Overwhelmed by so many restricted interests

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 1:55 am

I have so many broad range of restricted interests, that it fluctuates overtime and It will take me a long time to list all of them, because I create new ones as well.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 9:25 am

It's nice to have interests. Are you saying that you are unable to focus because you have too many?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 1:34 pm

bee33 wrote:
It's nice to have interests. Are you saying that you are unable to focus because you have too many?

Yes, a little bit.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 3:46 pm

Uhm.. what might constitute a restricted interest ?......nuclear fission on a private basis , might be one to speculate on..
Who is restricting you , on what basis ?...National Security .? This leaves alot open to the imagination .?? 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 4:51 pm

I think that the op is using the term "restricted interest" to mean "an interest in a thing that does extend to related things'.

Like being obsessed with meerkats, but not being into small mammalian critters in general.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 4:54 pm

It's a clinical term for special interest. I tend to over analyze, and overshare my interests way too much.

I will list a few of my special interests, I have many more.

A few of my special interests:

* Psychology

* Science

* Neurology

* Photography

* Different songs

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 6:33 pm

I certainly feel overwhelmed a lot because of the way I work - I'm very careful and attend a great deal to detail, so everything I do takes me a remarkably long time. And I suppose I have a lot of interests, so it doesn't feel good when I realise that I'm likely to die of old age before I've completed half of the projects I want to complete. I can and do think of new things to do much faster than I can do them.

I had to more or less give up photography (developing and printing) because I couldn't resist spending hours on every frame of each film, juggling about with the brightness and contrast so that all the important details were as visible as possible, and cropping to give the most artistically desirable results. As recording music was more important to me and took up a lot of time, the photography had to go. I've still got the enlarger, developing trays and chemicals, because I never gave up hope that I might get back to it one day, but they're about 50 years old now. Of course I've digitised all my negatives, but not to professional quality, because I used an affordable negative scanner which gave mediocre results.

Apart from simple decisions like that (which are painful), I'm not good at prioritising. I find it hard to decide whether one ambition is more important than another, except in extreme cases. I'd also find it hard even to list my ambitions and interests in anything like a complete way.

With music recording, I often notice that I could get a better result if I put in an extra big chunk of time into the process, and it's hard for me to stop myself going that extra mile. I don't get many songs recorded per year because it's such a long process and because the techniques get so complicated that if I take a break for a month or two I can't remember how I did things.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 6:43 pm

That makes sense.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 6:53 pm

Interests restricted by your ASD?  That's just how it is, bubbeleh.  Better get used to it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 7:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
Interests restricted by your ASD?  That's just how it is, bubbeleh.  Better get used to it.

That's so true, my question what "bubbeleh" means.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 1:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I think that the op is using the term "restricted interest" to mean "an interest in a thing that does extend to related things'.

Like being obsessed with meerkats, but not being into small mammalian critters in general.

Got it Thank You ,, sometimes it does not always pay to be overly literal ???
Or more intuitive on yer Part ..? :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 7:53 am

FranzOren wrote:
It's a clinical term for special interest. I tend to over analyze, and overshare my interests way too much.

* Psychology

* Science

* Neurology

* Photography

* Different songs

Some of these are hardly restrictive interests but vast fields that people spend a lifetime studying like science/ neurology for example.

Now if you said studying bunson burners used in high school chemistry experiments , different model numbers on cameras , the psychology of the farm cattle it would be a different story.

That’s what they mean by restrictive interests in ASD.

- George Bernie Shaw

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 9:04 am

How about one interest a day? :) I let my self go crazy for any special interest of the moment if it doesn't last longer than a day or two. It feels great to have obsessions, they boost your dopamine and make you feel smart. Sure some of the interests are probably useless but it probably wouldn't hurt either.

Your interests sound good, I would talk to such a person with those interests. :) But then you have to let me tell you all about my peculiar interests. :D

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 10:22 am

carlos55 wrote:
FranzOren wrote:

* Psychology

* Science

* Neurology

* Photography

* Different songs

Some of these are hardly restrictive interests but vast fields that people spend a lifetime studying like science/ neurology for example.

Now if you said studying bunson burners used in high school chemistry experiments , different model numbers on cameras , the psychology of the farm cattle it would be a different story.

That’s what they mean by restrictive interests in ASD.

I tend to have too much information and overanalyze my my interests, my interests are like endless encyclopedia.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 10:23 am

y-pod wrote:
How about one interest a day? :) I let my self go crazy for any special interest of the moment if it doesn't last longer than a day or two. It feels great to have obsessions, they boost your dopamine and make you feel smart. Sure some of the interests are probably useless but it probably wouldn't hurt either.

Your interests sound good, I would talk to such a person with those interests. :) But then you have to let me tell you all about my peculiar interests. :D

I listened a few of them, but I have many more, it's not specific.

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2024, 11:40 am

How many open windows and/or tabs each of you have on your computer or phone screen? On my phone I have a smiley face instead of number of open tabs indicator, and I have like at least hundred of them: at least ten opened FB pages, several Wikipedias, Wiktionary, Pinterest, Geni.com pages, various medical themes, diy jewelry making, soft soldering techniques, earthquakes, Misirlou lyrics, how to draw zentangles, etc., etc., etc.