Symptoms of AS but not math/science oriented

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

autisticstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2007, 3:02 pm

I don't have an official diagnosis of AS, but most of the symptoms fit me in terms of social awkwardness and feeling like I"m "from another planet". I do have some interest in things of a scientific nature such as astronomy but I have never been strong in math or science in terms of academics. I'm just curious to know if there are any other "Non-Techie" aspies here. I feel frustrated because I get the not so great things about being an aspie but I'm not some sort of math or science whiz.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2007, 3:07 pm

apparently AS is supposed to make you bad at algebra so I dunno...

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 3:25 pm

A lot of female Aspies aren't good at and/or aren't interested in math or science. I'm not particularly good at either of them, and I'm only moderately interested in science.

Here's a quote from this article: What Autistic Girls Are Made Of

Quote:
Baron-Cohen says that he believes that autistic girls are strong systemizers. That quality may manifest itself in letters rather than numbers. But in his view, the thought processes for Asperger's girls mirror those of boys.

BazoQ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2007, 3:25 pm

I have dyscalculia...no math for me. :(

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 3:36 pm

autisticstar wrote:
I don't have an official diagnosis of AS, but most of the symptoms fit me in terms of social awkwardness and feeling like I"m "from another planet". I do have some interest in things of a scientific nature such as astronomy but I have never been strong in math or science in terms of academics. I'm just curious to know if there are any other "Non-Techie" aspies here. I feel frustrated because I get the not so great things about being an aspie but I'm not some sort of math or science whiz.

dad is an aspie and has never had any interest in anything educational apart from puzzles in newspapers but is better at alone hands on things like gardening and bird watching.

liking maths and science and being academic are not compulsory traits in aspergers,so if fit the compulsory criteria for aspergers at least,are aspergan.

aspergers is unique in that beyond the compulsory criteria,the rest is an individual experience, so the person might or might not be into science,aspergans are associated more with science and maths than regular NTs,because of having a more male brain setup,but it is not the same way for every person,especially females.

Last edited by KingdomOfRats on 26 Sep 2007, 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 3:37 pm

You don't have to be a genuis, or amazing at math and science to have Aspergers.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Sep 2007, 4:49 pm

While I am intensely interested in Science and maths, I really struggled at these subjects in school. I also have dyscalculia. My strengths are in the literary.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 4:51 pm

Well I'm not into math or science or technology (other than using a computer) at all.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Sep 2007, 5:01 pm

In school I was interested in science and loved it but algebra really pissed me off. I found out that it was the strange and what seemed to me inconsistant rules that apply to algebra that threw me off. I also moved around alot so I'd hear one year a set of rules and then from another teacher in another school another set of rules or exceptions to the rules and then rules that just didn't make sense at all like how does a positive plus positive equal a negative and vice versa.

Whoever claims that you are supposed to do really well in algebra if you have AS is off. Some people confuse that with how some people with AS have a fascination with numbers like dates, time, license plates, social security numbers and series of numbers. It doesn't mean you are brilliant with algebra.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Sep 2007, 5:18 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet Image
I didn't have a problem with math or science....
But I had plenty of problems with math and science teachers. :evil:
Much of what I know about math, science and electronics I studied on my own.

gitchel
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2007, 5:51 pm

I was really awful at Algebra. It took me five semesters to finally get a year's credit. And I wasn't fond of most other Math either. I can't internalize rules when I'm just told to memorize them and cough them up on the paper later.

On the other hand, I *LOVED* Geometry and Logic. I remember in high school - where I generally had bad grades in anything boring (everything) - that I took a Geometry final and got a perfect score. The teacher was so amazed that he actually accused me of copying from the straight-A student who sat BEHIND me during the test.

Nothing came of it. I guess they couldn't figure out how I could read out of the back of my head. Especially the amount of reading necessary to account for the difference between their expectations and my actual score ;-)

I love reading about Quantum Physics. On the other hand, I'm dodgy on some parts of the multiplication table ;-)

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 5:59 pm

i loved science when I was a kid....I loved reading about it...I loved shows like NOVA and Nature...I had a rock collection....loved books about natural history and dinosaurs...loved reading National Geographics....etc....but when it came to math I was unspeakably horrid....really really really really bad.
Now I think I most likely have discalculea...and my interest in science waned as I got older...so instead of a mild obsession, I have only a passing interest.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 6:02 pm

I second richie,

It was not the math, that is the simplest form of logic, it was the people who did not understand it trying to explain it. It seems either or, math or verbal, and verbal types teach.

So we do it well on our own, discovering teachers are not good at what they teach, only showing up every day to try with an endless stream of knotheads who would never use it anyway. Remember enough to pass the test and everybody gets by.

Some people can quote the book, do any problem, and can not apply it to real problems, others do complex things, invent math, as needed, and claim to be no good at it.

Science used to be an art form, like music, till those Ruskies launched Sputnik, then it was taken over by Homeland Secruity, and government science is still running a 1968 space shuttle, and have no idea why.

When Ronald Regan found out scientific papers were published for peer review, he put an end to that.

Like Bush said, Science, now that's important.

While government locked down science, they had nothing to do with the computer revolution. They control space, which no one wants or has a use for. They tried to control the Internet, but one, did not understand it, and two, it changes faster than they can draft and pass laws.

They are not good with numbers. They saw China as a billion customers, and got a billion competitors.

They used to just hire a scientist to say, Lead is good for small children. Like they used Priests before that, God wants this war.

Computers, invention, drive a lot of the economy, and it is done by people without proper degrees, or government permission. That Bill Gates guy is just a Freshman dropout.

I am fairly sure he could not pass Freshman Algebra.

WP is full of people who act without permission.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2007, 6:11 pm

I always had trouble with mathematics. I liked science but could of never really got into it.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 6:51 pm

I have two sons, one who is age 21 who isn't a big math or science guy. He can do them relatively well, he's just not interested in them. He's kind of a geography geek. Our 11 year old is the same, although math is harder for him. He is a lot more interested in science than his brother, but not particularly gifted in that arena. Both boys are gifted in music, though, and that is especially where the 11-year-old's interests lie.

Kris

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 7:01 pm

I had problems with basic math, then they trotted in algebra, I was constantly confused, then finally I got the hang of algebra, and lo and behold the bastards made us do geometry!! Floundered in geometry, barely passed, and when I got a peek at calculus, stuck to the creative arts side of things.

We all have slightly different symptoms, we all have slightly different strengths.

I knew one lad in school who was an absolute math genius, he was NT, he was social, he did Bill Cosby routines, he was good looking.

One of the only people I've ever hated and admired at the same time ....