Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2023, 10:55 pm

It's now understood that dreaming outside of REM sleep is not uncommon. However, it seems like I start dreaming immediately upon falling asleep. Under some circumstances this might be caused by stimulation from the environment (like falling asleep in class - I'm hearing the teacher and other students). But I've dozed off on a quiet car ride and immediately started dreaming. On the rare occasions I lay down for a short nap (well under 30 minutes) in a quiet room I still immediately start dreaming, despite it supposedly taking upwards of 30 minutes to reach N3, which includes memory processing). Sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep and seeming drifting off slowly, drifting in and out of sleep, or start to sleep only to be jolted by phone notification I start dreaming simple scenes even though I'm barely asleep or asleep for only a few minutes.

In general, I dream a lot, and can often remember my dreams. Thankfully, I've never had night terrors or sleep paralysis.

Anybody else similarly quick to dream?

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 4:04 am

I was thinking about this not long ago. As soon as I fall asleep I dream. I'm wondering if that's REM sleep straight away. Is this normal? It doesn't matter where I fall asleep either, I'll still dream.

I don't have much else to say about it except that I'm the same as you in regards to sleep and dreaming.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 5:19 am

Sometimes.

Even when I'm half awake, before actually falling asleep. Even at naps that lasted for 5 mins.

And even those times when after waking up, it's only as if I only laid down and closed my eyes -- not really asleep -- yet I did dreamed despite... Not really being asleep.

Or heck, how about those times that I could've sworn that my eyes are closed and my head's covered by a blanket and yet I'm seeing the ceiling....
Until I moved my hand, to find that my head is actually covered and then being awake for real.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 5:46 am

I absolutely start to dream while I'm falling asleep. Sometimes that's how I notice that I'm falling asleep: my thoughts are becoming nonsensical and creating a narrative that can't be real (which are the beginnings of a dream).

I don't know whether this always happens, given that most of the time I simply fall asleep, and unless something wakes me up just as I'm falling asleep I don't have the chance to notice if I had been dreaming.

I once read that dreaming while awake is a symptom of narcolepsy. But I certainly don't have narcolepsy.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 8:08 am

I've done a few clinical sleep studies and they show that I'm a very light sleeper and I enter the first stage of sleep when I think I'm still awake. I kept insisting I was awake until x-o'clock and they kept insisting I was clinically asleep. During that time I wasn't in REM sleep and wasn't considered to be "clinically" dreaming, but I was having what I thought were scattered random thoughts associated with being tired.

I also have hypnagogia and hypnopompia. I get them mixed up, but whichever one means you're falling asleep is the one that I thought I was experiencing, but they told me I was already asleep. I wasn't having the condition and I wasn't dreaming but I was sleeping so lightly that I was still aware of my own jumbled thoughts.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2023, 3:44 pm

bee33 wrote:
I once read that dreaming while awake is a symptom of narcolepsy. But I certainly don't have narcolepsy.

I'm not sure how much ADHD causes narcolepsy-like symptoms.

If I'm not mentally engaged I get drowsy. Happened in church a lot as a kid. Sometimes in school or boring meetings. Thankfully not while driving.

I nearly fell asleep sitting up during a recent lecture I attended; I was interested in the subject but the speaker didn't have a strongly engaging style. I never quite fell asleep and very soon afterwards was back to normal without ever having a nap.

However, it's very erratic when it happens. I've also noticed I get drowsy when dehydrated; I usually need a bottle of water more than a cup of coffee.

I've also nodded off twice during rock concerts, but I think I was just exhausted by the long festival day and overstimulation.

I did sleepwalk on several occasions as a child, according to my mother, but as far as I know never as a teen or adult.

I'm probably a light sleeper. I can't sleep with a light, TV, music, etc unless I'm really exhausted. I sleep poorly if I'm warm or cold.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 6:35 pm

So does dreaming all night mean I'm not getting the deep sleep I need? I'm not a regular 8 hours every night sleeper. I need 12+. And I know that's not normal.

I have had sleep paralysis upon waking three times. I'm glad it's only been those few times because it's really scary. I have also sleepwalked but that was under the influence of SeroquelXR. I was sort of aware of what I was doing then.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 1:18 pm

I've had reoccurring dreams since childhood. And for the longest time had dreams that were so vivid I would ask in the dream if I was dreaming and couldn't tell the difference between a dream and reality.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2023, 2:22 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I've had reoccurring dreams since childhood. And for the longest time had dreams that were so vivid I would ask in the dream if I was dreaming and couldn't tell the difference between a dream and reality.

"This is just like those dreams I keep having, but this time it's real" is something I say in my dreams every few weeks. I've had a number of times where I've woken up from a dream into another dream. Frustrating and a little disorienting.