Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RavenNyx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2023, 11:16 pm

My hypersensitivity to light is bad enough where, even with dark, polarized sunglasses, I can't be around fluorescent or led lights for more than a few minutes. Even incandescent are rough. It's not so much optical irritation as much as neurological/brain irritation/overload. Yes, I'm wearing sunglasses as I'm writing this cause the screen on my phone is too much. Does anyone else dealing with this? If so, how do you deal with this?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 12:27 am

I have the same issue. I can't tolerate daylight either, even if it's indirect sunlight or glare. I have trouble doing anything in the daytime even if I'm indoors because light and vision bother me so much. The colour white is especially hard for me to look at. Sunny days are unbearable, especially in the winter with snow. At night I feel better because I only see one thing at a time and there's not so much visual overwhelm to process, but then I'm dependent on electric light to see at all.

It's a Catch22.

I have prescription polarised glasses with tints. They aren't Irlen but they're the same idea. I've heard of Thera Specs being a good option (see website) but I haven't tried those either because my current glasses cost a fortune.

How do I cope? I don't. I don't really go anywhere or do anything if I can avoid it. It's very disabling. I use candles at night instead of electric light, but then I can't do much of anything like housework because I can't see.

I hope you find an answer because I'd like one too.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 12:42 am

I have the same problem. I like almost can't handle artificial lighting at all? I don't know why, but that makes me more overwhelmed than sunlight (which I'm still sensitive to, but less so). It makes being anywhere but my room at home really overwhelming. I haven't really found a way to deal with it, though. No matter what I do I seem to still get very overstimulated by it. I kind of just do my best to avoid or limit how much time I have to spend in places where it's the worst (stores, the break room at work, doctors offices, etc.).