Page 10 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

09 Oct 2007, 12:34 pm

richardbenson wrote:
you know its funny. im just using the same criteria shes using against me, an observation on a internet message board with alot of assuming involved. i doubt she can post proof of all those conditions though, has she even posted her photograph? i can actually post proof of my disability and have done so here. social security just doesnt go by your word on being disabled, they look you up and down for a real long time to actually make shure if you are or not. so rest assured people i am not ripping you off

You don't need to prove your disability on here. You have to be an ass to not believe it. Not everyone can prove their disabilities because they don't either have their papers or a camera. I don't have my papers so therefore I wouldn't be able to prove mine. My parents have them and I don't have any in my adulthood.

You see now how annoying it is when you get doubt when you are telling the truth?

Yes I know there are people who lie on the inetrnet but there is no proof that they are so I keep it to myself because what if they were telling the truth and I accuse them of lying? Then I'm an as*hole. I have been called a liar myself so I know how it feels to be called a liar when I am actually telling the truth so I make sure I don't do that to others.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Oct 2007, 12:55 pm

thats fair likedcalico. maybe i have alot more to learn, however im not going to sit back and have some armchair nowitall get away with making me feel like crap because her life sucks. go back and read what she wrote, she attacked me for stating how much i think you need to make to live comfortably in this town.. She also assumed i can dig holes for a living and bag grocheries. without even meeting me, or knowing what im capable of workwise. i simply turned her logic of thinking around on her. kindof like holding up a mirror to her face so she can get a good look at herself.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 12:57 pm

Noa wrote:
Upholding Wilhelm Reich as an example of a successful autistic professional whom we should strive to emulate?

Hmm, something isn't quite right with this picture. Smells distinctly trollish. Ticker, I believe you might have spent a tick too much time in your orgone accumulator.

Excuse me, I have to go destroy negative anomalous stars and end the drout in Death Valley.

Yea. What's up with her examples? Reich was a total loon and not even autistic IMO.

Also, I don't think Einstein was ever considered a hard worker by people who knew him well. He dropped out of high school and was considered "lazy" by his teachers. He was largely dependent on his wife for a lot of things throughout his life. He barely knew or cared how to dress himself. He was also very stubborn and disregarded authority constantly. He only became successful because he was recognized and respected for his intellectual ability at a young age by people in academia. If not for that exposure he would have had a very hard life trying to hold down a normal job. Smarts alone doesn’t get you far in normal NT society.

09 Oct 2007, 1:01 pm

richardbenson wrote:
thats fair likedcalico. maybe i have alot more to learn, however im not going to sit back and have some armchair nowitall get away with making me feel like crap because her life sucks. go back and read what she wrote, she attacked me for stating how much i think you need to make to live comfortably in this town.. She also assumed i can dig holes for a living and bag grocheries. without even meeting me, or knowing what im capable of workwise. i simply turned her logic of thinking around on her. kindof like holding up a mirror to her face so she can get a good look at herself.

Yes I saw what she wrote and I thought it was great you were getting a taste of your own medicine. You have pulled that kind of stunt on other people and to me on intensity. The you doubting other people what they say about themselves and then she did the same to you. I thought maybe you would learn from it and maybe change by stop accusing people of lying about themselves because it had finally happened to you and it was very insulting so therefore you don't want to be that way to others so you keep it to yourself.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Oct 2007, 1:06 pm

yes let it bother you that on another board i didnt believe something you said. i guess i just have a hard time believeing people what can i say. either way if you want a long winded apology your still not getting it. :P

ForFlorence
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2007, 1:08 pm

mechanima wrote:
ForFlorence wrote:
There's a taboo topic that a fair percentage of AS children have at least one AS parent. It makes me wonder how much of the co-dependence is reciprocal - ie. the parents relying on the children as much as the children on the adults. This could make it difficult for an AS child to "make the break" sort-to-speak.

Don't restrict that to AS parents. In real terms NT parents are far more likely to be co-dependent than any Aspie, and similar co-dependence manifests in relation to physical disabilities, where all parties are "strictly NT". As a matter of fact that is where I first encountered it, I was quite surprised to see it extend to AS families who should, by rights, be FAR less susceptible.

