Did anyone ever have an aversion to certain words?

Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PawsAlmighty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2007, 9:40 am

there is one certain word that bothers me, but I don't contribute it to AS but rather a childhood experience. short cut words really set me off however. I only chat via Instant Messenger with a few people because when someone starts using certain shortcuts I get pissed off and block them. I don't mind the normal chat acronyms but I hate (y? instead of why?) (vacay instead of vacation) those two make me instantly angry. I also dislike words when they are misused or misprounounced to my specifications like either (ee-ther) or (i-ther) I use the (i-ther) pronounciation and loathe hearing the other.

Mother to 5

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2007, 9:45 am

I'm not talking about things that annoy you- people who say 'supposibly' and many other things like that drive me crazy too - I'm really into grammar. I'm talking about a word that serious disturbs you. I feel like for me fear of that word was more of a sensory issue than your typical being annoyed by people who use grammar incorrectly (which really does drive me crazy.)

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 11:12 am

*like* as in *I was like going to call you, but like my brother asked me to like help him with his homework*

and *you know* as in *There's this great painting hanging in the Louvre, you know and it's got all this red and blue all over it, you know, and whenever you look at it you get sun spots in your eyes, like you're being flashed by some kind of supersonic strobe light, you know? You know what I'm saying?*

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 11:59 am

I can't think of any specific words that I hate altogether, it's usually just words being misused.

But my husband despises the words "dander" and "moisture". We both hate how people often misuse the word "literally".

I hate it when people type "would of" instead of "would've" or "would have".

I also hate it when people say things like "I'm going to try and do something" instead of "I'm going to try to do something".

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2007, 1:04 pm

A local word for twilight round here is dimpsy. I hate the word, and tell people its either getting dark, or its twilight. Dimpsy is a stupid word. Rah! :evil:

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2007, 2:07 pm

Theres no words that annoy me as of late, though when I was little I had a problem with the word "Mayonnaise".

elvenmage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2007, 2:19 pm

I HATE the word "smirk", nobody dare say it to me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2007, 2:32 pm

I hate it when people spell because as cuz. I actually feel ill, as if I'd stepped into something icky! :x

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 2:49 pm

Awkward wrote:
I don't think it's really that I hate the word, but it's the feeling that I get when I hear or see the word. I don't like seeing the word written down, hearing people say it, and I definitely can't say it.

That's how I feel about a variety of words-has nothing to do with proper grammar, it's the visceral reactions I have to certain words (sounds in combination). Was going to put link to another thread in which I think I posted some examples, but technical glitch prevented my doing so...
Edited to remove repetition.

Last edited by Belfast on 15 Oct 2007, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:17 pm

My daughter HATES certain words. When we were seeing someone for her anxiety, this was one of the factors that led them to believe she had ocd, rather than AS. She hated the word celcius and cute.

I doubt it was an ocd "ritual", as it honestly had nothing at all to do with compulsive thoughts etc, she just cringed with the sound of the word being spoken...

MarchViolets
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2007, 10:37 pm

I'm so glad to read that someone else experiences this! There is one word that I dislike so much I cannot type it, but it begins with the letter "r" (think Frankie Goes to Hollywood). Hearing someone say that word is like torture for me (and has been since I was very little) and my family knows not to say it.

I find it very difficult to say words that relate to either food, or the body, and/or contains oil. For example, the words "nose" and "cheese" both make me feel quite violently sick, and even typing them makes me cringe. I usually have to avoid conversations to do with these sorts of words. It actually feels humiliating to say certain words, simply because they seem so unclean to me that saying them is the equivalent to being caught doing something disgusting.

All this sounds quite nuts reading it back, but I find it incredible that other people don't feel this way. I like to eat cheese as much as the next person, but how a person can actually go around saying "cheese" without feeling embarrassed/ashamed is beyond me. Haha 8O

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:52 pm

Quote:
I hate (y? instead of why?) (vacay instead of vacation)

*twitches*

Me too.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2007, 10:53 pm

MarchViolets wrote:

All this sounds quite nuts reading it back, but I find it incredible that other people don't feel this way. I like to eat cheese as much as the next person, but how a person can actually go around saying "cheese" without feeling embarrassed/ashamed is beyond me. Haha 8O

Yes, exactly! I feel weird saying the word....even though I shouldn't. It's bizarre. I've never told my family - they'd think I was insane. I wish I and they had realized that I had a problem - if I come out with my quirks now, it's just going to be odd.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Oct 2007, 10:57 pm

im getting hung up on when bill oriely sais this: and how about the website? name and town name and town, name and state name and state :star:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 11:00 pm

No aversions here.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!