Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 10:01 am

I read some about hypnosis and autism and due to non-existing studies I wonder how well people on the autistic spectrum (like, everybody on the spectrum, classical and aspergers) react to hypnosis?

Maybe I totally miss the point of hypnosis or my barrier between consciousness and subconsciousness is really screwed, because I can't even meditate in the common way that other people do, but I can easily tune my awareness of pain or make myself believe the most strange things as if they were true. I just need to calm down for a moment and "let go", easy, nothing fancy.
Maybe it has to do that I was a lot more autistic ("low-functioning" is a stupid label) as a kid, because I feel that there are certain similarities, but my subconsciousness and my consciousness seem closely connected.

So, yeah, have you had any experience with hypnosis? NLP? (Meditation even?)
Or: Do you believe you are easy or hard to be hypnotised?

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 10:06 am

I tried hypnosis a few years ago. The woman I saw was a little irritable and made me nervous. In fact I was so tense I am pretty sure that I did not "go under". Saying that she experimented with putting me off certain foods, and actually I went off sweet foods after that one session.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 12:27 pm

I am absolutely oblivious to hypnosis. One time, there was a professional hypnotist performing at my college. He invited fifteen people from the audience to go onstage, and I was one of the volunteers. Almost everybody onstage and more than half the people in the audience were completely affected: they barked like dogs, meowed, and howled; crawled on all fours when told to; and scratched like crazy, because the hypnotist told them they had fleas. Only me and one other person onstage were unaffected; I just sat there with a calm expression on my face, trying to hold in the laughter. After the show, the hypnotist came up to me personally, and told me he's never seen someone so oblivious to his hypnosis methods.

Macallan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2007, 12:30 pm

So far hypnosis has been a waste of time with me. I just sit there trying hard not to laugh and not succeeding.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Oct 2007, 2:28 pm

ive never tried it, im too Image

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 2:46 pm

I have yet to find out.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 3:20 pm

It worked for me.

At one point I was smoking forty cigarettes a day and I had real problems giving up. I'd tried the nicotine gum and the patches but they had no effect so my doctor suggested hypnosis. The guy I went to told me that he was going to charge $200 for ten minutes work BUT if it didn't work then the next treatment would be free, and the one after that, and the one after that ad infinitum.

He then hypnotised me into thinking that everytime I smoked a cigarette it would smell like vomit. I could walk into a smoke filled room and it would have no effect but put that cigarette in my hand and the post-hypnotic suggestion would be triggered. I haven't smoked since then and my hypnosis was twenty years ago this Christmas.

Ed Almos

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 3:24 pm

Not really, I'm too naturally vigilant so even giving in when I want to tends not to be an option. Truth is though all hypnosis is really self-hypnosis, having a person guide you is really just an aid in the sense that you don't have to manually think about or say anything yourself. For me I've always had my own self-made version of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy that works pretty well on curbing habits or changing things that I want to about myself, it takes a long time to really gain effect but its because I take a real thurough and complete approach and try to get at the bottom line root of the problem rather than trying to just taking care of the surface aspects.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Oct 2007, 3:31 pm

Hypnosis...

I don't even have to see a professional hypnotist to be hypnotised...it's true!
My cousin who is intensly interested in hypnotism, no professional training has managed to hypnotise me twice! He went onto a hypnitism website of some sort...it gave an explanation of what to say and do etc and he did it.

I am very easily hypnotised.

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 5:35 pm

I've never tried hypnosis.

I know, you're probably thinking, "Well, what the heck is this weirdo posting here for?"

I wanted to say that I meditate. I attempt to do it daily, but it's hard when you can't always find someplace spiritual and people are cracking rude, stereotypical jokes all around you, making it difficuly to get into a relaxed state of mind.

Some people think it's cool. But some people just think I'm a freak. Or they might just think that because I threatened to play "Duck Duck touch me and chairs go flying". ...I'm not evil, just a bit angry sometimes. And it was a joke.

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 5:53 pm

Nope.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 5:39 pm

No - futile for me. I suspect I'm already there.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 6:03 pm

Sora wrote:
I read some about hypnosis and autism and due to non-existing studies I wonder how well people on the autistic spectrum (like, everybody on the spectrum, classical and aspergers) react to hypnosis?

Maybe I totally miss the point of hypnosis or my barrier between consciousness and subconsciousness is really screwed, because I can't even meditate in the common way that other people do, but I can easily tune my awareness of pain or make myself believe the most strange things as if they were true. I just need to calm down for a moment and "let go", easy, nothing fancy.
Maybe it has to do that I was a lot more autistic ("low-functioning" is a stupid label) as a kid, because I feel that there are certain similarities, but my subconsciousness and my consciousness seem closely connected.

So, yeah, have you had any experience with hypnosis? NLP? (Meditation even?)
Or: Do you believe you are easy or hard to be hypnotised?

the dentists am go to are SN/disability dentists and they use hypnosis in combination with other stuff,they tried it on am several times until they gave up,it gives as much reaction as hearing about anything else does.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

24 Oct 2007, 6:55 pm

Hypnosis has absolutely no effect on me. I find the entire notion extremely dubious, and have roughly as much faith in it as, well, faith healing.

I do meditate regularly, which I believe is something different from hypnosis. Sensory deprivation aids me in meditating, during which time my mind is able to slip almost entirely out of my body; I could not do it if people were bothering me, which is why I generally have a special place of isolation and peace for such things.

Good fortune,

- Icarus knows nirvana well...

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 12:01 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
...Truth is though all hypnosis is really self-hypnosis, having a person guide you is really just an aid in the sense that you don't have to manually think about or say anything yourself....

Sounds plausible to me.

I've never had anyone try to hypnotize me, and I have to confess I'm very curious if that would be possible. I have a hard time even believing there is such a thing.

I strongly suspect that I can't be hypnotized-I'd be really shocked, and kind of scared, if it turned out I could be.