Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 4:09 am

When I was fourteen, I had a barber who was good at talking but bad at listening. When I told him about my grandmother and also told him about a language course in England that I'd taken part in, he got the two confused and believed I had a grandmother who lived in England. Somehow I found myself unable to correct the wrong impression and henceforth, had to make up stories about my English grandmother to satisfy his curiosity.

Anyone experienced a similar difficulty in correcting a simple misunderstanding?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 7:02 am

Icheb wrote:
When I was fourteen, I had a barber who was good at talking but bad at listening. When I told him about my grandmother and also told him about a language course in England that I'd taken part in, he got the two confused and believed I had a grandmother who lived in England. Somehow I found myself unable to correct the wrong impression and henceforth, had to make up stories about my English grandmother to satisfy his curiosity.

Anyone experienced a similar difficulty in correcting a simple misunderstanding?

Yeah. Sometimes I try to explain and they SEEM to understand, and then make it clear they don't. I just eventually give up. Sometimes I work around their stupid belief because, to do otherwise, wastes time. It is almost like yesterday when someone mispronounced my name several times. Should I REALLY waste time discussing such trivial matters?

ALSO, yesterday, I tried to explain how a company that sold me a computer LIED and the computer was not compatible with the card I had, which they could CLEARLY see on their display and I explained was purchased over a year ago. THEY kept SEEMING to understand and then morphed it into the idea that I recently bought a new card that didn't fit my computer. They kept telling me I could simply return the card!

Why do you ask?

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 8:57 am

I ask because "problems with clearing up misunderstandings" is one of the Asperger Syndrome characteristics listed at http://www.hugbox.org/writings/asperger ... eristiken/.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 6:24 pm

Well, I DO match that list of characteristics pretty well.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2007, 6:38 pm

Yeah, I definitely have this problem. It probably has something to do with the inability to "get into someone else's head," follow their reasoning, etc. Usually I can only solve it when I figure out exactly which word of mine they misheard by replaying what I said in my head. I've found myself resigning and letting them believe whatever they want to if the matter was unimportant or irrelevant, especially with those I'm less comfortable with.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 7:31 pm

ev8 wrote:
Yeah, I definitely have this problem. It probably has something to do with the inability to "get into someone else's head," follow their reasoning, etc. Usually I can only solve it when I figure out exactly which word of mine they misheard by replaying what I said in my head. I've found myself resigning and letting them believe whatever they want to if the matter was unimportant or irrelevant, especially with those I'm less comfortable with.

Well, I tried to explain to four people that a card that I had used with my computers for about a year worked fine. I was LIED to about a new computer, and the new computer was NOT compatible with the card. I wanted to get a new card that was compatible. SIMPLE, RIGHT?

WRONG! Only 2 people understood. The other two took FOREVER and NEVER understood. THEY thought I just got the card, for an old computer, and wanted to return it.

That normally wouldn't be a problem, but I was asking for a novel solution, that I could use, and they offered me a common one I COULDN'T!