A book recommendation "What I Mean When I Say I'm Autistic"

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 5:51 am

The full info is:

What I Mean When I Say I'm Autistic: Unpuzzling a Life on the Autism Spectrum Kindle Edition
by Annie Kotowicz

Found here https://neurobeautiful.com/book/ or on Amazon.

It seems to be a helpful book so far. This is the blurb:

Quote:
In this intimate and insightful mix of memoir and manifesto, Annie Kotowicz invites you inside the mind of an autistic woman, sharing the trials and triumphs of a life before and after diagnosis.

How might it feel to be autistic? Why are autistic and non-autistic people so puzzling to one another? How does neuroscience explain the spectrum of autistic traits? And what could you discover about your own mind—neurotypical or neurodivergent—through learning about another?

Drawing on popular stories from her blog Neurobeautiful—along with memories never shared before—Annie Kotowicz has created a nuanced analysis of her autistic thinking, an engaging guide to autistic thriving, and a beautiful celebration of autistic brains.

What I Mean When I Say I’m Autistic will inspire autistic people and those who love them, offering help and hope to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of the autism spectrum.

I noticed this book due to the quote: 'some people correct factual errors as a power move.'

That had never occurred to me. I correct factual errors because I think it will help people; they will be interested in a correct fact; and it might keep them safe from any bad consequences of their mistake.

But NTs don't view it as that! They think I'm trying to undermine their authority/ climb higher in their precious pecking order/ humiliate them.

Of course I'm not!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 3:46 pm

I'd like to get myself a physical copy of that book. It looks like it would be a great read.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 4:21 pm

I got a Kindle copy because it was free, but you can get a physical book from Amazon.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 7:27 pm

That sounds really good. Do you think it would be a helpful book to give to a friend or family member to help them understand you (me)?

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2023, 7:41 pm

Thank you! In case anyone didn't catch it, this book is free for the Kindle version right now!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 3:56 pm

bee33 wrote:
That sounds really good. Do you think it would be a helpful book to give to a friend or family member to help them understand you (me)?

I'll let you know when I've read it :) I read a lot of books, I have to pace myself :?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 5:45 am

I got a hard copy of the book. I've only skimmed it but it seems very good.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 8:26 am

That's great to know, Bee!