Are all people with autism picky about food

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2023, 7:52 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Exclusions that make we wanna hurl (or actually hurl), under all circumstances -

Chocolate
Dark Chocolate

I feel like I spend a large part of my life eating chocolate. 8O

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2023, 8:09 pm

I’ve told this to many medical professionals, but nobody believes me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 8:09 pm

Just the smell of it makes me nauseated. ^

Sometimes I can have a migraine for 3 or 4 days just smelling a chocolate chip cookie.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 12:25 am

For autistics, I think my family count as non-picky. We would eat just about anything that's not on the allergy list. Bland, spicy, bitter, mushy, oily, whatever. If I overcook something nobody complains and just eat them up anyway. So it's definitely not "all" people, but probably quite common.

I always wondered if one lives in an impoverished region and doesn't have a choice in food, do autistic kids starve themselves to death there? My dad (autistic) from a very poor family was not picky as a kid, or most of his adult life. He only became a very picky eater when he became rich enough to buy anything he wanted.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 3:17 am

I am a picky eater

I don't like onions (unless they are caramelized, French fried onions or onion rings) sour cream (unless it's mixed into other food) cream cheese (unless it's with sushi) cottage cheese, pre-shredded cheese, Velveeta processed cheese, ranch dressing (probably because of onions and buttermilk in the ingredients) etc

I have gotten better about it as an adult though and I'm willing to try different things!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 6:31 am

"I don't think you'll ever find that ALL autistics are ever anything. Some are for various reasons, and some are not. Just like Neurotypical folks."
THIS
I came here to say this and somebody had...(many of us said something similar)already said it.

This is just as much a stereotype as any other.

Although autistic sensory struggles can include issues with eating, smell, appearance, taste, texture, not one of us is affected exactly the same.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 6:58 am

I was described as a 'picky eater' as a child. I was severely underweight and this caused my family a great deal of anxiety. The Dr's didnt know what to do, as then, there was a poor understanding of sensory drivers for avoidant behaviour around food.

I currently am diagnosed under DSM5 with ARFID (Avoidant & Restricted Food Intake Disorder) - the assessment was carried out by the London Eating Disorder Centre.

I cannot tolerate wet food of any kind and will only eat 4 food items. Meal replacement bars, cream crackers, twiglets and oat milk. The meal replacement bars were a 'game changer' for me as they are nutritionally balanced and allow my to maintain my weight. Before these I really struggled with this. I am now very happy how things are and no longer worry about food. At 5'11" and just over 9 stone I dont think that Im ever going to be 'large' though!

My eating is primarily driven by sensory aspects of food and there is also an element of the connotations that various foods and the 'eating meals' process have for me. Some foods remind me of certain animals/insects and I have a profound aversion to the social expectations and rituals around communal eating.

Years ago it was queried as to whether I was suffering from Anorexia - however, as my behaviour is not driven by thoughts related to body image or the results of trauma then I do not fit the diagnostic criteria for this.

If you are not familiar with ARFID do Google it and have a read.

Until recently I worked as a clinician in childrens neurodevelopmental services and it was accepted that there was a much higher incidence of ARFID within the cohort of Autistic children and young people who accessed our services.

I now work in adult Autism diagnostic services and I would say that more than 75% of the Autistic people I assess have distinct preferences and aversions in relation to food.

Also, I spend a lot of time with other Autistic adults in the local community and a significant number fit into this category.

At home we are an Autistic household. Of the 4 of us 2 have distinct ARFID characteristics (I am the more extreme of the 2!) whilst the other 2 are not 'fussy' or 'picky' at all. So its a 50% incidence domestically.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 8:34 am

I am shocked and disturbed that some people in the thread are repulsed by chocolate.

Chocolate is life. :star:

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2023, 8:37 am

I'm a very picky eater and always have been. Much of it texture-based. I also don't like foods mixing on my plate and eat one thing at a time, usually in a specific sequence every time.

This despite me being seemingly less autistic than most of the people here.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2023, 1:09 am

Like a lot of autistic people I tend to eat food in a very particular way.

I will eat the items on my plate in a particular order, vegtables, potatoes and then the meat / fish.

I am also known for picking things out of dishes where everything is served up mixed together. I argue that my table manners are OK. I use a knife / fork and do not make a disgusting display to others, I only stick a modest amount of food in my mouth and I chew with it shut.

So if someone is offended by my eating habits then I think that they have a problem.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2023, 1:05 pm

Not 'picky' exactly, as if I have the next few days free then I'll willingly try anything. But a lot of food makes me sick, so I have a very restricted diet most of the time. But even then, I'll occasionally go nuts eating things that I know will make me ill but I just like the taste of! I just have to accept that I'll feel like roadkill for the next 48 hours+ :lol:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 2:12 pm

When you say "all" and there is one exception, the whole statement is false

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2023, 2:24 pm

Patrick22348 wrote:
Patrick22348 wrote:
Of all the foods I've eaten, Chinese/Shanghai and Singaporean/Malaysian food were the only ones that I felt was garbage.

And I can't stand seeing people eating it as if it is good, it makes me want to smack them in the face.

sounds kinda racist but okay

srsly was that last line really necessary?

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2023, 2:36 pm

oh but on the subject of picky eating, yeah i've often been accused of being a "picky eater" by narcissistic wasps who just weren't very good cooks. i'll actually eat just about anything if it's properly seasoned.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 9:52 pm

Ok, so apparently I misremembered about my childhood pickiness. Apparently I was extremely picky and would only eat a few things like chicken nuggets, pizza, etc. I asked my mom about it.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 1:18 am

I'm picky. I'll try new things, but I have a lot of yuck foods because of texture. Green beans are my worst yuck food. I've tried because people expect you to, but seriously, heck that noise.