Page 4 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 6:25 am

MasonJar wrote:
From Tony Attwood's book The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome:
Quote:
Using the metaphor of a volume control for the emotional intensity of expression, with a gradation from one to ten, a typical child will gradually increase his or her expression of anger through all volume levels. The child or adult with Asperger's syndrome may only have two settings, between one and two, and nine and ten. Events that may precipitate a three to eight reaction in a typical child can precipitate a nine or ten level of expression in someone with Asperger's syndrome. Thus, for some people with Asperger's syndrome, there appears to be a faulty emotion regulation or control mechanism for expressing anger.
When feeling angry, the person with Asperger's syndrome does not appear to be able to pause and think of alternative strategies to resolve the situation, considering his or her intellectual capacity and age. There is often an instantaneous physical response without careful thought. When the anger is intense, the person with Asperger's syndrome may be in a 'blind rage' and unable to see the signals indicating that it would be appropriate to stop.

Yes, that sums it up pretty well.

And I probably didn't say this, but in my case I am not talking about something that happens on a frequent & regular basis.

A full-blown rage attack would probably happen to me only a few times in a year.

And I haven't killed anyone yet :) So I do not think of myself as a danger to others. The worst consequence is having to live down the embarassment of having made a complete idiot of myself.

At the time, that doesn't matter - my irrational thought process "in the moment" is to try and FORCE others to see how unreasonable they are being through the sheer strength of my anger.

It is trying to impose my will on the world by blasting it into the state I want it to be. And there is no reasoning with me when I am being like that.

Sapphix
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2007, 8:02 am

Okay, let me try to describe it in detail. Whether it is my own work or someone elses, I just *know* when it is right and when it isn't. And please don't ask me to define quality, I don't have the capacity to do so verbally. It is something I *sense* and when I see it, I have absolutely no doubt, and when it isn't *right* it just isn't. But as soon as I say something, colleagues either assume that it is an ego-issue (how far from the truth) or that I have a personal agenda, because I seem so intensely *sure*. They think it is just my personal opinion. I wish it were. It has nothing to do with my opinion. It is a complete and utter, full-sensory reaction to whether a piece of work is *right* in and of itself. Am I making any sense at all? Probably not. I've never tried to articulate this before.

When it isn't *right* I have a bad reaction to it, and when it is, I know it within a second - I don't need to evaluate it or explain. I am often attacked for this, and people assume the reasons I mentioned above. When I try to explain, and I am rebuked with an attack (the non-emotional verbal attacks given in a calm tone are the worst), my insides turn to jelly. My pet hate is when people try to "reason" with me without using reason! I shake from head to toe and start crying. Then, if I'm not able to get away, and the verbal grilling continues, chances are I will feel so frustrated at being so misunderstood, that I literally implode from the inside and release it by banging my head on the wall or tearing my hair. No - I don't get aggressive towards others - can't imagine doing that!

If I could ensure that I'm never in a situation where the inside shakes start, I need never have a meltdown. But once my body has started to do that, I can no more "control" it than someone can control taking their need for the next breathe when held underwater. I have learnt, with age, that I have another indication that a meltdown is starting...my head literally starts to prickle. Its a feeling of pins and needles on the back of my head. I guess, thinking about it now, the way an animal would raise its hackles. If I feel that starting, I know I need to get away. If I'm sitting in a business meeting, I can't get up and walk out. So I go quiet and try to release by tapping my foot or sometimes even rocking in my chair. That usually is enough of a signal for the meeting to end and I can get away.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2007, 8:03 am

geek wrote:
beautifulspam wrote:
Ok folks. Let's assume for the sake of argument that some of you really do have rage attacks during which you literally lose self control and become a danger to yourself and othres. What are the implications of this condition?

Anyone who has that going on should probably be checked for other causes than autism per se. ADD/ADHD is one of the more common diagnoses in such cases, but there are a number of possibilities. But anyone who is a danger to themselves and others needs some help with that.

Not long ago I found an interesting study. It examined people with OCD, and tested them for autistic traits. About half of people with OCD turned out to be kind of autistic. One of the telltale signs was that those who were a bit autistic were less prone to rage or violent moods than those who simply had OCD.

A typical autie meltdown involves severe emotional distress, frequently an inability to think logically or communicate, and feelings of fear that border on terror. If you are speaking of rage attacks, that is entirely different from an autie/aspie meltdown. That sounds, perhaps, like a symptom of bipolar or another psychological disorder. Rage is not typically an autie/aspie trait per se...but how many have bipolar or other disorders that would indeed show itself in rage. Either that, or it is the issue many have of showing to proper emotion with the proper situation.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 8:38 am

AnnabelLee wrote:
geek wrote:
beautifulspam wrote:
Ok folks. Let's assume for the sake of argument that some of you really do have rage attacks during which you literally lose self control and become a danger to yourself and othres. What are the implications of this condition?

