Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 10:50 pm

It is almost axiomatic that Aspergians do not have "common sense."

What is common sense? How is it different from other forms of intelligence?

What makes people who are duds academically vastly more capable than we are at following directions and keeping track of their responsibilities at work and at home?

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 10:51 pm

"common sense" can be defined as stuff you are expected to know without being taught it.

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 10:54 pm

That's innate knowledge.

Can we get some ideas about how pragmatic tasks differ from academic tasks?

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 11:15 pm

Well, one might argue that there is no such thing as 'common sense' as in, common to the people... something all people should agree to.

Name some things you think are 'common' sense....

:?:

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 11:49 pm

Here are some examples of common sense/pragmatic tasks and academic/non-pragmatic tasks. What do the tasks in each category have in common? How do they differ?

Pragmatic tasks:

Learning to use a cash register.
Remembering coworkers' names.
Changing lanes on the Interstate.
Counting and stacking boxes in a warehouse.
Figuring out where the line starts in a cafeteria.
Managing not to "lose ones place" while counting money.
Running a successful business.

Academic tasks:

Finding the correct answer on an SAT test.
Finding the flaw in a philosophical argument.
Reading Milton with easy comprehension.
Writing an insightful essay on a minor poet.
Learning a second language quickly.
Passing a statistics test.
Running wind tunnel experiments to design better wings for airplanes.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 11:50 pm

I think 'common sense' is being practical. It is common sense to take a raincoat when rain is threatening.

To those who are born with common sense it is simple logic and obvious. It is cause and effect. It is finding a place for everything and keeping everything in its place. It is looking before you cross the street.

It is simple rules that make things run smoothly.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 11:51 pm

I am hoping that we can progress beyond tautologies here...

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 11:56 pm

Beautifulspam, are you and I in agreement? Do you see commonsense as simple logic and academic tasks as higher order thinking?

I don't think we should denegrate common sense. I have just returned from a holiday from Vietnam, and the trip went smoothly thanks to the common sense of my companion.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 12:16 am

To me, common sense is stuff that you should be able to work out for yourself.

Things like, don't put your hand in fire. Seek shelter if there's a storm. Don't poke the bear...

Its upper limit is a somewhat hazy line. It goes up to and might include things like, save money for when times are tough. Don't have sex with people at your work. Eat healthy food more often that junk food.

Stuff that would make sense if you just stopped and thought about it for a while.

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 12:18 am

I think it applies more to problem solving skills.

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2007, 12:19 am

Hi, nan.

I am not disparaging common sense, quite the opposite. I am trying to get at what is required to succeed at practical, everyday tasks, so that I can try to cultivate the necessary faculties to be more effective at work and in my personal life.

However, I do disagree with your assertion that common sense is "logic," at least in the strict technical sense of the word. If I had to venture a guess I would say that common sense is more an amalgamation of intuition, experience and habit than solid, well organized chains of "if...then..." statements.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2007, 12:50 am

beautifulspam wrote:
If I had to venture a guess I would say that common sense is more an amalgamation of intuition, experience and habit...

Well said. I think that's a good definition of common sense.

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2007, 12:59 am

I can see I'm not going to get anywhere here.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 1:12 am

beautifulspam wrote:
I can see I'm not going to get anywhere here.

I don't think common sense is your problem, I think you need to look elsewhere. Try identifying your weaknesses then look for somebody who can help you with them. Maybe you could look at sites with information on AS if that's what you have and talk with somebody who knows about it like a doctor.

I can't say what you'll need because you seem to be talking about an incredibly wide area.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 1:31 am

beautifulspam wrote:
Hi, nan.

I am not disparaging common sense, quite the opposite. I am trying to get at what is required to succeed at practical, everyday tasks, so that I can try to cultivate the necessary faculties to be more effective at work and in my personal life.

However, I do disagree with your assertion that common sense is "logic," at least in the strict technical sense of the word. If I had to venture a guess I would say that common sense is more an amalgamation of intuition, experience and habit than solid, well organized chains of "if...then..." statements.

I think that at least one element needed for common sense is the ability to look ahead and predict a variety of potential outcomes and consequenses.

i.e. 'if I do this, then this might happen which might cause me to need my coat'

people with AS are often said to have impairment in this area.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2007, 2:22 am

beautifulspam wrote:
What is common sense? How is it different from other forms of intelligence?

What makes people who are duds academically vastly more capable than we are at following directions and keeping track of their responsibilities at work and at home?

1. if you have to ask what it is, you probably lack it

2. i have been told that i lack it, and choose to take the observation as a compliment, because

3. based on what i have observed, when people say i have no "common sense," they seem to mean that i fail to grasp the most OBVIOUS meaning in things/conversations.

and instead, they think i am "stupid" because i "overthink" things. when actually i do not, it is just that if someone says "Hi." i will be just as likely to look upwards or look around for the druggie, because even though "common sense" dictates that i should see that "Hi" is always going to just be a greeting i should return, my brain still insists that the NEXT "Hi" might mean something different.

so this tendency is regarded as intelligence if i am problem solving or working on a creative project, but it limits my ability to follow directions and do "simple" tasks, because i am usually unsure what people WANT and/or MEAN, because my priorities are so naturally different.