Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which cortical hemisphere is dominant for you?
Left 26%  26%  [ 12 ]
Left 26%  26%  [ 12 ]
Equidominant (Ambidextrous) 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Equidominant (Ambidextrous) 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Right 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Right 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 46

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 5:55 pm

Which cortical hemisphere is dominant for you? There are many ways to can determine brain laterlization, and you may get conflicting results.

Bodily Preferences

• Handedness
    • Which hand do you write with? (Left-handedness indicates right-hemispheric dominance; right-handedness indicates left-hemisphere dominance.)
    • When you clasp your hands together, finger between finger, which thumb is on top? (If your right thumb is on top of the left one, it indicates right-hemispheric dominance; the inverse is also true.)
  • Eye dominance (Line a finger up with the nose and hold it out so that it appears under an object in the distance. Close each eye alternatively. Whichever eye you can still see out of when the other is closed is the dominant eye. Left-eyedness indicates right-brainedness; right-eyedness indicates left-brainedness.)
  • Foot dominance (What foot do you use to kick with when playing a sport like soccer or kickball?)
  • Intelligence tests (Higher verbal IQ than performance IQ indicates left-brainedness; higher performance IQ than verbal IQ indicates right-brainedness.)
  • Personality (Right-brained people tend to be more creative, impulsive, and emotionally aware; left-brained people are more analytical, organized, and inhibited.)

All these point to right-brainedness for me except foot-dominance and my verbal intellectual preference.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 6:07 pm

I don't think I even have any brain matter on my right side! :lol:

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 6:46 pm

I read somewhere of a theory that said that all left-handed people are one of a pair of twins, only the other twin must have died before it could be detected, because when a pair of twins is born, one is usually left handed and the other right handed. No idea how accurate this is, just thought it was interesting

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 7:21 pm

I didn't vote, I have a highly left brained personality, but by the physical factors you gave I should be right brained.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 7:36 pm

I'm left-right bilingual. At the moment I have a preference for right-brain thinking, but that's changed multiple times throughout my life.

I'm right-eyed, right-handed, and had my left thumb on top when I clasped my hands, so by those tests, I'm still left-brained.

I'm creative, emotionally aware, organized, and inhibited.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 8:42 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Which cortical hemisphere is dominant for you? There are many ways to can determine brain laterlization, and you may get conflicting results.

Bodily Preferences

• Handedness
    • Which hand do you write with? (Left-handedness indicates right-hemispheric dominance; right-handedness indicates left-hemisphere dominance.)
    • When you clasp your hands together, finger between finger, which thumb is on top? (If your right thumb is on top of the left one, it indicates right-hemispheric dominance; the inverse is also true.)
  • Eye dominance (Line a finger up with the nose and hold it out so that it appears under an object in the distance. Close each eye alternatively. Whichever eye you can still see out of when the other is closed is the dominant eye. Left-eyedness indicates right-brainedness; right-eyedness indicates left-brainedness.)
  • Foot dominance (What foot do you use to kick with when playing a sport like soccer or kickball?)
  • Intelligence tests (Higher verbal IQ than performance IQ indicates left-brainedness; higher performance IQ than verbal IQ indicates right-brainedness.)
  • Personality (Right-brained people tend to be more creative, impulsive, and emotionally aware; left-brained people are more analytical, organized, and inhibited.)

All these point to right-brainedness for me except foot-dominance and my verbal intellectual preference.

Left hemisphere arguments: Very right-handed, left thumb on top, right eye dominant, right foot dominant, higher verbal than performance IQ, anayltical, organized, and inhibited

Right hemisphere arguments: But I'm also creative, can be impulsive, and am VERY emotionally aware!! !!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 10:31 pm

I've taken online tests and had conflicting results. I'm both, but mostly right (for now). Like pyraxis, I guess it can change. I guess it all depends on how obsessive compulsive I am at the time.

