DBT Book - Has anyone read/used this book?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 12:54 pm

I recently purchased this workbook to try and attempt to manage my anxieties, and was wondering if anyone else has used this book before.

If not, I could do a review on it.

book link

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 4:33 pm

haven't tried this book but daughter had a whole stack/course of work pages and reading from her therapist using DBT as a workbook... it was overwhelming and intimidating and I could not do it... not sure if too many emotions and memories to process or what, but did not get very far. It would be interesting to find out what you think as you read it or after you finish it.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 9:38 pm

autisticelders wrote:
haven't tried this book but daughter had a whole stack/course of work pages and reading from her therapist using DBT as a workbook... it was overwhelming and intimidating and I could not do it... not sure if too many emotions and memories to process or what, but did not get very far. It would be interesting to find out what you think as you read it or after you finish it.

I've flipped through it and it's more reading than a workbook. I'm a little disappointed about that. The space available to write down your answers is small. I think I might just write all over the margins. Once I get into the book, my review will surely change.

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 12:11 pm

update

there are some helpful tips/resources/exercises, but i don't think it was a good fit for me personally.

~~~~

vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2024, 12:50 pm

I didn't find thos book helpful, but in general I had harmful and poor outcomes from therapy, CBT specifically. Maybe it's helpful for someone else though.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 1:06 pm

https://nevadaautism.com/can-dbt-be-use ... with%20ASD.
Difference between DBT and Cognitive -Behavioral Therapy
It’s easy to confuse DBT with CBT, but the two therapies have some important differences. CBT is a therapy that focuses on helping patients change their negative thoughts and behaviors. In contrast, DBT focuses on helping patients accept their thoughts and behaviors while teaching them how to manage the things they can control.

vergil96

03 Feb 2024, 1:27 pm

While it is exactly the problem with CBT for me is encouraging even more repression than I do and that is already harming me, it's just a book I've read about DBT and a few other guides, and while the approach of acceptance is helpful, I don't find the presented methods to self-regulate helpful , acceptance alone isn't sufficient and to be honest, I would be happy to know how to achieve good self-regulation. I mean, sure, I can grind my teeth and not show how awful I'm feeling, but I'd rather not feel awful in the first place.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 6:09 pm

What I've done is to reduce my shopping stress.

I'll go during week day mornings when it is less crowded. Or use Google to see whether they think the store is busy.

Sometimes Target will be super busy. I'll turn around and leave. I live just a few minutes from the stores and can easily return at a later time.

Same thing with a restaurant that didn't have what I planned to order. I just left and went home.

I have canned and frozen food at home so I could go weeks without shopping.