I've been "cured" and I don't think I like it

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2007, 1:33 pm

Okay, not totally "cured" to Neurologically Typical, but a lot more capable of passing for NT.

This summer I've been going to a Cranio-Sacral therapist and taking supplements for leaky gut syndrome. [Disclaimer: what works for me may not necessarily work for you.] The Cranio-Sacral therapy has made an incredible improvement in my posture. After my first treatment I felt seriously off-balance when I got up from the massage table, because my posture had been so far out of alignment for so long, even with chiropractic visits.

Now I'm noticing a lot more mental clarity and a lot less anxiety. On the physical side I have more energy and less sensitivity to light and heat. And the food sensitivities are disappearing, probably more due to the supplements helping my digestive system recuperate and rebuild. But I'm still oversensitive to noise, probably because I've always found noise pollution to be traumatic.

I still like my eccentric interests, and my memory seems as good as ever. But the problem is that suddenly I feel more connected to the world (like a participant instead of an observer) and find myself lonely (as in craving human companionship). The thing that scares me about this is that I've always been comfortable "in my own little world" and have spent four decades struggling to figure out (without benefit of diagnosis) how to cope with an NT world alone.

Now suddenly I have to learn new coping strategies. And please don't start with the platitudes about how "life changes" are an opportunity for growth. The last thing I want is to transmogrify into one of those shallow, narrow-minded chatty types who have always disgusted me. I've got books about social skills, but I guess I need to figure out first what I want them for. And wait and see how much further this metamorphosis goes.

Any advice?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 1:35 pm

This is pretty much my situation as well.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

15 Aug 2007, 1:39 pm

You want to struggle in the real world? :?

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2007, 1:43 pm

Wow, that is great that the therapy is helping you! :)

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2007, 1:43 pm

likedcalico wrote:

No! That's the dilemna: Is it better or worse than where I was?

15 Aug 2007, 1:52 pm

Well it's good you have learned to cope. If you start to lose your aspie gifts, you should worry about that.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 2:48 pm

pi_woman wrote:
Now suddenly I have to learn new coping strategies. And please don't start with the platitudes about how "life changes" are an opportunity for growth. The last thing I want is to transmogrify into one of those shallow, narrow-minded chatty types who have always disgusted me. I've got books about social skills, but I guess I need to figure out first what I want them for. And wait and see how much further this metamorphosis goes.

Any advice?

It sounds like your problems are less to do with gaining the ability to talk to NTs, and more to do with the fact that you find most NT conversation shallow. No biggie - that's the case for a lot of people. I'd start by trying to figure out what you'd like to talk about, were you to do so, then spend some time looking for interest groups and clubs that might help take in your interests (Universities and Colleges can be great for this). It'll probably help ease you in if you're talking about subjects that interest you, and if not, then no problem. Nothing obliges you to go back to a place or person you didn't enjoy.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 3:33 pm

pi_woman wrote:
likedcalico wrote:

Neither. Try being satisfied where you are. If you can think of a way to make your life better, do it. Why make it complicated?

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2007, 3:58 pm

wow! Incredible the treatments they have avalible these days. Im glad it works, but seriously, r u happy? Would you go back?

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 4:55 pm

Oh wow I know exactly how you feel (mind you I've only had this feeling for a few days) I too have been eating differently to treat a leaky gut! I am taking L-Glutamine powder and I've cut out dairy products. The light sensitivity is improving, I am more cheerful, more chatty (god forbid!) more interested in human contact which I find a little unnerving I would hate to lose some of my positive AS traits. Anxiety is a bit high cos of this change, it probably won't last we'll see.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 5:23 pm

Well, academic underacheivement is often caused by excesses of cortisol. It's generally low in AG Aspies, which might account for some of their intelligence. It's low in auties in general, actually. Your mind's gonna be as sharp as it's always been.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 5:52 pm

We are never cured of our AS. We just learn to deal with it better.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sylvius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2007, 6:51 pm

pi_woman wrote:
likedcalico wrote:

I vote worse. You're less happy.

This is partly why I would never want a cure. Plus, I'd fear losing my Aspie gifts. It's because I'm so focussed on the application of pure reason that I'm good at abstract logic and computer work. I wouldn't ever want to lose that.

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2007, 7:37 pm

Pi-Woman, your response to treatment, sounds a lot like my response to taking time off of work. I become more relaxed and much less anxious in social settings. Unfortunately, when the tension of work returns my aspie traits tend to return also. I hope you have continued good luck with your treatments.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 8:35 pm

THERE'S A CURE 8O :D
where!!

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 8:55 pm

You're not less Aspie, you're more aware. It's a super power, so use it for good. Seriously, most of us want companionship of like minds. In our case it's hard to come by, so the web forums are important to us, but it's not the same as face time. Relax and enjoy your new gift.

On the other hand, you could be the first of a race of super Aspies destined to save the world.

Nah. :D