I'm left handed (also good on right though), right thumbed, right footed and don't understand the eye test. I'm going to similarminds.com to see what results those tests give me.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 10:49 pm

http://similarminds.com/brain.html
Right Brain 40%
Left Brain 62%

http://similarminds.com/brain-word.html
Right Brain 36%
Left Brain 50%

http://similarminds.com/left-right-brain-test.html
Right Brain 40.4%
Left Brain 59.6%

Hmm...maybe I'm left brained? It seems pretty close. But I'm creative, but also very technical. Hmm...?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 5:53 am

Right Brain: Left-eyed (my vision is actually poorer in my right), left-footed, creative

Left Brain: Right-handed, Left-thumb on top, analytical, inhibited

I haven't had my IQ tested, so I'm not sure about that part. Overall, I appear to be brain-ambidexterous.

childofalessergod
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2005, 7:32 am

I don't understand how this "eye dominance" thing works. The instructions aren't all that clear to me...I don't know I'm supposed to be touching my nose, pointing it in a certain direction, etc. Either I can see my finger with both eyes or with neither(!) and that means the instructions are confusing or I'm ridiculously ambidextrious. Actually, both are probably true...in regards to the other criteria, I go both ways. (Haha, he said he goes both ways!)

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 10:38 am

Mockingbird wrote:
I read somewhere of a theory that said that all left-handed people are one of a pair of twins, only the other twin must have died before it could be detected, because when a pair of twins is born, one is usually left handed and the other right handed. No idea how accurate this is, just thought it was interesting

Well they suspect 1 in 8 singleton pregnancies started as twins but one twin vanished in early pregnancy before an u/s could detect the physical presence of twins.

And by what was stated in the original post, I seem to be fully left-brain dominant.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 7:45 pm

I have been reading some research articles on Right-Hemispheric Dysfunction in Aspergers which is somewhat in many aspects similar to NLD (though still some differences as well).

Despite that I am a highly creative person, I am also incredibly logical. So, I voted Left-Brained simply due to the physical characteristics of dominance and also a slight sway towards logic over my creative side.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 7:48 pm

These kind of questions are prone to self-attribution bias, too. Most people think they are logical; most people also think they're creative, because both are positive traits.

Does anyone know how scientifically valid the physical tests such as eye and hand dominance are? It seems odd that the majority of the population would be right-handed if that always correlated with left-brainedness. I thought the population was split approximately 50-50 between right and left brained people.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 7:59 pm

Brain Lateralisation Test 1

Right Brain |||||| 24%
Left Brain |||||||||||||||| 62%

Brain-Word Test

Right Brain |||||||||| 32%
Left Brain |||||||||||||| 56%

Brain Pair

Right Brain |||||||||||| 44.4%
Left Brain |||||||||||||| 55.6%

No, I don't know if it means much, either. I should say that on the third test, I marked everything straight down the middle, just to see if there was an anomaly.

And there I was, hoping I was a right-brain creative, who could 'think outside the box' - I guess that's just the massive Narcissistic Monster in me screaming for attention though ... {smile}

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 8:05 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
http://similarminds.com/brain.html
Right Brain 40%
Left Brain 62%

http://similarminds.com/brain-word.html
Right Brain 36%
Left Brain 50%

http://similarminds.com/left-right-brain-test.html
Right Brain 40.4%
Left Brain 59.6%

Hmm...maybe I'm left brained? It seems pretty close. But I'm creative, but also very technical. Hmm...?

Brain scores:

Right Brain 26%
Left Brain 74%

Brain-word scores:

Right Brain 42%
Left Brain 68%

left-right-brain scores:

Right Brain 38%
Left Brain 62%

But let me trump you here:

The Left or Right Brain Test

Balanced
You scored 63 %Lefty and 64 %Righty!
Almost perfect, both your hemispheres are balanced. You can understand and accept both objectivity and subjectivity. You see possibilities and can make decisions. But there's still some room for improvement.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 8:20 pm

LEFT= 70%

RIGHT= 54%

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/