Interests you can't share with other people

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 7:17 am

DirkGently69 wrote:
jamie0.0 wrote:
i'm not sure if it is a special interest.
but i do know a lot about serial killers, mass shooters and terrorists.

now, i'm a very calm man, not a finger i would lay on a butterfly. i don't know why but i find these cases very interesting.

once i info dumped on someone about a particular case, i wont make that mistake again. he never talked to me the same again.

i also know way too much about sexual fetishes. surprisingly, with the right people, this can be a good insightful topic of conversation. but i have to be selective about who i talk about it with.

i'm just really interested in the extreme cases of the brain, something that i think is wrong but someone thinks is right, i really want to know why they think the way that they do.

I also know way too much about sexual fetishes, lol. I find it fascinating what people like and dislike. Whilst I only know a little about serial killers etc, it’s still an interesting subject. When I was a young teen, I was fascinated by the paranormal, particularly about spontaneous human combustion. I shared this knowledge with whoever would listen, until my grandmother told me to stop, as I was making other kids uncomfortable.

Actually I earned some social cachet from collecting supposedly true tales of the paranormal. The kids on the black one night decided to gather around to "tell ghost stories". I became the star teller of ghost stories and it became a thing that the kids, but I had to be there because "ghost stories just arent ghost if you're not there". And I earned a reputation for several blocks around. I was just good at framing stuff I had read as a story and was good at dramatic pauses or whatever while story telling.

That was when I was a kid.

I still am an "interested skeptic" in things like Bigfoot. But with adults its not really cool. If I hang with friends they dont wanna watch "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal channel.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2023, 7:42 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
She's never expressed any intrest anyway but if she did I probably wouldn't let her becuase she'd correct me about any grammar or spelling mistake instead of the story itself. This isn't a school assignment. If people bully me for my poor grammar or not making a paragraph "correctly", I think that says more about them than it does me. I'm writing this story for fun, not for someone with a fetish for perfect grammar.

Criticizing someone's poor spelling and grammar is bullying? Strange take for someone with autism, a condition that frequently results in attention to detail to the point of being pedantic and nitpicky.

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
I uh...have sexual fantasies about fictional characters...

That's probably not uncommon.

If it's a problem probably depends in a large part on the character. Sexually fantasizing about Tony Stark is very different from sexually fantasizing about Bugs Bunny, even though they're both fictional characters.

I think if you fantasize about a fictional character or an impossible scenario it's probably a good idea to psychoanalyze yourself a bit. Try to determine what it is about the character or scenario that's turning you on. There is probably some useful realization within the fantasy.

jamie0.0 wrote:
i'm not sure if it is a special interest. but i do know a lot about serial killers, mass shooters and terrorists.

now, i'm a very calm man, not a finger i would lay on a butterfly. i don't know why but i find these cases very interesting.

I have a close friend (never diagnosed with anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's slightly iADHD) who is a very sweet woman and not violent, but she's long been fascinated by serial killers and the like. She pursued a career in the criminal justice field as a result. She doesn't hide it, but she also doesn't discuss the (literally) gory details with most people.

naturalplastic wrote:
I still am an "interested skeptic" in things like Bigfoot. But with adults its not really cool. If I hang with friends they dont wanna watch "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal channel.

Interesting skeptic is similar way I'd describe my interest in cryptozoology and UFOs. I was very interested as a child, but as an adult I've come to understand how much fakery and urban legend and flimsy evidence surround the topics, obscuring any truth that might be within. Don't get me started on shows like "Ancient Aliens" or "Curse of Oak Island."

However, when someone I already had strong feelings for admitted to their childhood dream of going to Loch Ness to look for Nessie, it was very difficult to restrain myself as I had never told her it was also a childhood dream of mine. (Unfortunately, she had already repeatedly rejected my romantic interest in her.)

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2023, 1:35 am

Any special interest that is too intense. It doesn’t really matter exactly what it is. Mainly because I don’t like the way people react to my most intense special interests. I find people try to tone them down and intervene. So I’ve just learnt to make an effort to hide my most intense special interests. Even more “NT” interests like style/makeup. I find with more socially acceptable interests like that people react more weirdly when I go “overboard” as opposed to “quirkier” interests like studying Finnish.

I don’t mind when people know I’m studying Finnish. If people have to define me by an interest, I’d prefer it to be something that doesn’t say all that much about me like Finnish. Finnish isn’t my main special interest right now, so I don’t act overly intense about it. The last language I studied was my main special interest, so I didn’t want too many to know I was studying it. It sort of devoured my whole personality to be honest. Finnish doesn’t feel like my whole personality.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 1:46 am

People don't seem to understand my fascination with mental disorders. They think of my interest in learning about them, especially the ones I am diagnosed with, as a bad thing.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 2:53 am

I have this weird thing about not wanting anyone to see what I'm watching on YTube "weremy braille display will literally not let me type that correctly) because I can get on some weird rabbit holes, and I've been made fun of way too many times. I think the one I live in fear of people finding out about is a message board I go on. I love going on message boards about my special interests because I want to talk about them, but most people in my life couldn't give two flips. Years ago I was looking for forums about plushies because that's my main special interest, and I found a really awesome forum where I learned a lot about plushies. The thing that was awkward for anybody else to see was that it's a fetish site. They probably wonder what I'm doing there because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who would go there regularly who didn't have the fetish. Sadly the forum is barely active anymore, but I used to live in dread that someone would see the laptop.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2023, 7:00 am

TikvaBall wrote:
I found a really awesome forum where I learned a lot about plushies. The thing that was awkward for anybody else to see was that it's a fetish site.

