Do you "have to learn things the hard way"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 2:16 pm

When I don't seem to learn things, it's not because I was born with an impaired ability to learn and understand. I'm understimulated, and that's what makes it hard for me to concentrate on what needs to be learned. I need stimulation inside first, before I can concentrate. I'm a depressive, nto a ret*d. Repeating as if I'm just slow understanding is useless and insulting.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 2:54 pm

That's what someone with ADD explained to me. You're not ADD are you? or is it the same with depression?

Either way it's interesting and I can relate.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 3:12 pm

I'm probably ADD. The depression came from it. Everyone couldn't believe it when the shrink jsut doubled my dose of Celexa rather than prescribe Ritalin. He said I didn't need a stimulant because I was too wired. I was wired BECAUSE I needed a stimulant! I was looking around for stimulation outside because there was none inside, and I was frantic and depressed. But since he saw me sitting down reading a magazine in the waiting room, he decided I wasn't ADD. I tried to explain but he wouldn't listen. I should have done a better job anyway! It was HOPE that I would get a stimulant that made me able to sit still in the waiting room!

kate-silverton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2007, 3:15 pm

Ana54 wrote:
nto a ret*d

obviously

Stockton
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2007, 7:12 pm

Going strictly by the thread title and not the initial post, I've found that I do have to leard a lot of things "the hard way," figuratively speaking. When I say this, I refer to life's lessons, not practical things.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Oct 2007, 7:14 pm

apparently i like learning things the hard way :lol:

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 8:00 pm

I'm much the same way. I find that a lack of stimulation literally makes me stupid. I have to have something to do all the time to stimulate my brain, whether it is reading, writing, crossword puzzles or word games. I also like the cute cat puzzles on my Siamese site.

becca423b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Oct 2007, 9:43 pm

haha yes...........every time i would do something stupid, my mom would always say "becky, why do you insist on learning everything the hard way?" i got so sick of hearing it! and yet it was so true......

Maxx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2007, 9:50 pm

Socially? Yes, for the most part I must learn everything the hard way along these lines. Fortunately, I am learning though, and am working on alleviating my weaknesses.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 10:08 pm

The way that makes sense to 98% of the population is guaranteed NOT to make sense to me. I have to do everything the long/hard way, because otherwise I don't understand what/why I'm doing it.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 9:39 am

we could do learning hard way thinkgs club :lol:

Frosty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2007, 10:32 am

At times I do, other stuff I catch onto with a snap. More non-social skills involved the better I seem to do – the social stuff I fake.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 10:35 am

Yep... :|
I have to learn things the hard way, take things the hard way, do things the hard way...

But ultimately when I'm rich and famous none of that will matter. :lol:

I hope... lol

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 12:12 pm

Ana54 wrote:
When I don't seem to learn things, it's not because I was born with an impaired ability to learn and understand. I'm understimulated, and that's what makes it hard for me to concentrate on what needs to be learned. I need stimulation inside first, before I can concentrate. I'm a depressive, nto a ret*d. Repeating as if I'm just slow understanding is useless and insulting.

Throughout my whole life, I have heard this statement hundreds of times: "Why do you have to learn everything the hard way?" :roll:

So yeah, I can relate to what you're saying.