Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2007, 4:36 pm

STAY AWAY FROM MICHIGAN!! !! I live in a small town in Michigan right now, but nowhere I've lived has much more than a bunch of holier than thou ignorant fools who BELIEVE they know all there is to know about autism and their belief is that you can just "get over it". Nice. Plus public transportation is limited and very expensive.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 6:52 pm

Yes, Oregon is great!
Although you may want to come to the west side of the state because people who reside in Eastern Oregon are Aspie-phobic and think they are holier than thou!

Oregonians drink clean water all the damn time! :P

Portland is a great city to encounter. :P
Portland has great music & art scenes, along with awesome food scenes. :D
It is Aspie-friendly, but you may have to explain your Aspergers in three sentences. :)
We have bus, light rail, and streetcar. Tickets are $2. :)
There is also a tram, but tickets are $4, give the fact it cost $60 million to do. :evil:
It is a very popular bike-friendly city, so bring your bike! :P
Portland has seven colleges you can choose from, the most popular being Portland State University and Portland Community College, so Portland is a college city! :P

Portland is very liberal with great intellectuals who will welcome Aspies.
From best estimates, 20-30% of Portlanders fall into the LGBT Spectrum.

I could go on & on about Portland, but that is all I could come up with.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 8:10 pm

Wherever you go, don't go to small town New Palestine, Indiana! That was the most stuck-up, snobby, cliquey, racist (One of the reasons they hated me because I wasn't all Germanic!! !), most ret*d town I have ever seen! All of the surrounding areas hate it, and to be honest, they've got nothing to be so proud and stuck-up about! Their little town was built out of a cornfield!! ! Where I live now absolutely hates New Pal. That's enough of a plus for me to enjoy it here!

Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 8:16 pm

fresco wrote:
I wonder if San Francisco could be?

That would be a very likely candidate.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 8:17 pm

Where I live now, Wichita Falls, Texas, would not be a good candidate. While it's not openly hostile or snobby, there's not room for one to grow socially or intellectually, unless you're Southern Baptist.

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 8:22 pm

Anywhere in the Pacific Northwest is good for us, except for Idaho.

Moscow and Coeur d'Alene are probably ok, but the majority of the people in that state live in the Boise metro area, and Boise is very conservative (in fact, that area was supposedly part of the original Deseret community, which eventually became the state of Utah).

Tim

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 23 Oct 2007, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 8:37 pm

Not sure. Haven't lived outside of Ontario, but Toronto is a pretty tolerant place in my experience.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 9:16 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
fresco wrote:
I wonder if San Francisco could be?

That would be a very likely candidate.

Tim

We lived in SF until after our son was born, and might have stayed there if it seemed like a great place to raise a kid. It is a very aspie-positive place, but has a drawback common to any big city: if you're walking down the street at 3:45 AM on a weeknight, there is probably still someone looking out their window at you. It can be kind of creepy to have solitude feel that rare.

But Berkeley's just on the other side of the bay, much less crowded, and half of the town have some sort of tie to the university. Definitely worth considering.

jbburn
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2007, 12:04 am

I'm definitely moving to Denver next year for school. I'm planning on attending CCD or Metro State, while living in the student housing. Commutes will be simple, and I'll be in a central hub to all things of interest. A lot of my friends and others I get along with will be in the area, so I don't have to worry too much about socializing with new people.
The move from the suburbs, and my house, will be beneficial as well. I've grown too accustomed of living here. I'll be forced to manage my priorities of school, social life, and my own endeavors. In the move, I'll be forced to minimize my possessions. It will be hard--I've grown up collecting a ton of memorabilia and an assortment of my own writings; whenever I begin to clean my room, I never want to throw them out, although I know they're all negligible objects. I'll certainly look at each item and see if there's justification for it to stay.
However, my list of necessities is this: guitar, amp, CD player, iPod, computer, small television, books, paint supplies, and items that hold true sentimental value. The list is kind of limited, but I don't want to digress, it's getting late and I have to shower.
I have faith in myself, and I know that if I falter I can return to a hectic, yet loving, home.

Before I forget, I'll be able to have a cat!

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 11:48 am

this post has been the most interesting in that, it's out of the ordinary for that matter.Anyways, I'm not sure what city(ies) would necessarily constitute the most AS-friendly however, where I live I'm treated in a fairly nice manner but, I'm not sure how other Autistics are treated as, it's a small town and of yet have not come across others in the Autistic spectrum but, feel the same niceness would be shown though.

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2007, 7:25 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Portland is my favorite place in the entire world! :D

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Oct 2007, 8:19 pm

How about near Silicon Valley? I hear it's Aspie country out there. hehe

geek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 8:39 pm

Silicon valley is very aspie-tolerant, but there's not so much to do there. You get up, spend an hour driving 10 miles to work, sit in your cube for 10 hours or so, spend another hour driving home, and... that's about it. There is no sort of downtown like you have in San Francisco, other than the traffic problems it's more like an enormous suburb. Which is OK if that's what you like, I guess. But if I'm going to have to pay $800,000 for a smallish, 20 year old, generally unremarkable house, I want a little more.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 8:45 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Yes, Oregon is great!
Although you may want to come to the west side of the state because people who reside in Eastern Oregon are Aspie-phobic and think they are holier than thou!

Oregonians drink clean water all the damn time! :P

Portland is a great city to encounter. :P
Portland has great music & art scenes, along with awesome food scenes. :D
It is Aspie-friendly, but you may have to explain your Aspergers in three sentences. :)
We have bus, light rail, and streetcar. Tickets are $2. :)
There is also a tram, but tickets are $4, give the fact it cost $60 million to do. :evil:
It is a very popular bike-friendly city, so bring your bike! :P
Portland has seven colleges you can choose from, the most popular being Portland State University and Portland Community College, so Portland is a college city! :P

Portland is very liberal with great intellectuals who will welcome Aspies.
From best estimates, 20-30% of Portlanders fall into the LGBT Spectrum.

These are a very odd set of points. What do they have to do with being aspie friendly in particular? Do people in other cities prefer to drink dirty water? Are aspies more into "music and art scenes"? Public transportation? Gay people?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 8:57 pm

PhilolovesJ wrote:
This is an interesting subject.
My guess for an aspie friendly city would be one with:

a tolerant and/or aloof/minding your own self vibe.
large amounts of other different types...techies/geeks/artsy folks/LGBT people
Intellectual/Literature/Art vibe
Good public transport would be important for many aspies as many can't drive .

My guesses?

New England has many places like this...Burlington,Vermont,Portland,Maine,Boston

WHOA! I am in burlington MA. Where should I go?

PhilolovesJ wrote:
NYC to an extent

DOUBT IT! 8-(

PhilolovesJ wrote:
Washington,DC actually fits it well

I didn't see it!

PhilolovesJ wrote:
Seattle and Portland Oregon fit
Denver and some other places in the west...maybe Alaska or Montana
The Bay Area and LA to a lesser extent.

LA? I was there for a LONG time, and never saw that good.

PhilolovesJ wrote:
My main guess is the more liberal,diverse and intellectual as well as aloof and big a place is the better it is.

Good luck finding a good aspie place!

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 9:33 pm

What are your experiences with cities in the South such as Birmingham, Atlanta, or Charlotte?