Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 10:16 am

It is exactly the same test.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 10:59 am

Lightning88 wrote:
If they hadn't asked so many social questions, I'd probably have a higher score. I'm probably one of the very few on here that loves to be around people!

I actually started forcing myself to become more social when I was fairly young. It was a semi-conscious or possibly evolving decision on my part... so for some of the questions I put down what I think my natural inclination would have been if it weren't for the fact that I've consciously forced myself to be another way for a couple of decades. The question of "would you prefer to to to the library or a party" is a really good example of this. Today I would probably rationalize "there are more opportunities to make friends at the party and the library will still be there afterward" (in spite of or maybe even because of the fact that making friends is difficult for me) and gone to the party because I realize in a very practical sense that my lack of friends has been very problematic for me over the years (especially in the past month). But my natural inclination is that I never really liked parties -- they're so often loud and obnoxious (difficult to tolerate) and the library generally seems so much more pleasant as an opportunity to either escape into sci-fi or learn something (which I love doing). So while I might rationalize going to the party and go to the party every time those options are given to me, on the test I put that I'd definitely go to the library.

Though I do actually enjoy being around people I know and trust who're not being loud and obnoxious, Tiff has always complained of not getting enough time with me (we've been together 7 years). I used to think it was just because I had become a workaholic in an effort to try and fix the problem I've had with child support (something that's been beyond my control and totally ruined my life), though in the past couple months as I've been researching autism, I'm beginning to think there's more to it than that. So likely my natural inclination is to not spend so much time around people in spite of my desire to have a larger, intentional family.

aspie7120
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2007, 11:07 am

37-seems pretty accurate

ike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 11:18 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
psychotic wrote:
this test is lame. most of the questions are personality related...

A test like this would be lame if it DIDN'T have such questions! Outside of some vagueness, and subjective susceptibility, it was a good test. My answers were, as is customary in my case with things like this, non-committal, so I got a lower score. Hopefully, they factored that in. I think THAT is an AS symptom also. Acquired due to things being imprecise. Ask an imprecise question, and get an imprecise answer!

My expectation would be that they gave this survey to a bunch of people who had official AS diagnosis and a bunch of people who were known to be NT (or believed to be) and averaged the results to figure out that AS people score an average of 35, so if we're apt to give non-committal answers then the average 35 score would reflect a certain amount of vaguery. Or maybe even more likely -- they had a bunch of diagnosed AS people take the test and used their average responses to determine the scoring system, so for example if the average AS person is 50% likely to answer "slightly agree" but only 20% likely to answer "definitely agree" then you only get the point if you answer "slightly agree". And then gave the test to a bunch of NTs to determine what their average scores would be.

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2007, 11:23 am

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Aug 2007, 11:31 am

nobodyzdream wrote:

ike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 11:42 am

xanadu wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Hopefully, they factored that in. I think THAT is an AS symptom also. Acquired due to things being imprecise. Ask an imprecise question, and get an imprecise answer!

I love filling out not only tests but also market research surveys, but I hate how those even more often than tests are totally imprecise. For example, take a question such as "Do you always eat breakfast?" - the only possible answers obviously being "Yes" or "No", with "No" being the right choice for most people. But instead they give you 10 possibilities between "Totally disagree" and "Totally agree". Of course I need to choose "Totally disagree" because there have been days where I haven't eaten breakfast! Yes I understand what they really mean to say, but I keep filling out those surveys truthfully until they either learn to write meaningful questions or throw me out for not fitting their stupid demographics :D

You want them to write the question "How often do you eat breakfast?"
a) Every day
b) Most days
c) Occasionally
d) Rarely
e) Never

possibly with optional answers

f) What's breakfast?
G) Die, breakfast food industry minion!

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 11:51 am

34!!

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2007, 12:50 pm

45 :?

ike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 1:23 pm

I've actually taken the test 3 times now...

The firs time I took it, half-way through I started thinking "maybe if I exaggerate my answers, I can deliberately get a higher score" and at the end I scored 34.

So I took it again today and tried exaggerating all the answers ans scored 32.

So I took it again and decided not to exaggerate any of my answers ans scored 36.

So apparently the less I try to be autistic, the more autistic I am.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2007, 4:40 pm

Thought so, got 45 :roll:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 6:31 pm

38....ho hum.
Seems like the questions were taken from another test.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 8:57 pm

I got a 36.

I sometimes wish there was a middle option for certain questions; for those ones where I neither agree nor disagree with.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 9:19 pm

me too

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 11:25 pm

I got a 37 on the test. Anything over 35 indicates high functioning autism or Asperger's.