Anyone who has that going on should probably be checked for other causes than autism per se. ADD/ADHD is one of the more common diagnoses in such cases, but there are a number of possibilities. But anyone who is a danger to themselves and others needs some help with that.

Not long ago I found an interesting study. It examined people with OCD, and tested them for autistic traits. About half of people with OCD turned out to be kind of autistic. One of the telltale signs was that those who were a bit autistic were less prone to rage or violent moods than those who simply had OCD.

A typical autie meltdown involves severe emotional distress, frequently an inability to think logically or communicate, and feelings of fear that border on terror. If you are speaking of rage attacks, that is entirely different from an autie/aspie meltdown. That sounds, perhaps, like a symptom of bipolar or another psychological disorder. Rage is not typically an autie/aspie trait per se...but how many have bipolar or other disorders that would indeed show itself in rage. Either that, or it is the issue many have of showing to proper emotion with the proper situation.

the rage type of meltdown [if that means the physical type-attacking self,anything etc] is quite common for kanner/classic auties in am experience,am have them and every other autie have lived with had them-there can be less understanding about the situation,less understanding about what are feeling, and have a very high pain threshhold,all of which can add to it,and because of the bigger lack of communication with kanners/classic,things can get out of control easier.
it is mostly situation based [like any meltdown],in that there was a cause,and the body could not cope with it.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 9:06 am

Wolfpup wrote:
Worst case recently was a few months back when the office desks were moved around, and I would have been stuck right near other people, with no "walls" around me.

That sounds horrific to me. I would have passed out.

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2007, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Who said anything about rage attacks? Mine come crashing down with lots of tears when I have them, and they are usually triggered by not understanding what somebody is saying due to the wording

If you would read to the original post, you will see that i refer to WP posters using the term "meltdown" to justify a tantrum. If you have another definition of the term "meltdown" that does not include tantrum-like behavior, that is fine by me, but it is not what i was talking about in the OP.

Quote:
It depends on the severity obviously; the danger you pose to yourself and others, people who have frequent "meltdowns" that are violent and due to "benign" events are institutionalized, that is locked up and drugged.

Those that aren't as severe, it's best to leave them alone till it's over, trying to stop/control it will make it worst and it may just turn severe.

Once again, what are the implications of such a condition as regards employment, love, friendship? If I were an employer I would not feel obligated to continue employing someone who may as well be a ticking bomb, may or may not be able to complete the day's work if I reorganize the office floor, etc. Similarly, I would not want to date or even befriend such a person, or trust him around children, or allow him to serve in the military, or possibly even walk free. Isn't it true that to admit to having no control over this "meltdown" behavior is to admit that you are not fit for for society?

Quote:
At the time, that doesn't matter - my irrational thought process "in the moment" is to try and FORCE others to see how unreasonable they are being through the sheer strength of my anger.

These are very familliar feelings. And yet i think that we are both ultimately in control in these situations. Let me propose a thought experiment.

You are in prison. Your cellmate is a seven foot tall, 400 pound mound of muscle and stupidity. As you feel a "meltdown" coming on, he informs you that if you don't keep quiet he will kill you without a second thought.

Are you now able to control your tantrums?

Quote:
In other words you melt down in private. Very good.

Don't know if it's a meltdown for sure, but I do release my anger in private. ie, I am in control of my anger.

Quote:
If you could be here to experience my son's meltdowns you wouldn't make such a naive statement.

I experience my own "meltdowns," thanks. Perhaps your son has simply found a way to manipulate you by pitching fits.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2007, 6:22 pm

C'mon peeps, take a hint, he has 'I am mad of poison' in his avatar. He'll 'prove' his POV any way, this guy is only here to feed.

becca423b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2007, 6:47 pm

I'm pretty sure I have aspergers, but I've never experienced anything as bad as the meltdowns you guys are describing. Sometimes I get really nervous/flustered/embarassed/upset, but it's never been that bad and I can always deal with it. I can't imagine having to deal with the stuff you guys are saying, and I don't know how I would be able to handle it. So I just wanted to say, I give everyone big props for living with something that sounds very difficult!

MasonJar
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2007, 10:44 pm

beautifulspam wrote:
masonjar wrote:
If you could be here to experience my son's meltdowns you wouldn't make such a naive statement.

I experience my own "meltdowns," thanks. Perhaps your son has simply found a way to manipulate you by pitching fits.

Yeah, that's probably what it is. He's found that he can get his way by losing all reason, becoming completely inconsolable, biting his arms (which leave bruises) and occasionally his legs, scratching his face, hitting his head, screaming at the top of his lungs until his voice is straining, all the while looking around with eyes that are at once filled with rage and horror behind all the tears.
Thanks, beautifulspam, for your brilliant insight into my son's (and, apparently, every AS child's) fictional meltdowns.
Zwerfbeertje wrote:
C'mon peeps, take a hint, he has 'I am made of poison' in his avatar. He'll 'prove' his POV any way, this guy is only here to feed.

