6-Year-Old Autistic Student Criminally Charged

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fathom73
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2007, 10:57 pm

I can't believe this. This could be my son.

Click Here for news article

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 11:16 pm

It should be a part of a teachers training to know how to handle children with emotional and developmental problems. That teacher should be ashamed of herself. Charging a 6 year old boy who is mentally like a 3 year old!! ! I think Karma will come knocking on her door.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 11:24 pm

What I would like to know... is WHY it happened. I mean, granted, it's pretty cold to be criminally charging a child of his age...

But I still want to know WHY, lol. I'd also like to know how long this child has been in her class, if anything similar has happened before (or almost happened), etc. There had to be something that lead up to this, I mean... was he not supposed to be standing up in class and she just didn't notice he had gotten up, or didn't bother saying anything? Was he having a meltdown beforehand? There had to have been something she noticed beforehand to lead to it, and allow it to get to that point. Granted things like that happen rather sparatically at times. I'd just still like to know more before deciding what I think about this, lol.

Do the parents not do anything about outbursts at all (including simply talking to him)? Not saying it is their fault, but for that to happen, there should have been some signs from before possibly, which just means the method of dealing with it could have possibly been "oh, well he's autistic" rather than getting some help in dealing with the behavior. Hopefully you know what I mean, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.

myeyesseekreality
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2007, 12:43 am

That is obsurd, what a b***h. The sick part is that the criminal procedings are going forward, that is disgusting as well. I don't know this kid. I know that in my case I had to be really messed with to attack my teacher.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 12:49 am

I hope the court tosses this case out on it's ear. That makes me SICK. He is a child, a six year old child with the mental capacity of a three year old. Even if he had the mental capacity of a six year old...criminal charges?

I'm not saying that his behavior was acceptable, it wasn't. He needs help, not punishment. I really hate our school systems and the morons like that woman who make life a nightmare for people already living in a bad dream.

25 Sep 2007, 12:51 am

Did she charge the six year old with it just to teach him not to be violent?

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 12:54 am

Stupidity knows no limits.... [/disgust]

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 1:02 am

Poor child.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

25 Sep 2007, 1:18 am

I can't believe that the teacher aid would charge him!
He is only 6 years old!
I'm not saying that just because he has autism that it is an excuse for his behavior, because there is no excuse. But he does not need to go to juvenile detention...he just needs to learn how to manage his behavior, and get therapy or something.
The school should no better :x

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 1:19 am

likedcalico wrote:
Did she charge the six year old with it just to teach him not to be violent?

I don't think a "normal" child the age of six would have the mental capability to understand court proceedings and punishments.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 1:21 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
What I would like to know... is WHY it happened. I mean, granted, it's pretty cold to be criminally charging a child of his age...

But I still want to know WHY, lol. I'd also like to know how long this child has been in her class, if anything similar has happened before (or almost happened), etc. There had to be something that lead up to this, I mean... was he not supposed to be standing up in class and she just didn't notice he had gotten up, or didn't bother saying anything? Was he having a meltdown beforehand? There had to have been something she noticed beforehand to lead to it, and allow it to get to that point. Granted things like that happen rather sparatically at times. I'd just still like to know more before deciding what I think about this, lol.

Do the parents not do anything about outbursts at all (including simply talking to him)? Not saying it is their fault, but for that to happen, there should have been some signs from before possibly, which just means the method of dealing with it could have possibly been "oh, well he's autistic" rather than getting some help in dealing with the behavior. Hopefully you know what I mean, lol.

You brought up some very good points, my dear!

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 3:36 am

When I was that age there was a boy with worse autism than me (hence why mum didn't think I had any autism even though all the teachers reckoned that was it), and the teacher knew how to handle him when he melted down. We all knew to go to the back of the classroom and she would just hold him and ask him calmly to calm down. I got hit by him once.

I'm glad I'm an Aussie. Teachers seem to be better here.

Anyways, surely the parents had spoken to her and discussed methods of control?

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 3:41 am

I am absolutely appalled at this story - I can't even believe that the authorities are actually seriously following up the incident via the legal system. Thoroughly inappropriate.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 5:00 am

I'm going to write to all the people listed below about this atrocity. Join me if you'd like.

Taylor Elementary
140 Gibson Drive
Brooksville, Kentucky 41004
Phone (606)735-2169
Fax (606)735-2058
Raye Jean Hopper - Principal

Their Mission
"We are here to work as a team to encourage and support all students to achieve academic success and responsible citizenship through a caring and nurturing environment. "

The School District itself:

Bracken County Schools
348 W. Miami St.
Brooksville, KY 41004
(606) 735-2523 Fax 735-3640

http://www.bracken.k12.ky.us/education/ ... 1190710634

Superintendent: [email protected]

Special Education: [email protected]

The principle of the school is either [email protected]

or

[email protected]

Kentucky Governor information:

http://capwiz.com/yo-demo/bio/?id=271

Kentucky Representative information:
http://capwiz.com/yo-demo/bio/?id=130369

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 7:35 am

Obviously the teacher said something that really upset him and she got a bit over the top with this he can't express how upset he is so he hit her I think the teacher is just as much in the wrong.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 8:33 am

I'm so mad about this story I can't even hardly type straight! That woman's job is to take care of special needs kids. If she didn't like what she has to do that's her problem, not a 6 yo boy's. There ARE supposed to be discipline procedures for a child with ASD in the classroom. How does any of that matter if she's treating him like he's a little brat all day? YEAH, he's gonna have a meltdown! I have 2 kids on the spectrum, one is very severe, and the other is high functioning. I study the law regarding schools, and I advocate very, very meticulously for my boys. That para wouldn't have the right to step into a school again by the time that I finished with her if it were my child! I went through a bad situation last year where the special needs preschool was mistreating my youngest boy. I had a disability rights lawyer, along with the special needs education coordinator from his office, and a parent advocate from our local advocacy center willing to go in to a meeting at the school with me.
I hope that when this all over that little boy gets a super wonderful para that's educated in ASD. He deserves it!