Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Dec 2023, 6:54 pm

So I (16NB) go to a public highschool in the south. Down here prejudice against queer, disabled, and POC people is pretty intense. Since I'm 2 out of the 3 it's been pretty rough. I have incredibly severe auditory sensory issues (whistling being the main trigger) which are so bad it can lead to meltdown and damage to myself and personal property.

People know this and find any way possible to trigger it because it's funny or something to cause someone severe pain I guess. IDK If they realize I am autistic because I don't have an aid like the other neurodivergent students and because other than social performance and reaction to sensory triggers it might be difficult for some people to tell. I did recently get ear defenders but they only muffle noise.

So the TLDR is; Is it a hate crime to intentionally trigger an autistic person's sensory issues, specifically after they tell you it physically hurts?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 7:09 pm

That's for the courts to decide.

It is, however, incredibly cruel. They may as well kick the crutches out from under someone just to watch them fall.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 7:15 pm

I don't believe that would meet the criteria of a hate crime, although you'll want to read your local laws for more insight.

It doesn't mean I wouldn't bang their face off of a urinal at the first opportunity. It's a shame when one of your bullies has a severe accident that you're the only witness to and they aren't able to clearly recall due to the head injury.

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Dec 2023, 11:59 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I don't believe that would meet the criteria of a hate crime, although you'll want to read your local laws for more insight.

It doesn't mean I wouldn't bang their face off of a urinal at the first opportunity. It's a shame when one of your bullies has a severe accident that you're the only witness to and they aren't able to clearly recall due to the head injury.

I think they see it as okay because my disability isn't physical and I'm still in the process of actually getting a diagnosis so accommodations are incredibly scarce

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 12:13 pm

Well, if it's harming you then I'd much rather they didn't, and this bullying lark makes me angry. I don't see much point in trying to figure out whether or not it's technically a hate crime. I'm wary of the term. It seems to be some kind of legal term to justify extra punishment for offenses that come within its umbrella, but I'd prefer the law to confine itself to deciding the level of harm the offender is guilty of, and to a few other things too complicated to discuss here.

What is hate anyway?
"to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest."
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hate

I doubt they hate you in that sense. They're probably just going through that sadistic phase that kids in some bad environments are allowed to express, and they've found what they think is an easy target. Not that I think that means you should defend yourself any less vigorously. Are your caregivers interested in helping you fix it?

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Dec 2023, 12:34 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Well, if it's harming you then I'd much rather they didn't, and this bullying lark makes me angry. I don't see much point in trying to figure out whether or not it's technically a hate crime. I'm wary of the term. It seems to be some kind of legal term to justify extra punishment for offenses that come within its umbrella, but I'd prefer the law to confine itself to deciding the level of harm the offender is guilty of, and to a few other things too complicated to discuss here.

What is hate anyway?
"to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest."

I doubt they hate you in that sense. They're probably just going through that sadistic phase that kids in some bad environments are allowed to express, and they've found what they think is an easy target. Not that I think that means you should defend yourself any less vigorously. Are your caregivers interested in helping you fix it?

No. I've tried explaining but they're both incredibly condescending and are refusing to even consider the possibility of me even being autistic even though my mom has said multiple times I probably am. It's very hypocritical.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 3:43 pm

FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

What is hate anyway?

No. I've tried explaining but they're both incredibly condescending and are refusing to even consider the possibility of me even being autistic even though my mom has said multiple times I probably am. It's very hypocritical.

Teachers?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 4:18 pm

To make it a hate crime, it would have to be discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, or gender identity...it doesn't seem to apply precisely enough to ASD. If as you say, it is difficult to tell that you are neurodivergent it would make it even harder to prove. The law doesn't as yet cover sensory issues in or outside what is considered normal.

It would still be considered bullying by most standards.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 4:40 pm

FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
So I (16NB) go to a public high school in the south. Down here prejudice against queer, disabled, and POC people is pretty intense.

And good luck with getting any sort of fair verdict from a court down there. It's a good place to move away from when you're an adult...

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Dec 2023, 7:19 am

old_comedywriter wrote:
FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
So I (16NB) go to a public high school in the south. Down here prejudice against queer, disabled, and POC people is pretty intense.

And good luck with getting any sort of fair verdict from a court down there. It's a good place to move away from when you're an adult...

Yeah. My goal is to move to canada or maybe at the least salem

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:11 am

FlintLovesBonnie wrote:
old_comedywriter wrote:
FlintLovesBonnie wrote:

Yeah. My goal is to move to canada or maybe at the least salem

Canada's a great country. People are much more tolerant here and we have lots of natural beauty.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:35 am

There is bullying route you can go through if it happens in work / college.

If in society depends what they do

With sensory bullying- what is classed as “reasonable” and if it’s directly targeted at you? It’s reasonable for people to shout or play loud music during the day for example but not play heavy metal at 3am.

Maybe visit your local police for advice

- George Bernie Shaw

FlintLovesBonnie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Dec 2023, 1:18 pm

carlos55 wrote:
There is bullying route you can go through if it happens in work / college.

If in society depends what they do

With sensory bullying- what is classed as “reasonable” and if it’s directly targeted at you? It’s reasonable for people to shout or play loud music during the day for example but not play heavy metal at 3am.

Maybe visit your local police for advice

I would but the police where I live aren't great. Im not just saying that to be so edgy kid saying acab and all that but genuinely because when i've reported things (s/a, assault, etc.) they haven't done anything

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 8:13 am

I think the other posters have covered the legal aspects well.

Bullies operate by finding weaknesses in other people and using every opportunity to exploit these weaknesses to hurt their victims. There is a lot of emphases these days on the supposed bigoted motivation of the bullies. Many bullies are bigots, there is a link but not all bullies are bigots. Who bullies are most of all are sadists.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 10:04 am

No, that's bullying.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 9:39 pm

Not a hate crime, but it's definitely very nasty bullying. The bullies need to be taught the error of their ways, one way or another.