Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2007, 8:51 am

In the gay community, there's something known as "gaydar" where a gay man or woman posses the ability to spot another gay person in a crowd. I believe that I have developed something I like to call "aspiedar" where I'm able to detect if someone is an aspie within a few minutes of meeting him/her. I think we all know what to look for when we spot a fellow Aspergerian. Does anyone else posses their own aspiedar?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 8:56 am

I don't, but would like to develop Aspiedar.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 Aug 2007, 8:57 am

i can. its not really that hard to do, most of them go to the rock stores, and music stores i got to, ocasionally i'll see them at cold stone

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2007, 9:01 am

I can spot people who have AS traits, but I think it is just that I'm so much more aware of these characteristics. I'll bet that any motivated, and well informed, NT could do just as well, or better, if they cared enough to try.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 9:23 am

I have seen people at the library I suspect are on the spectrum. I have also seen people with a number of other disabilities.

Cordelia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2007, 9:25 am

Here's my problem...not diagnosed. I've mentioned it to my psychologist; however, she won't listen. She says that my problems are sadness....well, I'm sad becuase I can't read people. I have no friggin' clue on why they do the stupid things they do. I've just learned to always be aware and look for clues.

I've leared to be more NT over the years. It's been really, really touch. What helped is my job moved me often. So, when I screw up - I just move to a new place and then I don't do the same mistake.

What helped me to figure out I am an aspie is my DH has seen all my mistaks and I've always asked him what I do wrong; however, we didn't figure out that it's a 'learning disability' with a name until last year.

So, heres' my question....

How do I figure out someone else is an aspie? What are the signs? The reason I ask is two-fold. I want to have the ability to hide my signs; I also want to know if there's someone else that has my problme that I can relate to.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2007, 9:39 am

I think it helps if you have an awareness of your own symptoms and traits that make you aspie.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Aug 2007, 10:39 am

I find it easy to spot Aspies and NTs who have some Aspie traits.We have superior observation capabilities,it just a case of learning to use them.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 10:55 am

Having read this I associated this with Caliban from the X men whose ability was detecting other mutants. :)

When I was a child, my mother and grandmother used to tell me that there was not a child like me all over the world. And it wasn't complimentary, you can believe me. For all my life I thought to be the only person of my kind in the world. Well, maybe I'm exagerating but only a bit - there were so many people but I was sure that if there was somebody like me, I simply didn't have any chance to meet him/her.

Now I know more but even having recognised some aspie traits in someone I wouldn't generalize that such a person has AS for sure. Having traits is not the same what having AS. After all, a person suspected of being AS may as well be only an intelligent introvert or somebody shy.

Btw, dar means gift or talent in Polish. :)

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 11:24 am

Yep, I have Aspiedar I think.

I do alot of yard sales, garage sales in the summer...I run into quite a few looking around like me trying to add items to their collections.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 11:45 am

I find Asian women always pick me out easily. They can spot me a mile away and will just tell me I am not wanted there (nail salons, hair salons, etc.) immediately.
I can see why, too, the intensive social situation in a culture that has a lot of people/family/communities are highly socialized and structured. I walk in and probably offend their senses on some level that no amount of money for their services will compensate for the offense they feel.

Usually they will just wave me away, one said "no, no,you too hard to work on!" and it was the first time I had been in that shop. I have had a hair dresser stop a perm in the middle of it and take out my rods. . he just couldn't stand working with me. ( he was talking about my weight and said that anyone could lose weight, there were no fat people in the concentration camps in Germany, I said back to him 'no, they died long before they got skinny' and that was it, I was outta there!)

Merle

trying peoples patience for 57 years. . .

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 11:49 am

I would say that I have a very good Aspidar. I set up and help run a social group for Aspies, and often I have to meet new members before meeting outside a university in Dublin. I can spot Aspies by sight within a minute or so. I was wrong once, he was a lost American tourist.

Aspies look like they in a foreign country, they look lost, nervous, confused and isolated - they stand out a mile. Whereas, NTs look allot more relaxed, they look like they are going somewhere, like they belong.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 12:59 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Usually they will just wave me away, one said "no, no,you too hard to work on!" and it was the first time I had been in that shop. I have had a hair dresser stop a perm in the middle of it and take out my rods. . he just couldn't stand working with me. ( he was talking about my weight and said that anyone could lose weight, there were no fat people in the concentration camps in Germany, I said back to him 'no, they died long before they got skinny' and that was it, I was outta there!)

Merle

is that not discrimination/illegal?

they are not nice people.

darkfire627
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2007, 1:13 pm

I don't think I have one. I've only ever met one other person with Asperger's and he seemed just like everyone else to me. My mom had to tell me that he was like me(apparently). I definitely know I don't have a gaydar either. It's never worked for me.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 1:13 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

is that not discrimination/illegal?

they are not nice people.

what am I going to do, call a cop?

they don't have to be nice people, KoR. they really don't. Nice is a bonus, unfortunately , not a right.

Merle

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 1:31 pm

I've been "dismissed" on a few occasions also...but I'd rather have someone wave me away then stand there and try to be nice to me when they really don't want to...at least they're honest, and honesty I can respect.