Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2007, 8:22 am

I go to a school where only people diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome is allowed. A little while ago we were all subjected to a number of tests to see how good our memory is, with the goal being to see what way of teaching would benefit us the most. Now, as is commonly known, people with AS tend to have a good memory for things. However, what spooked me is that despite being in a group full of aspies, I was told I had a significantly higher memory than the rest. I would remember much in each test and generally get higher scores than the rest. Now people call me RememberAll, and whenever I point out small facts they think it's funny that I remember such obscure things.

Why? Have you ever had similar situations? I would understand it if it had been amongst NTs, but there I was in a group of diagnosed Aspies. I wouldn't say I have a better memory than the rest; to be honest I have always considered my memory to be quite faulty, because I keep forgetting essential information.

Opinions?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 8:29 am

Some people with autism and its related conditions can show advanced memory (see: Asperger's); they can also have poor memory. The cognitive pattern tends to go to the extremes in many with autism and its related conditions.

I have a picture perfect memory for images; I lose it when I'm overwhelmed.

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2007, 8:42 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I have a picture perfect memory for images; I lose it when I'm overwhelmed.

If you don't mind me asking, what has to happen for you to be overwhelmed? I'm asking because I'm wondering if the other aspies in my group could have preformed poorly because of the stress of having to remember something, making them forget instead.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 8:55 am

WOW! I can understand if they are surprised at your abilities, but they call you "rememberall"? Hopefully it is done as a COMPLIMENT! What gets me is that they are surprised you remember obscure things. Don't MOST AS people? My memory isn't that great, but I remember LOTS of odd stuff.

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 01 Dec 2007, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2007, 9:08 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
WOW! I can understand there being surprised at your abilities, but they call you "rememberall"? Hopefully it is done as a COMPLIMENT! What gets me is that they are surprised you remember obscure things. Don't MOST AS people? My memory isn't that great, but I remember LOTS of odd stuff.

Sarcasm? (pardon me if not.)
Anyway, yes. Most people with AS remember obscure things. Hence why I'm kind of confused as to why this could be and wanting to know if other aspies have had experiences of similar things, or if it could be something environmental, like a problem of not being focused. I know that in my case it's either that I remember or it's completely lost to me, so I was thinking if it might be that the information they were supposed to memorize was "lost" to them as well.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 9:45 am

When I'm overwhelmed I lose most of my cognitive functioning. I can be perpetually overwhelmed if I'm exposed to the triggers (see: a classroom full of people).

I have a terrible memory for day-to-day stuff, verbal commands and whatnot; things I read and see that I enjoy, I never forget.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 10:29 am

I have a good memory for things I read, not so great for things I hear just once, unless it taken from something that it written down.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Dec 2007, 11:27 am

I have a super good long term memory and often experience my memeories in pictures or movies. This can go back till I was about 2 or 3 and I can very easily recall what my house looked like that I moved outa when I was 8, I had not been inside of it in 16 years and yet seem to know the house far better then mom and dad. I also can remember some conversations that took place many many years ago, even as well as sensation. I certainly dont think the kind of detailed memory I exibit is normal.

At the same time, short term is not so good, I can forget verbal instructions easily for example.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 11:32 am

depth wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
WOW! I can understand there being surprised at your abilities, but they call you "rememberall"? Hopefully it is done as a COMPLIMENT! What gets me is that they are surprised you remember obscure things. Don't MOST AS people? My memory isn't that great, but I remember LOTS of odd stuff.

Sarcasm? (pardon me if not.)
Anyway, yes. Most people with AS remember obscure things. Hence why I'm kind of confused as to why this could be and wanting to know if other aspies have had experiences of similar things, or if it could be something environmental, like a problem of not being focused. I know that in my case it's either that I remember or it's completely lost to me, so I was thinking if it might be that the information they were supposed to memorize was "lost" to them as well.

Sarcasm? WHERE? Nope, I wasn't being sarcastic.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 1:44 pm

woodsman25 wrote:
I have a super good long term memory and often experience my memeories in pictures or movies. This can go back till I was about 2 or 3 and I can very easily recall what my house looked like that I moved outa when I was 8, I had not been inside of it in 16 years and yet seem to know the house far better then mom and dad. I also can remember some conversations that took place many many years ago, even as well as sensation. I certainly dont think the kind of detailed memory I exibit is normal.

At the same time, short term is not so good, I can forget verbal instructions easily for example.

same...

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

depth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2007, 2:48 pm

woodsman25 wrote:

Ah. So then it could, perhaps, be assumed that the aspies at my school are kind of like that, in regards of their memory's function.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 4:11 pm

I have a good memory for flags, maps n train models its an area im very interested in.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 4:17 pm

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that aspies only necessarily have a good long term memory. Without a good long term memory, you can kiss most of the aspie abilities GOOD BYE! But I guess a good short term memory isn't a guaranteed part of the package. My short term memory used to be MUCH better than it is, but it wasn't perfect. I WISH it was. But a long term memory IS pretty important. You can replace much of a short term memory with a pencil and paper, but you need a long term memory to quickly cross reference, find info, and understand complicated concepts.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 9:05 pm

I never forget...

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 8:05 pm

I've a pretty good visual memory, so I remember things if I turn them into obscure doodles on the side of my page. I sometimes wonder if that's all the Egyptian Heiroglyphs were: memory-joggers :P

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2007, 8:43 pm

My short tem working memory sucks. I used to be a director at a daycare and the girls used to laugh and send me back to my office for post it notes if I walked into their rooms without them. They knew if they told me something I would have to write it down or I would forget it as soon as I walked out of their rooms.

I have a photographic memory when it comes to seeing things in books. I can always remember the exact place I saw something, just not always the exact page. lol.

I also have a pretty good memory for things that I have learned. Once I learn something, it's in my brain forever.