Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2007, 6:02 pm

Me, I didn't get attached to dolls or stuffed animals. I liked pen and paper. Barbies weren't welcome in my house but I was interested in the different outfits and always wanted a doll house and a toy kitchen. I did have a Barbie brand fashion plate toy where there were plates for the head with different hair, different tops, different bottoms and you could mix and match and the back side of the plates were patterns so you could rub the pattern onto the rubbed outfit and make a plaid skirt or a dress with leaves. I would have been good at paper dolls if I could design the clothes myself. I was never interested in boy toys like trucks but I always wanted a microscope. I don't remember ever saying out loud to my parents that I wanted a doll house or a microscope. Maybe I did but I wouldn't be surprised if I was dismissed because my mother thought doll houses took up unnecessary room. I had free reign when it came to books so I had more books than toys.

ASPERGERSJOHN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2007, 6:22 pm

As a child i was attached to Postman Pat.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 6:24 pm

i liked those fashion plates..I am big into patterns.

I did like paper dolls....ESP. reproductions of vintage ones...Dolly Dingle was one of my all-time favorte paper doll collections...I remember cutting all the paper dolls out and having seperate envelopes for each doll....

I also had this HUGE Victorian family paper doll set that took forever to cut out.

um...my earliest toys..I liked a combination of boy and girl toys...my bike was a boys bike with training wheels on it and an alligator theme.....I loved the bouncy catipillar thing...the mickey mouse talking phone....the battery-powered Ballerina doll....

I loved costumes I had a dinosaur costume that said FIRE SALE on it that I loved I musta outgrown it at an early age..likesay 3 or 4...i did know it said FIRE SALE on it...also a regular little girls red and white polka dot party dress...to me it was a costume because it was not like my normal clothes (i was dressed like a boy then)...but it had a circle skirt that i Loved to spin in

I loved puppets and more than anything i wanted this mechanical puppet theatre that i saw in the window of a toy store...never got it though....later on I was obsessed with old fashioned wooden toys..I guess that was at the beginning of my obsession with antiquities...and I took an interest in very old vintage toys at an early age too...

When I was really little I had this bean bag doll that I loved...but I kept hitting it over and over and over with the powder container for some reason.
That's how I played with her.
Alas, she dissapeared.

GypsysOdyssey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2007, 7:31 pm

When I was a little girl, my favorite toys were my stuffed animals and My Little Ponies. It's not surprising that as an adult I still have at least a 1/4 of my massive stuffie collection. There's at least one animal, a chimp named Monka, that would be on one of those lists where your house is burning down and you can only rescue three things. I still cuddle Monka sometimes when I'm feeling really low. Though now my big Eeyore gets alot of the hugs when I'm crying. The odd thing is that I had no interest in dolls as a child, save for my American Girl Doll Molly, and then suddenly at age 22 I started collecting them!

And as for ponies...I think one of the biggest regrets I have, as far as material possesion go, was selling them when I was 17. Though I did need the money to pay off a real live horse. But now I am horseless and without my childhood ponies! Thankfully eBay can fix that. :)

Am I the only one who had such a strong memory of a certain toy that you bought a duplicate as an adult? I have a bunch of ponies that were copies of the ones I had as a kid, and some Breyer model horses as well. But I have no shame over buying toys.....I just call them "collector items". ;)

Benji
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2007, 7:41 pm

I liked toy cars. I'd line up books to make roads and 'drive' the cars down them and park them up and stuff. I especially liked the cars that had interiors and doors that would open and close.

I also liked boys toys - tmnt, ghostbusters, biker mice from mars, power rangers, that kind of thing. I liked toys with moveable joints more than any others. I also liked toy swords and bows and arrows so I could be like the characters in Disney films (I really liked bow and arrow sets because I really liked Disney's Robin Hood and always wanted a hat like his).

I preferred teddies to dolls and thought my teddies came alive at night.

I also liked dolls houses, but moreso because I was intrigued with the tiny accessories. I never really liked dolls, although I did have one Barbie because it came with a dolphin toy and I liked toy animals and dinosaurs. I remember my first day at school when I was three - my mother, aunt and cousin dropped me off and walked away and left me there. I remember not really understanding and just standing there for a little while, then I saw some toy animals and dinosaurs and headed over there and played with them and forgot about my mum. I never actually played with the Barbie I had, though. If ever I went to my neighbours house I'd instigate Barbie torture whenever she wanted to play with her dolls. She wasn't very girly either, so she used to join in.

I used to play with animal toys with that neighbour (she was a couple of years younger than me) and we'd play in the garden and dig up stones and stuff and collect worms.

I also used to make 'potions' out of water, dirt, and stones or acorns and leaves and stuff. Or, in the bath, shampoo and soap and that kind of thing.

I liked lego and things like that, but never really had enough to build anything at home. I also found it quite annoying if someone else joined in and put the wrong colour bricks in the wrong places.

And batting a ball back and forth across the living room (keeping it on the floor and batting with your hand) or playing with my cousins with a balloon to keep the balloon off the floor.

I miss being little, that was brilliant.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 8:34 pm

I didn't really care for dolls. I liked cars, instead.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 9:07 pm

Books were my main toys, but I also remember playing with toy cars and forming an attachment to a stuffed toy Siamese cat. I have had a fascination with cats, especially Siamese, from a very early age.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 9:25 pm

You know.... It is funny that I don't have ANY of them now. Part of that might be that I believe I had all of them at a friends cabin. When he died, his kids came and basically claimed everything. 8-(

I had a number of toys, but the erector set and fischer technik were probably the ones I liked the most and longest. Please realize that that WAS the 60s. I DID have a number of books, and I even had a microscope! I always wanted a better one though. 8-(

And, if you consider a book a toy, I guess I had a pencil and paper also.

Stockton
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2007, 9:27 pm

I liked toy cars (especially car washes) and Berenstein Bears books. I ignored my stuffed animals.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 9:30 pm

I loved lego and Scalectrix.
Also had a load of my little ponies tho and sindy dolls.
I had loads of soft toys I would line up in a specific order and hold conversations with. I even smacked them.

Also loved my scooter and my space hopper...hooh boy, did I love that space hopper and I am so tempted to get the adult one they have now bought out.

I was also into rollerskating in a major way so my skates were much loved. I was on a rollerhockey team for a time.

Oh and I had a radio shaped like a dog I adored.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2007, 9:50 pm

I didn't play with toys save for a bean bag baby. I had tons but I played outside with sticks, twigs, grass, sand, mud, dirt, and especially toads. I loved building things with my hands and had my own tools at 5 years old. My mom would get me leftover lumber from construction sites and I'd hammer all day long. The only other thing I would do regularly was get a great book and climb up a tree to read. This was daily late spring through late fall. In the winter, I did the same, only I climbed up to my windowsill to read. My mom even built me a little set of stairs so I could get up easier.
I know it sounds weird I didn't really play with toys, but the dolls scared me and I was a tom boy.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 11:20 pm

I loved playing with stuffed animals. Their lives played out like a TV show... Every animal had a name, personality and role to play.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 11:29 pm

I loved lining toys up in a row haha, I also loved legos and constructs, can build for hours literally haha...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 11:32 pm

Lego constructs all the way... instead of lining stuff up I could stack it up (literally... I once had a 7-foot tall tower of 2*4 lego blocks... until it finally tipped over...)

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 2:44 pm

Well for an Aspie I rather enjoyed make believe and dressing up. But to contradict that I also loved objects, not toys hated dolls. My love was for shop paraphenalia, tills, cash machines, paper bags, till rolls. I always wanted Downfall, yes I liked board games. My favourite "toy" was a cash box!