Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2014, 12:49 am

I have noticed that we tend to be self-righteous and sometimes spiteful individuals (or maybe it?s just me :-D). I think if we encountered some of our own characteristics in others we would not like them. We show little interest in others and somehow feel neglected and angry if they do the same to us. It?s not nice, though faking interest can look ridiculous.
We have a tendency to blame others when really we are the problem.

What do you think?

Of course I am comparing with decent NTs, there are also many of them with their own problems.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 1:13 am

Sometimes I am self righteous.

Wreck It Ralph

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 May 2014, 1:25 am

Wherever could you have got such an outrageous notion? I find the idea that we as aspies have any flaws whatsoever totally offensive! - of course it is the fault of everyone else. We are perfect in every way, just like Mary Poppins.

Arthur Rimbaud.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 1:28 am

BelleAmi wrote:
Wherever could you have got such an outrageous notion? I find the idea that we as aspies have any flaws whatsoever totally offensive! - of course it is the fault of everyone else. We are perfect in every way, just like Mary Poppins.

LOL!

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2014, 1:45 am

I've noticed that many days when I try to comment on something or show interest people often think I'm being judgmental when I'm just making a casual observation. I'm actually trying to be friendly, but when I try to explain that, often they think I'm being defensive and waffling on what I said. It's like once they believe they're being judged, most people are unwilling to consider that they may be mistaken about it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 2:34 am

I don't think, I know we have social reciprocity deficits.

Our conversations tend to be exchanges of information, once the information is received or we figure it is not going to be received we just move on.

We also tend to like categories and you may not get an online hug or an expression of sympathy unless you are ask for it or are in the The Haven.

If a person says something bad happened to them the discussion might turn into a debate about autism issues related to the bad thing. Somebody will comment about a tangentially related issue then everybody will exchange information about that topic. So that might be taken as lack of interest in the person.

Spiteful? I have to think about that some more

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 2:39 am

I'm sure many of us are, but I don't think there is necessarily a connection between ASDs and self-righteousness.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 4:35 am

hyena wrote:
I have noticed that we tend to be self-righteous and sometimes spiteful individuals [...] We show little interest in others and somehow feel neglected and angry if they do the same to us.

These are very much human traits, not particularly aspie at all. I see those things often enough.

And speaking for myself, all I want from the vast majority of people is that they leave me alone. My interests are so much more interesting than they are. Let me read (or whatever) in peace.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 6:18 am

It might be perceived as self righteousness, but probably in most cases it is not.

We are literal thinkers and doers. And are bored brainless of things not of our interest (like football).

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 7:02 am

I guess I am in the camp that thinks what you describe are manifestations of human nature not autistic nature. Those feelings are not universal but are common enough.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 7:55 am

I pay little attention to people and feel happy when they do the same to me. :)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

KC73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2014, 8:56 am

Is it self righteousness or simply a lack of response to the social pressure thats apparently designed to make NT people feel bad about themselves and to seek constant reassurance from others about their own worth, attractiveness, acceptability etc? There was a famous self help book written for NT people called "I'm ok, you're ok" that counsellors/therapists/self help gurus were touting as life changing information for a while, and this was apparently a huge revelation to the NT community. To me the books title is so blindingly obvious that I couldnt understand why others didnt see it. But actually living that philosophy and approaching the world with an "I'm ok, you're ok, lets move on to something interesting already" stance gets peoples backs up and is seen as a self righteous attitude because we're supposed to have to struggle with masses of self loathing and guilt in order to finally get to that promoted-as-healthy place, and there seems to be jealousy when people are just there naturally.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:00 am

I think anyone can be self righteous - on the spectrum or NT. It's a human failing....or a failing human (pun definitely intended).

:D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:05 am

I never understood the term. When I first heard it and looked it up, I saw it was another word for holier than thou but the way it gets used, it doesn't fit the definition I learned so it confuses me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:34 am

I can act self-righteous with the best of them, but only when I feel like I've been disrespected or wronged.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:56 am

I think this article explained the term well for me to easily understand.

http://www.lifetolaugh.com/ArticlesReso ... heous.html

I don't see myself as self righteous and I think everyone can be just like how everyone can be selfish or rude or a hypocrite or closed minded and I think everyone is to an extent. There is always balance. It's funny the article is basically explaining black and white thinking in humans. Yeah I see lot of these people online and they are annoying.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.