Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 2:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Low Non-Verbal means I don't learn without the use of direct words. I have an audio-visual processing disorder. That means I don't learn by watching people do things or by watching videos. That's probably because I can't picture things, so whatever I see can't be retained in my memory. That's why I'm face blind and I walk around in the dark hating daylight. In daylight there's too much visual input and my brain doesn't know what to do with it.

I'm very poor at making inferences because I need language and words in order to think. I can't just guess or predict. I can't even make decisions based on emotions because I have Alexithymia, meaning I don't know how to interpret my own feelings in the first place. If I'm dealing with another person's emotions they need to tell me in words what they're feeling or what happened. I can't just look at their face and understand, or read between the lines about their emotional state. It needs to be direct.

The poor auditory means I don't learn by listening, either. My ADHD gets in the way and I'm thinking about other things by the time the person stops talking. My mind is really fast but also has a delay in processing what it hears, so I"m always a few steps ahead or behind with comprehension.

If I want to learn something I need to read it in words, or explain it in words for others. Ideally the words are written and not spoken or heard. That's why I'm on here so much reading and writing to process thoughts.

5th percentile means only 5% of people my age are worse at Non-Verbal than I am.
25th pencentile for verbal is actually considered average and not great.
It means 25% of people are better with language than me.

Oh wait no, it means I'm better at language than 25% of people.
That's still not very great.
I used to excel in written language in my career but I guess my strokes killed my brain.

I am the opposite as I am a visual thinker who needs to picture things in my mind. My Mums mind works in words.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 2:29 pm

Think I have been forgotton again... Uhmmm. Give up! :D

Last edited by Mountain Goat on Febuary 31st, 2026, 12:42 am, edited 126 time in total.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 10:11 pm

No, don't give up, you have been so patient for so long!

If the assessment place is easy to get to, go there and ask what's going on with your case. If you can't use the internet at home for your testing, ask if you could possibly do it in a quiet place on their premises. Tell them about the difficulties you have doing it otherwise.

Or ::winces:: call them. Write down what you need to say beforehand. This actually does work, I've done it with success before.

Just don't give up!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 5:55 am

I just have to wait. I don't like not knowing when it will be and what is happening. Think something has happened at their end as they mentioned something personal has happened to someone? Hope things are ok...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 11:02 am

Just had the second part of the assessment which was online. It was clarifying a few things fromnthe first part. Am partially shut down and nurvous/relieved/on edge/intermally shaky (like being shaky externally but internally). Is like I am in shock but not know what I am in shock about because he was very nice, though it took me hearly half an hour to get the online thingie to work. Not sure why.
Don't know more yet. He said he will email me things so I can go through them to check what he has put so as to clarify them (Check if they are correct or not) and something about other online meetings.
Don't know where this is leading yet because I don't know which bits were autism related bits and which were allistic bits... Was a lot about my childhood history and my history.
Was asked about if I can cook. Well. Not really! :D Haha! I can use the microwave? :D (If I can read the smallprint which is not so easy these days even with my glasses on! :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 8:41 pm

Today I completed the last part of the assessment. I feel relieved.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 10:18 pm

I'm glad the assessment went well for you. I'm looking forward to hearing about the results.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 12:16 am

Hooray for Mountain Goat...! :D

where ever you go ,there you are

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2024, 4:59 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Today I completed the last part of the assessment. I feel relieved.

Bloody hell, so am I! And I'm sure others are too.

Was the last part of your assessment online or in person?

In any case, good on you! :D

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 1:19 pm

People go through such BS to have get their conditions recognized . It is just sad,, and then , that same person might get put off on their assessment for many many years . or just plain ignored hoping , the patient would just go away. So then the same person might even get to the point of old age or just die off. So the Medical establishment.
Does not have to do extra paperwork . Or pay out long deserved funds . And who knows what might happen to these peoples lives, had their situation been recognized earlier . If all that time ,you had no idea a undiagnosed condition
might have led to a much better outcome in their lives If treated .Instead of that person just thinking they were crazy , and or possibly attempted suicide , by that time . :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are