Think I figured out why I have trouble reading some people..

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 7:22 pm

posts online. It's because some people don't write in paragraphs. On this board, I can read and comprehend much better than other messageboards I used to post at. I'd get scolded for poor reading comprehension. It just dawned on me why.

I have noticed that most people I've read in comparison on this board type alot alike. There are paragraphs.

I'll give you an example of the writing style I have trouble keeping up with. I'm just going to babble and make up meaningless conversation for example giving reasons so don't take it as real, just try to keep up.

Oneday it was a cold stormy night on a bright sunny day and all was well until this rabbit crawled into a hole and vanished. So then it was the perfect day to go out shopping and so these three girls and a guy went out shopping only to discover that they forgot to wear their pants with the exception of two girls who forgot to wear their skirt so instead of going back home to put them back on they decided to say oh well and just walk around but then a police officer stopped them and wrote them a ticket. It wasn't for what you would suspect but instead it was the fashion police writing tickets for bad choice in underwear so then the people went looking around for the clothing they have always wanted only to discover that the rabbit that crawled into the hole dug a tunnel up into the store and pulled all of their favorite articles of clothing off of the rack and dragged it down into his hole and snickered as any normal rabbit would so then the people got upset and kept walking around getting tickets from every fashion fascist police officer walking around the shopping area that day. It was awful what that rabbit had done. Everybody and their grandma knows that rabbits do not wear clothing and that rabbit was just trying to be disruptive but then the people stopped and sat on benches pondering why the rabbit would do such an awful thing but then it hit them that maybe the rabbit was pissed off because of all the building that were built on the poor bunnies natural habitat. The people then had the greatest idea ever to get their clothing from the rabbit and not have to pay a penny to the store. The people went outside and set the buildings on fire. The rabbit then came out of the hole after the fire went out and rewarded the pantless and skirtless wanderers with their clothing and the rabbit disappeared. The fashion police came up after the people had changed into their new clothing and gave them the key to the city for looking so great. While everyone else was running around screaming and upset over the burnt down store, the no longer pantless and skirtless people were very happy so they and the rabbit lived happily ever after with the exception of the other people freaking out over the burnt down store, the end.

xx Dan Monster

amhealy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2007, 7:26 pm

I've belonged to quite a few message boards. It is very difficult to read those large block paragraphs. Well, I can't read them. I used to ask people to break them up. But then I decided to just copy and paste into a word document, and then hit the "return" key every 2 to 3 sentences.

It makes my brain hurt to try to read what was written in that huge paragraph you posted. I didn't read it.

I think people with AD/HD have this problem, too. I have belonged to several AD/HD forums and people would complain about large block paragraphs.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 7:27 pm

We're like pythons.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 7:28 pm

it makes my brain hurt too Amhealy. What do you mean like pythons Basshead? In what way. Explain.

xx Dan Monster

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 7:53 pm

They take a hell of a long time to digest a big animal

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 7:54 pm

Basshead wrote:
They take a hell of a long time to digest a big animal

lol. I see.

xx Dan Monster

cybermancer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2007, 8:09 pm

Its called "wall of text" btw.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 8:38 pm

cybermancer wrote:
Its called "wall of text" btw.

Quite right, and John Stuart Mill was quite guilty of this. I was reading On Liberty and sometimes wanted to take a break at the next paragraph near the beginning of a page (for easy pick-up later), but one paragraph could sometimes continue across three paperback pages! Especially on higher-resolution screens, not breaking the text into shorter paragraphs makes it difficult to keep one's place, especially while multitasking (as I sometimes do while browsing, often reading multiple webpages at the same time).

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 10:16 pm

That was hard to read. I'm glad that the rabbit finally found happiness, though.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

11 Nov 2007, 12:03 am

I've already told Graelwyn that I'll start using more paragraphs.

I dunno about every 2-3 sentences.

Maybe every 1 sentence.

That would be an interesting writing style.

I wonder if the user of a paragraph per sentence would defeat the purpose of paragraphs at all?

I write a lot, use lots of words.

But I do want people to read my stuff.

Many do.

Many complement.

But some complain it is "too long".

If I can't please everyone half the time,

perhaps I can please nobody most of the time.

It may be worth it.

I don't know.

Everything in life is a trade off,

a compromise.

Perhaps I'll start writing my posts like BASIC programs.

10. With line numbers incrementing by 10's.

20. That might be an interesting style too.

30. I'm open to trying new things.

40. But something that I often wonder is,

50. are people with AS or autism able to read books at all?

60. Think of the huge blocks of text in a typical fantasy novel.

70. My gods!

80. It is truly mind boggling.

90. I so often wish that I was just telepathic.

100. Human language is such a cumbersome, ineloquent, imprecise thing.

110. So easy to misinterpret.

120. So easy to misunderstand.

130. Inherently ambiguous.

140. Subject to enormous data loss when translating thoughts.

150. But let me know.

160. I am always open to feedback.

Good fortune,

- Icarus just wants to communicate...