My brain is really having trouble comprehending why someone would get turned on by plushies.

I will probably sleep better at night not knowing.

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 2:02 pm

Well sometimes our brains can do some interesting things. Please don't make fun of them. Most of them are really good people.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2023, 2:18 pm

TikvaBall wrote:
I think the one I live in fear of people finding out about is a message board I go on. I love going on message boards about my special interests because I want to talk about them, but most people in my life couldn't give two flips. Years ago I was looking for forums about plushies because that's my main special interest, and I found a really awesome forum where I learned a lot about plushies. The thing that was awkward for anybody else to see was that it's a fetish site. They probably wonder what I'm doing there because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who would go there regularly who didn't have the fetish. Sadly the forum is barely active anymore, but I used to live in dread that someone would see the laptop.

I sometimes avoid telling people I'm a furry for similar reasons. Personally I'm not interested in it for sexual reasons, but a lot of people think that's what the entire fandom is about. I don't have anything against that part of the fandom, I just wish people didn't jump to the conclusion that all of it is automatically sexual when it's not.

As a side note, I think I've encountered that forum before when I was looking for plushie communities outside of reddit (they aren't my special interest but I love plushies). Maybe I should have stuck around, it sounds like it had some good general plushie info

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 2:23 pm

Corollary to my earlier post: Other people probably won't be interested in the same things as me...life will likely be easier for both of us if I don't talk about my interests.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2023, 3:56 pm

Weight Of Memory wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
She's never expressed any intrest anyway but if she did I probably wouldn't let her becuase she'd correct me about any grammar or spelling mistake instead of the story itself. This isn't a school assignment. If people bully me for my poor grammar or not making a paragraph "correctly", I think that says more about them than it does me. I'm writing this story for fun, not for someone with a fetish for perfect grammar.

Criticizing someone's poor spelling and grammar is bullying? Strange take for someone with autism, a condition that frequently results in attention to detail to the point of being pedantic and nitpicky.

This sounds like a criticism but I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying they're bad at being autistic because they don't want someone to focus on their grammar and spelling instead of their story? (sorry if I'm misunderstanding)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 4:19 pm

I had a thing for Nazi Germany from 2016 until 2018. It was mostly a distraction from problems I had until I had a surgery done in late 2018.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 4:21 pm

Since my early teens I have been fascinated by reading about and wanting to learn more about extreme political movements on the far right, crazy sects, networks of conspiracy theorists and other groups with extreme world views. I have read a lot of books and watched documentaries on these subjects. It's the "craziness" of their ideas, the paranoid borderline pathological world view of these groups, that fascinate me. I have no reason to hide this from other people but they find it hard to share my interest in learning more about a "bunch of lunatics".

Last edited by BillyTree on 12 Nov 2023, 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 4:22 pm

I have an interest in human anatomy and human decomposition (and the anatomy and decomposition of other animals to a lesser degree, I guess). I used to look at gore sites and subreddits a lot. Only a couple people ever knew that I did that (online friends that also did). I sometimes still check out things like that, but I feel weird as an adult about it so I usually stop immediately. Mainly because the sources for those things are sketchy and involve developing countries with iffy privacy laws (like a lot of them are crimescene photos and stuff from suicides/murders).

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 4:28 pm

Are there websites for the body farms they have in the U.S?

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 4:31 pm

DirkGently69 wrote:
Are there websites for the body farms they have in the U.S?

I don't really know. I haven't looked at that type of stuff much in the past year, and I mostly kept it to a couple subreddits that are somehow still up. I've seen some pictures and videos from body farms from those subreddits, but I don't know if they really publicly publish their findings that often if that's what you're curious about.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2023, 4:52 pm

People fatally crushed by elevators. This got kicked off several years ago when a video went viral of a Chinese college student, caught on the video inside the elevator, who upon getting into the elevator, the floor started rising. As he was trying to get onto the floor, the guy behind him tried to pull him away. The result was that he was wedged in a way where he was asphyxiated to death. I scoured YTube through-and-through for any elevator fatal video I could find (only like three), but recently I discovered a new one in which a child is killed (though he wasn't crushed or trapped; he fell off the elevator floor between the floor and the frame, and you could see him falling because the doors are open. This topic certainly wouldn't fly too well at a party of NTs.