06 Jul 2023, 5:55 pm

When were you assessed?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 5:57 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
When were you assessed?

About 2 years ago. The ADHD diagnosis is so accurate that I don't understand why I wasn't diagnosed years ago back in school when I was being closely observed like a bug under a microscope.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 5:58 pm

They probably would’ve found PTSD if you had it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 6:00 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
They probably would’ve found PTSD if you had it.

Yes you might be right.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 6:00 pm

Sorry for replying with a screenshot in your face lol - I didn't put the bolding on it either. I just thought the author likely explains it better than I would.

It seems RSD is very common for autistic people:

I think your history certainly feels traumatic to you. People can experience traumatic things without having PTSD. It's similar to the way many people feel depressed at times, but it doesn't mean they meet the clinical standard for Major Depressive Disorder. Many people feel anxious but they might not meet the clinical standard for GAD or PTSD. Same with OCD, which is a term I think many people overuse without knowing or meeting the clinical definition.

It seems these memories have made you very insecure. How are you addressing this problem?
Does your ADHD report mention your RSD? What did the doctor recommend for your treatment?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 6:09 pm

Quote:
I think your history certainly feels traumatic to you. People can experience traumatic things without having PTSD. It's similar to the way many people feel depressed at times, but it doesn't mean they meet the clinical standard for Major Depressive Disorder. Many people feel anxious but they might not meet the clinical standard for GAD or PTSD. Same with OCD, which is a term I think many people overuse without knowing or meeting the clinical definition.

This, this, and this. Thank you for elaborating. This does sound accurate.

Quote:
It seems these memories have made you very insecure. How are you addressing this problem?
Does your ADHD report mention your RSD? What did the doctor recommend for your treatment?

It didn't mention RSD as such but a lot of the things mentioned on it are typical RSD.

They organised therapy sessions but the sessions were too short. I wanted more sessions but that would mean I'd have to go private, which I cannot afford. I'd be grateful if they could arrange therapy sessions for Saturdays when I'm off work but I don't think they do it on weekends.

I'd never heard of RSD until a year or so ago on an ADHD Facebook group. Then when I googled it it was all about ADHD, more so than autism, but I guess it can happen to autistic people too.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 6:26 pm

Your ADHD report might state if you were tested for PTSD, GAD, etc.
Quite often they test for it concurrently so they can rule it out in favour of ADHD.

Sometimes they make reference to diagnoses from other doctors.

This is the start of my ADHD report:

Maybe see if you have something like that on yours. ^

I had already been dx PTSD so that's why they didn't screen me again for it.

Note:
CPTSD is not in the DSM.
It's considered a subtype of Acute PTSD, which is in the DSM.
All clinical diagnoses need a DSM reference code for insurance.
That's why mine says "PTSD".

Here's another consideration.
Check with your doctor for your Axis scores.

All developmental and mental health diagnoses fall in "Axis" categories.
They all need to be diagnoses which are listed in the DSM.
I have other diagnoses but they aren't in DSM so they aren't on here.

Here are mine, done by my GP for an insurance update in early 2020.

Ohh, just found CPTSD in writing in my ASD report:

Maybe now it makes sense why someone would think I was vulnerable enough for grooming.

Here's what the Axis V GAF Score of 60 means:
GAF is Global Assessment of Functioning.
GAF scores are needed for all people on disability.

I've been as low as 20 on GAF, which was immediately post-trauma when I was completely mute.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 7:11 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
^ People can have social anxiety and agoraphobia without meeting the very specific criteria for a PTSD/CPTSD diagnosis.

Can Understand that as being a reality, but maybe not so much in my personal experiences. for my own life.
But can see Anxiety and agoraphobia being fallout from the PTSD situation / mental environmental awareness of
any given individual, that might present with those same PTSD symptoms.

where ever you go ,there you are

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 7:31 pm

I will share some of my ADHD reports (but cover up any private information of course). It's at my dad's at the moment, and I don't know when I'll next visit but when I do I'll have a look through my ADHD reports and post some here.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 7:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

By the way, that blacked-out diagnosis isn't a mental health condition. It was something medical related to the previous comment about IBS, and it was ... TMI. lmao

Just thought I should clarify in case it looks like I'm hiding something.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 5:12 am

Personally, I used to be a lot worse than I am now. For instance, there were topics I wanted to talk about with others but whenever I attempted to do so; I'd almost forget how to talk. My throat would dry up and I couldn't form the sentences. Visual memories would pour into my mind. I found it annoying rather than distressing. Sure, the memories weren't pleasant but I was rather sick of them. I kept thinking Really? We're doing this again?