Patronising social attitudes reinforce that when we should be encouraging parents to raise their children to expand their horizons and be as independent as possible, not conditioning them to become co-dependent extensions of their own sense of self.

I'm definitely not restricting co-dependence to AS parents. Actually, I think the term co-Dependant may differ according to the "designation" of the parent. I think this goes as much for AS parents as NT parents and the "designation" simply being that of an "open" or "closed" mind-set. An NT social attitude may reinforce NTs as being more inclined to this sort of behaviour but from my experience it seems to run the gamut.

If the parent is closed and rooted in the negative social attitudes reinforced by the NT community then co-dependence is most likely a problem rooted in the belief of disability and thus the need for conformity to an NT model. My AS parent falls into this category. He has constructed an NT model in which he believes he must fit and thus I must follow suit as a sub-extension of him. He literally constructs co-dependence as a way to assert his own independence through conformity to an negative NT model. He denies his AS and burdens mine with a belief in disability.

On the other hand my NT parent (who may fall lightly on the AS spectrum) is open to differences. We run on a different part of the co-dependent spectrum. She relies on my abilities that she finds difficult and perhaps is all too eager to step-in in areas that are difficult to an AS, especially regarding social "obligations". Although our co-dependence is rooted in an openness to ability it has more breathing room and I find it much easier to claim moments of independence.

I am curious about other AS experiences with AS parents.

There was a statistic that surfaced a while back regarding AS marriages and supposedly, as long as both partners were open to their AS and not in denial, AS marriages are said to proportionally last longer than NT marriages. :D

09 Oct 2007, 1:08 pm

marshall wrote:
Noa wrote:
Upholding Wilhelm Reich as an example of a successful autistic professional whom we should strive to emulate?

Hmm, something isn't quite right with this picture. Smells distinctly trollish. Ticker, I believe you might have spent a tick too much time in your orgone accumulator.

Excuse me, I have to go destroy negative anomalous stars and end the drout in Death Valley.

Yea. What's up with her examples? Reich was a total loon and not even autistic IMO.

Also, I don't think Einstein was ever considered a hard worker by people who knew him well. He dropped out of high school and was considered "lazy" by his teachers. He was largely dependent on his wife for a lot of things throughout his life. He barely knew or cared how to dress himself. He was also very stubborn and disregarded authority constantly. He only became successful because he was recognized and respected for his intellectual ability at a young age by people in academia. If not for that exposure he would have had a very hard life trying to hold down a normal job. Smarts alone doesn’t get you far in normal NT society.

Einstein was just lucky. It's all about luck for us.

If it weren't for my parents, I would have still been stuck in Montana suffering with my crappy life or maybe not be where I am now. I was lucky I had parents who cared about me and wanted me to live a normal life as possible and have me be successful in my adulthood when I reach it so they used their money to work with me and giveme the therapy I needed and help, my mother even used her time to work with me, she even quit her job just to be home to teach me to talk and work with my sensory issues. I would have probably been a Nell if they didn't work with me my mother says and I probably would have been violent too because I didn't know how to express myself properly. I was even lucky they didn't listen to the doctors because they were told I would never be able to talk, I would never be able to learn to take care of myself, be successful and I be in an institution.

09 Oct 2007, 1:12 pm

richardbenson wrote:
yes let it bother you that on another board i didnt believe something you said. i guess i just have a hard time believeing people what can i say. either way if you want a long winded apology your still not getting it. :P

No I just believe you're an ass. You were the only one who doubted it BTW, no one else. I don't care if other people like you on here, if they saw the s**t you did to me on intensity, then they would know.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Oct 2007, 1:14 pm

everyone likedcalico posted a picture of her p**** over at intensity and i said it wasnt hers and she was faking, but it really did turn out to belong to her. hows that for being an ass? and btw i still think rakitty_tam was fibbing when he said his uncle was on one of those planes that went down on septemeber 11th.

Last edited by richardbenson on 09 Oct 2007, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForFlorence
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2007, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Einstein was just lucky. It's all about luck for us.

I wonder how true this is? Does anyone else have an overwhelming sense of luck?

Friends and Family are continually commenting on how lucky I seem to be in all aspects of my life. All sorts of luck too, "Your really lucky you didn't hurt yourself walking into that wall." :P to "You always seem to be lucky when it comes to life opportunities and finding good friends." :)

And does anyone tend to notice an overwhelming sense of synchronicity?

