Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 5:44 pm

I have a question about gait/walking. My wife used to say I walked funnily. I asked my stepdaughter tonight she said not funny but wobbly . I said 'like a weeble?' . She said 'No like drunk! Anyone else have gait/walking issues?

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 5:46 pm

Well...hmm...my mother had always yelled at me for walking hunched over while looking grumpy all the time and would tell me to "Stand up straight and stop looking angry!". But nothing like having a bad leg or anything.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 6:15 pm

For me it's also the slumped posture while walking, staring at the ground or floor.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 6:19 pm

I don't think I slump,but couldn't say for certain.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 6:28 pm

I'm a little wobbly/awkward. I've definitely had my gait ridiculed.

Haiku
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2017, 1:41 pm

My gait is definitely unusual, most notably for its deliberacy and pronounced slowness. I have pretty severe dyspraxia, impairments in proprioception and interoception, and vestibular issues. All of the above are shown to be common in autism. Not every autistic person has these issues, but it's definitely a known thing -- a search for articles on "proprioception autism" turns up many relevant results on proprioception and/or motor control in ASD. Even in the original descriptions of autism by Leo Kanner and Hans Asperger, respectively, motor clumsiness was mentioned as a common feature.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 1:48 pm

Regarding walking, I don't think my body/brain connectivity can be all there at times either, especially if I'm anxious. Often walk into things. I don't turn around or divert myself easily onto a different route and tend to plough straight through crowds. I don't do it to be rude... but if I start dithering, soon that's all I'll be able to do. Had far greater issues with walking in the past, though. Today I just have a general stiffness/mechanical quality to my walk, that I know I'm doing but can't help: it's maddening.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2017, 2:30 pm

Unusual gait is pretty common amongst our community. I walk very fast, head down (avoids eye contact). I have been told I do a sort of fast lurch.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2017, 3:19 pm

I've been told there's something weird about the way that I both stand and walk. People can't normally put their finger on what it is, but I think it's because I'm so deliberate about everything that I do that it reads as unnatural. Not sure though.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 6:30 pm

I get told a lot that I look odd when walking and standing. I walk looking at my feet all the time and I make unusual arm and hand movements while walking a lot of the time. When I stand, I usually rock back and forth a bit.

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2017, 6:43 pm

I was once told by an acquaintance that they spotted me in a crowd by the way I walked. When I pressed they wouldn't elaborate, so not sure specifically what they noticed.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 9:59 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
When I stand, I usually rock back and forth a bit.

So do I, have done it for years.

I can barely walk in a straight line, I think it's due to me having no depth perception and how my vision is very different in each eye.

My flatmate walks like a penguin - feet turned out. When she was younger she had to see a podiatrist and they had her work on the way she walked so she's better than she used to be.

Now she has to wear orthotics in her shoes and she has the odd combination of being flat footed but with high arches. It's difficult to find shoes that fit her.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm

renaeden wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:

I can barely walk in a straight line, I think it's due to me having no depth perception and how my vision is very different in each eye.

My flatmate walks like a penguin - feet turned out. When she was younger she had to see a podiatrist and they had her work on the way she walked so she's better than she used to be.

Now she has to wear orthotics in her shoes and she has the odd combination of being flat footed but with high arches. It's difficult to find shoes that fit her.

Not sure if it's the same thing but I had to wear insoles as a child but stopped after a while because they were expensive and I kept losing them.
I apparently had flat feet and a high instep.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 10:37 pm

A lot of people with autism have neurological motor dysfunction that makes their walking awkward.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2017, 11:32 pm

I have some gait issues, but not walking issues. Or any motor issues at all despite having odd gaits and body language from time to time.
Yet, said gait issue didn't count for me maybe except additional movement. The worst case I have is time reaction and occasional spatial glitch.

I could look awkward, but performance wise isn't the case.
I could look confident and striding if I want to, and I do it naturally.
But if I went lax with little to take account for... Or very uncertain, confused (or if rarely anxious)... :lol: Anyone could've mistook me for a closer to classic case. Even with being lax, it doesn't usually affect my motor performance. Except when I'm very tired I'd just slow down.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 12:05 am

firemonkey wrote:
renaeden wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:

Not sure if it's the same thing but I had to wear insoles as a child but stopped after a while because they were expensive and I kept losing them.
I apparently had flat feet and a high instep.
That does sound like the same thing. Orthotics/insoles are still expensive too.