Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2005, 11:26 am

Okay, so as you know, I took a trip to WIS. I have never seen so much corn in my life. I have to say that I liked Milwaukee. My brother-in-law attends UWM and lives downtown. I thought the view of Lake Michigan was beautiful and the town itself was neat. I can see why he chose to go to school there out of some of the other UW schools.

We went on a Mississippi River boat cruise, which departed from Dubuque, Iowa. I have to say the cruise itself was lame, as the boat fuel fumes were horrendous and continuously poured into the eating area. The captain had done the tour too many times, as he just kind of spouted a bunch of touristy stuff and didn't really going in to the history of the river, which is a very important part of American history, for any Brits reading this. I would have enhanced the tour with some Mark Twain references, some river music and maybe a poem, but that is just me.

Then the boat empties into a river museum, snore, and aquarium, yikes! I really don't care for bottom-feeding fish, such as, catfish, walleye and bass and I much prefer oceanic aquariums. The river otters were fun to watch and my daughter thought they were hilarious. Her little 1 year old body shook with laughter and she patted the glass and screamed at them.

It was not a fun trip, I wasn't excited to see anything and there was a lot of driving involved, b/c of where my in-laws live.

I have a renewed fondness, however, for the Mississippi River and am thinking about reading Huck Finn again.

Wisconsin is still flat, I am sorry to whomever posted about there being hills, but those are not considered hills even, in comparison to the topography of my State.

Then of course, b/c of the Nothwest mechanics strike, our flight was delayed an hour, then we sat on the tarmack for an hour and with a 1 year old, that is hell on earth. Then I had the misfortune of sitting next to a flight attendant, who was travelling home and she started mouthing off to me when I was expressing my frustration. I told her when you pay $650 for plane tickets (flight attendants and their families fly free) and the airline has had a year to prepare for the strike, you expect good service. They didn't even comp food or drinks. It was the worst.

I was stimming a lot, but luckily, I wore a pair of shorts, that have a particular seam which when I rub it, calms me down.

You will never believe this either. This morning, my daughter, G-d bless her, woke up covered in poop from head to toe. She rubbed it in her eyes and mouth. After her baths, the power went out.

Welcome home!

Tallgirl.

www.mississippirivermuseum.com/

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2005, 11:42 am

Otters are wonderful, aren't they!

Well, I'm glad the trip wasn't totally bad and that you are safely home now.

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2005, 11:44 am

Oh that sounds awful. Thank goodness you are home and hopefully things settle down.

By the way I experianced the baby covered in poo. You have my sympathy.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"