It is continuous. ie. I will read about a new type of rare object and the next day I will find it. Then I will learn about that object only to find that it has to do with another new object. Then, the next day I will find that rare object. It is helpful in my work but it tends to concern work partners as suspiciously lucky :lol:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 1:38 pm

I definitely think you are right that Einstein was lucky. He managed to get a job at a patent office that he enjoyed, but I believe his mentors in academia set him up with it or at least put in a good word. I don’t think he had much time for filling out job applications when he spent all his time thinking about theoretical physics. He also had other people take care of a lot of the mundane life stuff for him because his mind was always elsewhere. I think people tend to whitewash the difficulties he had because they idolize him.

I’m sure there have been many people as bright as Einstein who just weren’t born in the right place or right time to realize their potential. There are billions of people who are born into poverty and probably some of them are potential geniuses, but instead they drew the short straw in life. Of course there are some people who are able to overcome through sheer will power, but I would say luck is an important factor.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 1:47 pm

likedcalico wrote:
unnamed wrote:
I just read this whole thread. I'm glad that some other folks finally see what I see in Ticker - a troll in denial.

richardbenson, you are the most supportive and inspiring person on WP. Your posts always make me smile. You are honest about how hard you work on your own attitude, and you go out of your way to give people the benefit of the doubt and make them feel welcome here. As far as I'm concerned, you are what WP should be about.

WP is suffering because of people like Ticker. I saw how she attacked the Ritvos when she got turned down for their research project on AS. She was all keen to volunteer, and then when she got rejected she turned around and started trashing them like she got dumped romantically or something. I never used to question anyone's AS diagnosis here, but she's one of a few whom I seriously doubt. There are several people on here now who claim to have AS but who actually behave like they have anything and everything but. They ruin the vibe and bring people down. It sucks.

I sure miss Kosmo. There was no one better than him for filtering out the BS.

Since you do now, what do you think of mine? Do you think I'm misdiagnosed? If so, what do you think I have instead? Am I maybe an NT who acts like an aspie because of my hearing loss?

I never thought anything about you either way, Calico. Why do you care what other people think anyway?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Oct 2007, 1:55 pm

apparently her life isnt facinating enough for her to mind her own business. but anyways she does have a good point, i just dont like apologising on cue. especially when someone expects it, i like to suprise people

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 2:03 pm

I see likedcalico's point. It is kind of annoying when people don't believe you when you are in fact telling the truth.

However it's also annoying when people say stuff that's obviously BS (as in I can prove they're making sh*t up) and yet I can't call them on it because it would be considered impolite or inappropriate in the setting.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Oct 2007, 2:12 pm

marshall wrote:
However it's also annoying when people say stuff that's obviously BS
exactly. i mean im nieve but not gullible. also i dont see the big deal about asking someone to prove anything they say, listen if you get on the internet and say that youve been struck by lighting twice or one of your uncles was on one of the planes that went down on 9/11 you better show some kind of proof. i can get online and say all kinds of lies, i usually try to provide proof with almost anything i say as i look at it as a courtasy. i had $10,000 and i posted a picture of a bank slip saying so, i just didn get online saying guess what guys, i have $10,000.

Last edited by richardbenson on 09 Oct 2007, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 2:39 pm

richardbenson wrote:
marshall wrote:
However it's also annoying when people say stuff that's obviously BS
exactly. i mean im nieve but not gullible. also i dont see the big deal about asking someone to prove anything they say, listen if you get on the internet and say that youve been struck by lighting twice or one of your uncles was on one of the planes that went down on 9/11 you better show some kind of proof. i can get online and say all kinds of lies, i usually try to provide proof with almost anything i say as i look at it as a courtasy. i had $10,000 and i posted a picture of a bank slip saying so, i just didn get online saying guess what guys, i have $10,000.

Yea. Being struck by lightning twice in one life seems very unlikely unless one regularly hangs out on top of a mountain or tower during thunderstorms. There are documented cases though.

What I don't get is why Ticker tells us all these things when she would probably deny that she wants us to feel sorry for her. I can't stand people who wear their ailments as a badge of honor and simultaneously use them to put other people down. Seems like manipulative behavior to me.