However, I kept pushing through. I wanted to talk about it and I was determined to do so. You're fine. It's safe. Breathe. Get some water. The words are still here. It wasn't easy at first, but I kept doing it and eventually it stopped happening. Now it feels odd to think that mental wall was ever there.

I find that sometimes my claustrophobia is tied to certain visuals. Similarly, it used to be worse. Unlike losing my sentences though, I still get claustrophobic. It's not easy to determine when it started. Unfortunately, a lot of the bullying I experienced involved being physically forced into small spaces. So for me, instead of being one big event - I'd say it's more a collection of events. The worst I've ever been was when I had a panic attack on a school trip. We were supposed to crawl through a small tunnel. I attempted to do so but I got halfway through and started panicking. My teacher was complaining about me taking too long and that I was being overly dramatic. In the end, I closed my eyes and wriggled backwards until I was back at the beginning of the tunnel. Then I lay face-first on the ground. I then got up and walked around the tunnel rather than travelling through it.

Sitting in the middle seat rather than at the ends of a table can be uncomfortable. There's this vague feeling of dread. Discomfort. Which seems silly since it's such a minor thing. I can sit in the middle, if I remind myself of where I am and / or who I'm with in the moment. However, I prefer to sit at the end, where I can easily leave. I think that's it, really, it's less a fear of small spaces for me and more of a fear of a lack of escape...even when I don't need to escape.

I read a book recently about a character who is described as having PTSD. Which is not speculation, he canonically has PTSD in the book. There's a nightmare sequence where certain traumatic events occur but not with complete accuracy. It's this jumbled messy almost trippy experience. A blur of memories where things happen in the wrong order and sometimes outright incorrectly. I liked that because it felt more like an actual dream. There's one memory he finds himself in where he reacts with irritation. Alright, let's get this over with. He also cracks some jokes and he remarks about how others are uncomfortable with his use of humour.

When the book first released, I was worried since I knew it was going to likely cover trauma and be a difficult read. However, even though it does cover sensitive topics, it does so with significantly more care than the previous books. We're allowed to sit with the characters for a moment and breathe. I'm going off topic here and don't want to majorly spoil anything. Although I am tempted to make a more in-depth thread about this book.

Anyway, I don't have PTSD (as far as I am aware). Frankly I don't know what to call *gestures vaguely* whatever I'm going through. I was a little intimidated when I started therapy and my former therapist wanted to refer me to other people to rule out certain conditions. So I just dropped out really. Probably not the healthiest of reactions but that's what happened.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 5:17 am

We could just say we're traumatized but not PTSD. I'm traumatized by lots of things; deep water, vomiting, the general public...

I hate when people go on about exposure therapy and all that. I think exposure therapy to deep water might help, but not with vomiting or being around strangers in public.

Isabella I knew you weren't hiding anything. :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 5:26 am

I have psychosis with my ptsd. This is why I can't go out to work. I become really violent because I believe my life is in danger and I have to do something about it (my trauma is down to a threat to my life). I actually truly believe it is happening as well. I can't reason with myself about it at the time or even afterwards. This is why I'm in therapy now. I'm on a knifes edge constantly because of it. It's a delusion caused by flashbacks.

Ptsd can make a person become quite a danger to themselves and also to others. It is a really serious diagnosis and that's why if you think you have then you really should speak to someone who can help you.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 6:04 am

Like I said, I thought PTSD applied to anyone who had any sort of trauma but it doesn't (I mean that as in matter of fact, not matter of opinion).

I just have anxiety, which isn't as serious as PTSD. I overthink, when I get a negative thought in my head I obsess over it until I have gotten reassurance, and I'm overly sensitive to certain sounds and emotions and other people's emotions.

I'm in no way any danger to myself or to others. I never have been in all my life. I'm "of sound mind" like the average person. I'm just a very highly anxious person.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 6:53 am

Good. I'm glad.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 7:07 am

Also I'm not saying that everyone with ptsd/CPTSD is dangerous. But I'm sure you all already know that.