Ain't dat da truth.

Last edited by MasonJar on 20 Oct 2007, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 10:52 pm

beautifulspam wrote:
Isn't it true that to admit to having no control over this "meltdown" behavior is to admit that you are not fit for for society?

Well, yeah, that's what autism is [to state the obvious].

Quote:
In about one-third of cases, some degree of partial independence is possible.

Taken from the DSM-IV-TR on autistic disorder; Asperger's can be just as severe concerning violent meltdowns. 2-14% of the whole spectrum goes on to function “normally” in society (that's not a lot).

If you can function well, lucky you.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2007, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Using the metaphor of a volume control for the emotional intensity of expression, with a gradation from one to ten, a typical child will gradually increase his or her expression of anger through all volume levels. The child or adult with Asperger's syndrome may only have two settings, between one and two, and nine and ten. Events that may precipitate a three to eight reaction in a typical child can precipitate a nine or ten level of expression in someone with Asperger's syndrome. Thus, for some people with Asperger's syndrome, there appears to be a faulty emotion regulation or control mechanism for expressing anger.
When feeling angry, the person with Asperger's syndrome does not appear to be able to pause and think of alternative strategies to resolve the situation, considering his or her intellectual capacity and age. There is often an instantaneous physical response without careful thought. When the anger is intense, the person with Asperger's syndrome may be in a 'blind rage' and unable to see the signals indicating that it would be appropriate to stop.

wow. thanks for posting that and sharing. I'd never read it described like that, and it puts it in persepective for me. I can definately relate to my emotions either being a one or two or esclated to a 9/10.. Usually I'm moving about at a one/two.. I rarely if ever get rageful or angry (in fact I often find myself not experiencing anger at all even when I probably should be. ??) and am never dangerous to anyone, but I do experience extreme high, intense emotions with intense crying, severe frustration, etc. though most often it doesn't get to that, and I just experience the shut down..

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 3:51 am

Quote:
and I would have been stuck right near other people, with no "walls" around me.

I almost go into fetal position when that happens.

Meltdowns aren't very much about rage in my case. Only as a response to sheer, overwhelming fear and helplessnes, if at all.

When it comes to the control of pure rage, I don't even go yell in my basement, so maybe the poison-man needs to learn selfdiscipline more than I do...

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 8:19 am

beautifulspam wrote:
Quote:
If you are AS, and you can control your meltdowns, it would be useful to share with us how you do it instead of criticizing us.

I control my anger by not yelling at people.
Funny. I have occassionally been successful in stemming impending meltdowns exactly by getting angry and yelling at people. This may just be one of my own peculiarities, but I have been angry and had meltdowns. A meltdown is more like a chemical straight-jacket than anything else, and it is nothing like anger.

Quote:
I take myself out of the situation, withdrawing physically or mentally,
Often, there is no situation. That's the thing.

Quote:
take a braoder perspective (this too shall pass, by tomorrow morning it will seem trivial etc)
It already seems pretty petty and trivial while we're having the meltdowns. I think that most of us are aware that the circumstances under which these fits occur are the trigger, not the cause.

Quote:
and wait until...
There is no waiting. It doesn't work that way. If the meltdown can be stemmed, it generally doesn't appear later. They're non-transferable. If I can avoid rupture, which I have gotten amazingly good at in the past couple of years, I usually feel like a million bucks later in the day.

Last edited by Griff on 20 Oct 2007, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 2:21 pm

perhaps poison man vents his uncontrollable energies at other aspies rather than finding productive ways to accept and deal with what he's been dealt..

sounds like most people here are aware of what happens and how they react, and take the necessary actions to do what they need to when it happens.. i don't think there seem to be many here that use the spectrum as an excuse to go into the fits of harmful rage he is speaking of..

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Oct 2007, 4:25 pm

I don't yell at people either especially in work places. I just try really hard not to take out my frustrations on others BUT that doesn't mean others can easily do it. It took years and years of figuring out how to respond and I am not sure right now if I'm still having meltdowns but respond differently like now if I'm placed in an unfamiliar situation with little information, I don't have angry outbursts but I shutdown. Is that still having a meltdown? What is a meltdown? Is it just having angry outbursts?

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 5:30 pm

Kitsy wrote:
I don't have angry outbursts but I shutdown. Is that still having a meltdown?
I would suspect a similarity.

Quote:
What is a meltdown? Is it just having angry outbursts?
An uncontrollable attack of paranoia, anger, and panic, often accompanied by crying and usually followed by a deep sense of emptiness and futility. The power of darkness is helpful in controlling them, though.