Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Zep1
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2007, 9:19 pm

I was just sitting back zoning out and day dreaming the other day. I was thinking what if everyone was like my son Brian? I mean God knows I like him and wouldn’t have him any other way. But he’s never going to be an engineer or a programmer or a scientist or get his MBA. Even in the slower paces classes that he was in he struggled with the concept of intergrating a function from zero to infinity. And in his 8th grade abstract algebra, groups and rings were just over his head. Yes he managed to get a passing grade but I doubt that he will ever be able to use it in real life.

The world needs people like my Brian but what if…….. what if the ratio was reversed and 97% of the world was like Brian. Yes I know it’s a scary thought but, can you imagine what our world would be if people like if people like him were managers, bankers, engineers and scientists?

Computers would constantly lock up and crash on a daily basis.

New operating systems upgrades wouldn’t be backward compatible with existing applications.

TV shows would only run from 30-60 minutes and would have lots of breaks.

Actors and actresses would be selected based upon their looks rather than talent.

Engineers would design planes that would be in danger of crashing if someone turned on a gameboy in flight!

Passengers would have to help the crew in an emergency.

Security checks would be random rather than focusing on people who presented a threat or fit a profile.

People wouldn’t work from home but would gather together in large rooms called offices.

Tens of thousands would die in unsafe cars on unsafe roads every year.

People who are quick and agile would get paid millions to play games with balls.

Almost everyone would be in a committed relationship.

The president would make up stories and lie to get us to go to war and then even after being exposed be re-elected.

Same sex marriges would be illegal.

People would have real life friends rather than cyber friends.

Helmets would not be required to be worn by people on motorcycles.

Anyone would be able to buy a gun!

There would be more lawyers than doctors.

Doctors and lawyers would advertise on TV.

3% of the population would be in jail due to laws that don’t work.

Banks would lend money to people who didn’t have the ability to repay.

Stock pricess would go up and down based upon non-related reports and emotions.

People would inverst in companies that had never shown a profit.

People would be paid to not work.

Dogs wouldn’t be allowed in stores.

Farmers would be paid to not grow.

Priceless die cast gas pumps would sell on eBay for only $5-$10.

People would spend only limited time talking about their interests.

It would take four years to get a BS degree!! !
And another four for a PdD!! !

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2007, 9:28 pm

Considering that civilization was agrarian for thousands of years, I don't think it would be THAT bad. :)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 9:34 pm

Yeah, I'm sure it would be lovely. :roll: Sorry, but read the other post on here that someone made entitled something like "whats with all this aspie/NT stuff?" I think it's ridiculous to make assumptions like that about what the world be like if it were run by Aspies. Who knows what it would be like? And if you are going to make these kind of assumptions, where are the bad things? It's not like Aspies are some perfect, ideal race being subjugated by the brutish, shallow, moronic NTs. Aspies aren't immune to the common human foibles of selfishness, laziness, egotism, etc., and certainly are not above making us vs. them comparisons (as this post proves). There may be differences between NTs and Aspies, but in my opinion, as far as the whole scope of human nature goes, they are relatively superficial differences. Deep down, Aspies and NTs have the same basic human drives (in my opinion, obviously): to be loved, to be safe, to enjoy life, to have the best for themselves and those they love, etc. And these drives are not going to always express themselves in benign ways. Aspies are not some enlightened, evolved species. They're human beings in an Aspie skin rather than an NT skin. They represent the same fundamental principles of human nature, expressed through a different set of filters. Wow, this post went off on a tangent. Apologies- I'm procrastinating.

I guess this isn't necessarily a response to what you've written (so if it seems like I'm overreacting, please ignore it), but rather a response to being fed up with some of the negative things written (especially the generalizations) about NTs on this board.

Last edited by LostInSpace on 15 Oct 2007, 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 9:43 pm

I believe this was a joke, therefore not necessary to have all the qualifications surrounding each statement.

Zep1
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2007, 11:05 pm

lelia wrote:
I believe this was a joke, therefore not necessary to have all the qualifications surrounding each statement.

You think that there is something funny about being coordinated and having an IQ of 110 like my poor Brian does?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 11:23 pm

Zep1 wrote:
lelia wrote:

You think that there is something funny about being coordinated and having an IQ of 110 like my poor Brian does?

That IQ would be high average. I assume that what you are meaning to imply is that Aspies have higher IQs in general than NTs (I would dispute this, but whatever), but even if that were true, in an Aspie world, the standard score of 100 would be based on the average ASPIE level of ability, therefore an IQ would 110 would mean that Brian was in the high average range for an Aspie population. So he'd still be high average. So he's bright intellectually and gifted physically. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2007, 2:44 am

Zep1 post was meant to be a joke... most things cited in his list actually happen everyday, in a world run mostly by NTs :

- Actors and actresses would be selected based upon their looks rather than talent.
- People who are quick and agile would get paid millions to play games with balls.
- Almost everyone would be in a committed relationship.
- Anyone would be able to buy a gun!

It seems like a running gag... I remember reading one of his post that told the story of his son Brian, a NT boy growing in a world full of aspies. That was a funny post too. :)

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt45205.html