What do you think about it when people think your autism...

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2023, 7:19 pm

gives you abilities that you just don't have? Like, when they maybe think you are great at math, when in reality, you stink at it.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2023, 6:45 am

I don't like stereotyping in general.
That's the main reason I hardly disclose my asd.
I'm too worried people will assume I'm either highly intelligent or simple minded. As that's how the media often protays the condition.
In reality I'm average when it comes to intelligence, and I wish the public was more aware of how wide the spectrum is.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 9:03 am

I don't like that stereotype at all. I also don't like it when people think I'm mentally defective and mock my intelligence when they're talking to other people. It's a dangerous world, you can't trust anybody.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 2:45 pm

ignorant turkeys! We can educate them or simply waste no more time on them. Depending on the circumstances I have done both.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 2:50 pm

I don't think I've ever had anyone think I should be good at something due to having autism. People do tend to overestimate my abilities in general though.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2023, 4:37 pm

People see my art find out I'm autistic or vice versa and think I'm some kind of savant who came out of the womb being able to paint like that. No, I have 30+ years of experience.

I'm just good at memorizing things about my special interests, meerkats/veterinary medicine/becoming an exotics or wildlife rehab veterinarian.

I figure I'll just move to South Africa and work as a rehabber...despite everyone telling me not to move to South Africa became it's dangerous. I'm not moving to Johannesburg, but Oudtshoorn. And even if I was moving to Johannesburg, it's not their place to tell me I cannot. Okay, then tell me how I can interact with meerkats when they're not native or legal in my country? And it's not so easy to get a job at a zoo that has them and even then they don't let you pick what animals you work with and don't care if meerkats have been your special interest since you were seven years old and you probably know more about them than the person they currently got caring for them.

Zookeeper never appealed to me. It's just a glorified janitor and you need a college degree for it these days. If I wanted to be a janitor, I'd go be one in a place that does not even require a high school diploma. A lot of zoos use ABA tactics to train them and that makes me uncomfortable as an autistic person.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2023, 9:06 pm

I don't think I've had that problem yet. If it comes up I have no problem correcting the person. I'm very aware of what my ASD + iADHD giveth and what it taketh away.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Oct 2023, 9:35 pm

Meh.

I stopped caring what other people thought back in my teens. Unless I am directly impacted by their erroneous thoughts, I figure it's their mind. Let them be deluded if they choose. If I find their error is impacting me, I will clarify things for them. Once. I will not argue about it.

I used to think I was actually doing people a service when I corrected their misconceptions when I knew the truth of a matter. I finally got tired of people getting angry that I was trying to give them a more accurate view of the world.

I still don't UNDERSTAND how anyone would turn down knowledge freely given, but I have to ACCEPT that many people prefer error and ignorance above being corrected, no matter how respectful correction is given.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NFLE, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2023, 10:39 pm

I RARELY ever tell anyone that I am officially on the autism scale. Its just never a relevant thing to mention to anyone.

But on the rare occasions when I do I have never had anyone assume I have savant abilities of any kind.

Had the opposite. I told a friend (who has mental problems of his own) that I was diagnosed with "something like autism" (aspergers).

All he knew about autism was that folks told him that "it was something like retardation". So when I would correct about facts in history or something, or just be articulate enough to put a sentence together he would say things "thats why I think the doc was wrong ...and that you cant have autism". :roll:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 12:03 am

I've never experienced those stereotypes.
Granted, I do excel in maths and I'm also quite artsy.
My synaesthesia amazes a lot of people, but that's not part of ASD.

I don't meet a lot of people, so I don't get to tell a lot of people I'm autistic.
I recently met some of MR's extended family in BC.
They didn't have any false assumptions about what autism was.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 9:27 pm

It was actually me who thought I'd be good at programming, since I passed earlier computer studies quite well. But no, I'm rubbish at programming. It doesn't come easily at all. I had to quit C# halfway through the term because it was like a foreign language that I couldn't even learn slowly.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 9:31 pm

The closest I have come to being told I should have super-powers is when teachers would say something in class like, "For such a smart kid, you sure can be stupid" or my relatives saying, "Why can't you be smart like your sister?".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 8:53 pm

My superpower is being great at Jeopardy :lol:

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 8:58 pm

I'm pretty sure I have dyscalculia. Also I'm an adult woman, those two things alone break the stereotypes about people with ASD.

The whole superpower thing is garbage, but I think my ASD is why I was so resistant to peer pressure as a teenager.

Patrick22348
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2023, 9:03 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have dyscalculia. Also I'm an adult woman, those two things alone break the stereotypes about people with ASD.

The whole superpower thing is garbage, but I think my ASD is why I was so resistant to peer pressure as a teenager.

I used to have dyscalculia, and its one of the most tragic things that inhibits otherwise hard working people from advancing, completely under mentioned in societal discourse.

The whole superpower thing is garbage I agree, like maybe 20 percent of autistic people have actually applicable "super power" which gets them a good income, the 80 percent who can't translate it to work skills will get s**t on.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2023, 6:23 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

^THIS^ I actually got diagnosed with it and everytime I heard that autistic people are supposed to be oh so good at math, I want to strangle the person who says it.