Do ALL people with AS have above average intelligence?

Page 1 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

retropolismetropolis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2008, 2:44 am

I read these different articles on the internet about Asperger's Syndrome. They keep saying that poeple with AS have high intelligence.
But do all people with Asperger's Syndrome to have a high IQ?
Well I don't think I do. Because I'm bad at English and Maths.
So does that mean I shouldn't have AS?

And heres another question: Do some people with AS think they aren't good at anything even if they are? Or is that just low self esteem?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 2:51 am

No, people with AS are "normal". That's, above-average, below-average or center.

Mental retardation doesn't preclude AS either.

Self-defeatism is common amongst those on the spectrum.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jan 2008, 2:52 am

Are you bad with math and english because of the rules that don't make sense?

xx Dan Monster

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 2:54 am

Quote:

Being bad at English and Maths does not mean you do not have a high IQ.

Quote:
And heres another question: Do some people with AS think they aren't good at anything even if they are? Or is that just low self esteem?

Seems like low self esteem.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 2:54 am

Even some chavs can have an above avarage intellegence.

retropolismetropolis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2008, 2:55 am

Kitsy wrote:

Maybe.

retropolismetropolis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2008, 2:57 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:

What does "chavs" mean?

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jan 2008, 2:59 am

retropolismetropolis wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

Maybe.

That's what happened to me. When in school, didn't realize it at the time until I got out and looked back.

As a result to those silly catchy songs teachers sung about I before E except after C I now even still find myself looking at a word and thinking....am I spelling it right? Is it weird or wierd?

Is it theif or thief?

Algebra, I don't recall what happened but it finally made sense oneday. It's like a light bulb went off. Delayed reaction. I used to get really upset to the point of pulling my hair. It was all over the rules.

xx Dan Monster

retropolismetropolis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2008, 3:04 am

Kitsy wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

Maybe.

That's what happened to me. When in school, didn't realize it at the time until I got out and looked back.

As a result to those silly catchy songs teachers sung about I before E except after C I now even still find myself looking at a word and thinking....am I spelling it right? Is it weird or wierd?

Is it theif or thief?

Algebra, I don't recall what happened but it finally made sense oneday. It's like a light bulb went off. Delayed reaction. I used to get really upset to the point of pulling my hair. It was all over the rules.

The rules are the way they are just because somebody said they were. :roll:

I guess I do badly because I have bad teachers. Or I'm too anxious of the people around me to listen to the them.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 5:23 am

Above average intelligence is a requirement for an Aspergers diagnosis. If your intelligence level is average, you are PDD-NOS and not Aspergers. You're still on the Spectrum of course.

Remember that "above average" means anything above 100. As I recall, the classification for "genius" is 150.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

04 Jan 2008, 5:48 am

TLPG wrote:
Above average intelligence is a requirement for an Aspergers diagnosis. If your intelligence level is average, you are PDD-NOS and not Aspergers. You're still on the Spectrum of course.

Remember that "above average" means anything above 100. As I recall, the classification for "genius" is 150.

I thought "above average" was anything over 110?

Anyway...I don't think it is necessary to have above average intellegence to be diagnosed with AS.
Apparently you can be diagnosed with AS if you have an IQ over 75.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 6:03 am

TLPG wrote:
Above average intelligence is a requirement for an Aspergers diagnosis.

Which is completely wrong. Taken from the DSM-IV-TR:

Quote:
E.There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development...

Quote:
Mental Retardation is not usually observed in Asperger's Disorder, although occasional cases in which Mild Mental Retardation is present have been noted (e.g.,when the Mental Retardation becomes apparent only in the school years, with no apparent cognitive or language delay in the first years of life).

Gillberg's AS criteria doesn't have an IQ threshold either.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 6:10 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:

What does "chavs" mean?

Council House Adult Vermine

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 6:55 am

Quote:
I read these different articles on the internet about Asperger's Syndrome. They keep saying that poeple with AS have high intelligence.
But do all people with Asperger's Syndrome to have a high IQ?
So does that mean I shouldn't have AS?

This is typical NT crap... they don't understand us at all.

AS have normal IQ's that's one of the main defining characteristics for AS versus HFA (well actually it's specifically language) but you get my drift.

How do you measure intelligence? Put someone in front of something that they've never seen before and see how long it takes them to figure out.. but... you have to have a completely blank slate and there's no such thing. Hence all intelligence tests are skewed.

Aspies have all-consuming special interests and they're often pretty crap at sport. So, the special interest drives perceived intelligence.

Eg: My lifelong main special interest has been Dr Who (computing came later)...
So...

1. I needed to be able to read Dr Who books - English - Those books improved my grammar no end.
2. I liked to sort and catalogue my books, so I learn't those skills.
3. I wanted to draw Dr Who monsters etc... so my drawing improved
4. Dr Who is about Science/Astronomy etc.. (so that improved) and History/Ethics (so they improved).

I remember writing essays in school without ever resorting to any outside material - just my Dr Who memories. This was particularly true of history.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 7:05 am

Danielismyname,

I don't know why you keep refering to Gilberg. He basically doesn't acknowledge AS! SURE, he CLAIMS to, by mentioning the name, but he dumbs it down so the name means NOTHING!

MANY say, and the current DSM basically indicates, that talking at or ahead of the milestone(Granted, the Least capable, but still there), is the ONLY difference between AS and HFA. Gilberg insists that there MUST be a delay in speaking to diagnose AS!

retropolismetropolis,

The old standard said average or above.(Many figure about 100+) The new one only says no clinically significant cognitive problems, which means like 75+. As for english skills? It basically said comprehensible, although the early one said larger vocabulary, and you could conceivably achieve that and FAIL english. That is a stretch, but you could.

The old standard could be passed by a 3yo, yet how many 3yo could pass a strict english class on the grammar they use? I STILL remember when a teacher told my class that "be" was the most used verb. I was AGHAST! I couldn't remember the last time I used it! I didn't realize that (is,are,am,were, etc...) were forms of "to be", even though I had used them correctly for many years. BTW, for the record, I never even got a C in english, and got an A in that class. I don't think anyone ever mentioned math.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 7:41 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Gilberg insists that there MUST be a delay in speaking to diagnose AS!

Which is wrong. It's just acknowledged under his criteria, you don't need it (you need 3 of the 5 listed under "speech and language problems"); his criteria are closer to Asperger's original work than the DSM-IV-TR (many professionals agree with this). I wouldn't say that Gillberg "dumbs" down AS at all. In fact, it's harder to meet the requirements for such than the DSM-IV-TR.

Professor Attwood and his crew use Gillberg's for AS, and they run a clinic that specializes in ASDs.