Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 3:41 pm

I went to an Ethiopian resturant for the first time last night...the food was very good and the method of eating intriguing...you use small pieces of spoungy bread to pick up morsels of food...very cool. Has anyone else here had Ethiopian food before...what did you think?

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 4:04 pm

Ethiopian food......isn't that an oxymoron?

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 4:06 pm

Yeah, I was thinking "Ethiopians have food?!".

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 4:32 pm

thatrsdude wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking "Ethiopians have food?!".

Stop...stop...stop...I was going to put a please no "Ethiopian's have food? jokes" comment in my origional post...but I thought it was unnecessary...guess not.

During the colonial period Ethiopia was a major trading post for Europian countries, Saudia Arabia and India...Ethiopian food blends many of these culinary traditions with tradionial African foods.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 5:31 pm

I had the option of having Ethiopian chicken stew when I was at a music festival in my hometown of Seattle, but my aunt had it. I now regret passing it up because I didn't give it a try.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 6:44 pm

Ethiopian food ROCKS! Soooooo flavorful, and lots of non-meat offerings. \m/

~Steve Jobs

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 7:08 pm

stlf wrote:
I went to an Ethiopian resturant for the first time last night...the food was very good and the method of eating intriguing...you use small pieces of spoungy bread to pick up morsels of food...very cool. Has anyone else here had Ethiopian food before...what did you think?

I've never been to an Ethiopian restaurant before, but I used to eat at a Somali Restaurant back in Maine nearly every chance that I could. Even though they provided silverware, you could opt to eat with a chappati (a fried Indian Flat bread) or a Somali flatbread that was steamed. I can't say really compare Somali food to Ethiopian food, but it's probably similar. For those of you who want some guage of comparison, imagine the best Indian food that you've had, and imagine what it would be like if it was better still. --That was my impression of Somali food.

Also, It's not really surprising that it's similar, due to the fact that trade between India and East Africa has been going on for thousands of years. --Hence the reason why Somalis eat chappati bread.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 7:51 pm

Ethiopian food is my favorite kind of food.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 7:57 pm

Fogman wrote:
For those of you who want some guage of comparison, imagine the best Indian food that you've had, and imagine what it would be like if it was better still. --That was my impression of Somali food.

I love Indian food... when I prepare it myself. I leave out the "hot."

Our next door neighbors are Indian and I LOVE to sit on my back porch and smell the fabulous aromas when the mother cooks. However, everything I've tasted from their kitchen as well as from the local Indian restaurant has been totally TASTELESS because it was so freakin' HOT (spicy) there was no possible way for the flavors of those wonderful aromas to get through to my thoroughly pickled tastebuds!! ! 8O

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2005, 8:12 pm

Congratulations for being a culinary adventurer! What a cultural trip! I like a little Moroccan Roll...couscous...tagine, etc. Ethiopian sounds very cool. Way to go!

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 8:22 pm

Cindy wrote:
I love Indian food... when I prepare it myself. I leave out the "hot."

Our next door neighbors are Indian and I LOVE to sit on my back porch and smell the fabulous aromas when the mother cooks. However, everything I've tasted from their kitchen as well as from the local Indian restaurant has been totally TASTELESS because it was so freakin' HOT (spicy) there was no possible way for the flavors of those wonderful aromas to get through to my thoroughly pickled tastebuds!! ! 8O

I think hot food is something you have to get used to as a kid. My stepdad's parents were Missionaries in India, (where he grew up) so I got acclimated to the pepper content when I was a kid. --What part of India are your neighbors from? Southern Indian cooking is usually a bit hotter than Northern Indian food.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 8:25 pm

You'd think that the Ethiopian resturants would be more useful in Ethiopia... :roll:

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 9:14 pm

Fogman wrote:
I think hot food is something you have to get used to as a kid. My stepdad's parents were Missionaries in India, (where he grew up) so I got acclimated to the pepper content when I was a kid. --What part of India are your neighbors from? Southern Indian cooking is usually a bit hotter than Northern Indian food.

Yeah, I guess so! I'm certainly not used to it.
Our neighbors are from eastern India. Very nice people, very friendly neighbors. Very hot food! LOL :lol:

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 12:23 am

That is my favorite kind of food, too! :lol: