Perhaps careful phrasing could help?
<=>"I do have a few Autistic traits." 
<=>"I'm mildly Autistic."
<=>"I have a bit of Autism."
<=>"I have a touch of Autism."
<=>"I am a high functioning Autistic."

Maybe add "I think that could be an advantage for you" and then toss in something plausible.

If they noticeably recoil then try to reassure them. "It's probably not like you think. The stereotypes for it are based on the Autistics that have the most trouble. People forget Autistics like Dan Akroyd, Anthony Hopkins, and Elon Musk, and there are a lot more that did just fine that people don't think about...though, frankly, don't get carried away with your expectations...I am not as high-functioning as Albert Einstein!"

Maybe warn them about something harmless. "One Autistic trait is to be interested in things that don't interest other people so if I start talking about    a special interest    just nod your head—don't worry, there won't be a test."

Hopefully confidence and a sense of humor will reassure them.

Good luck!