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 12:39 am

I do wonder what the rabbit's motive was?

Speaking to self, thick posts, speaking to one, meaningless without background, context.

Speaking to many, varied in reading ability, age, view, helps to stay on subject.

Through my last university trip, the five paragraph essay, Sentence, paragraph, just like always done with parchment and quills.

Whole new game here. I do not think that is a sentence, I have been trying to quit.

This is more like thought, fragments, open ideas, that do not end, reader choice.

Many minds, many meanings, the more I write the less I know.

Condemned all my life, that is not writing, that is stream of conciousness, It is just ideas, thoughts, and I have some mental problem that says, So?

One idea per essay, only thoughts that support it.

Sometimes I am sure I am wrong, only seeing part, hope someone can answer my questions, finish the sentence fragments.

We must destroy the language to save it.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2007, 12:46 am

Icarus_Falling wrote:

Maybe every 1 sentence.

Hey, you can't post like this... it's the way I post... :P

Actually, I give the double return after I finish a whole thought. Sometimes this just happens after one sentence... sometimes after more.

Complete sentence. Often use. Sometimes not.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Nov 2007, 1:14 am

2nd test.

Fiction with different writing. When you or if you finish reading, tell me in your own words the story without reading it again.

Polly the parrot was born on December fifth 1999. The parrot was a very happy parrot until oneday, Polly's parents decided that she was abnormal because she couldn't come up with her own abstract stories.

The problem with Polly was, she repeated everything she heard out loud. She repeated guests and even repeated words that would get someone else in trouble.

This was the final straw for her dad mostly because her dad was afraid Polly would repeat private discussions in front of the wrong person.

Polly went to the shrink and did nothing but repeat everything she had heard that day. She repeated her father's diabolical plots to take over the world.

The shrink was actually the father's unseen enemy. The shrink thanked Polly and prescribed Polly pills that were supposed to help her quit repeating behaviors but instead maliciously gave her pills that wiped her memory clean of everything including the ability to speak.

Polly just knew too much. On the way home, the father was very happy. He would rather she not speak than say the wrong discriminating words.

Polly got home and sat there on her perch doing nothing. She stared into empty space. Inside of her mind, she could still think, she could still hear words and she was listening to her favorite song.

The mother grew concerned but the father said, it's better this way. Polly the parrot showed no affection.

Oneday, Polly stopped taking the pills. Everything started to come back. She knew she could speak again. She grew aware that her father did not really want her to speak so she just thought that it would be better to not speak at all.

At night time, Polly decided she needed to get away. Polly spread her wings and flew out the window leaving her family behind. She felt it was for the best. Polly found a new home up in a tree where she could be herself and repeat all the sounds she heard.

For food she hunted. She was finally free.

The End.

xx Dan Monster

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2007, 8:44 am

Icarus_Falling wrote:

Maybe every 1 sentence.

I wonder if the user of a paragraph per sentence would defeat the purpose of paragraphs at all?

I write a lot, use lots of words.

But I do want people to read my stuff.

Many do.

Many complement.

But some complain it is "too long".

If I can't please everyone half the time,

perhaps I can please nobody most of the time.

It may be worth it.

I don't know.

Everything in life is a trade off,

a compromise.

Perhaps I'll start writing my posts like BASIC programs.

10. With line numbers incrementing by 10's.

20. That might be an interesting style too.

30. I'm open to trying new things.

40. But something that I often wonder is,

50. are people with AS or autism able to read books at all?

60. Think of the huge blocks of text in a typical fantasy novel.

70. My gods!

80. It is truly mind boggling.

90. I so often wish that I was just telepathic.

100. Human language is such a cumbersome, ineloquent, imprecise thing.

110. So easy to misinterpret.

120. So easy to misunderstand.

130. Inherently ambiguous.

140. Subject to enormous data loss when translating thoughts.

150. But let me know.

160. I am always open to feedback.

Good fortune,

- Icarus just wants to communicate...

Haha, yeah, it does defeat the purpose. I can't read posts with too many short paragraphs. It drives me crazy! But on the other hand, I can't read posts of one long paragraph, either. The best posts seem to be ones like yours, Icarus. The paragraph length makes sense, and I always trust you to use proper English (something I appreciate in posts).

Also, as a writer, I know the value of paragraphs. I don't know if I do a good job or not, but I'm always conscious of my own paragraph formation...

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Nov 2007, 1:49 pm

i miss the way calandale used to type :(

Macallan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2007, 2:38 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i miss the way calandale used to type :(

That 'short line' style drove me to distraction and I stopped reading his posts. The lines of text ended prematurely and there was consequently no 'flow' to the paragraph. Made it hard to read, for me at least.