Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 9:39 am

You could prolly get a better idea if there was a YouTube documenting one as it was happening.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 9:40 am

bassackward wrote:
It's basically an emotional breakdown. All of your stress, anger, and nervousness just comes out and it's not very pleasant for other people to be around.

I think people on the spectrum in most cases will have some meltdowns sometimes... yesterday in College I was seething with rage... the people around didn't know what to say some sorta laughed not knowing what to say or do... I was cracking my knuckles and that... seething with rage... a guy asked what's up and I'm like "It's my damn head, man" and that...

It will happen sometimes... it's unpleasant to experience too lol as I'm sure you lot know. :D

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 9:47 am

Here's a guy having a mild meltdown in a hotel lobby -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yvo8GlrBH0[/youtube]

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Dec 2007, 10:38 am

I would not be any good if I was around him - discomfort makes me laugh. I want to use an emoticon, but am not sure what is appropriate here...

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

cruxdust
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2007, 12:36 pm

jjstar wrote:
Here's a guy having a mild meltdown in a hotel lobby -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yvo8GlrBH0[/youtube]

That was mild? 8O

Gosh, that must have been humiliating for the guy, not to mention rather scary for the people around him.

I've never, ever had a meltdown like that, or even an actual tantrum like that... Most I've ever done during what may have been a meltdown is slammed a door, but then, I've always found somewhere to hide, whether I had permission or not.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 12:45 pm

bassackward wrote:
It's basically an emotional breakdown. All of your stress, anger, and nervousness just comes out and it's not very pleasant for other people to be around.

That is so true in my case sometimes with me I don't want anyone standing near me at all also I lose my voice I can't speak properly when I'm like that the only words I can say is Yes or No. If I'm in a Meltdown you cannot hold a conversation best thing to do if you are at home it sometimes helps me and that is to go to bed and sleep it off. I haven't had a Meltdown for a couple of months now.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 1:44 pm

Speedy wrote:
I would not be any good if I was around him - discomfort makes me laugh. I want to use an emoticon, but am not sure what is appropriate here...

:lmao: ?

*What's with the spelling?!*

In tragedy there's so much comedy..

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 1:46 pm

Personally, I think it was staged. I kept getting a Will Farrell vibe.

cruxdust wrote:

That was mild? 8O

Gosh, that must have been humiliating for the guy, not to mention rather scary for the people around him.

I've never, ever had a meltdown like that, or even an actual tantrum like that... Most I've ever done during what may have been a meltdown is slammed a door, but then, I've always found somewhere to hide, whether I had permission or not.

cruxdust
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2007, 1:49 pm

jjstar wrote:

cruxdust wrote:

That was mild? 8O

Even so... I'm not sure it's the best example to use of a mild meltdown. Maybe moderate? I may not be very experienced in meldowns first-hand, but I've seen other aspies have all varieties of meltdowns, from much less severe than that, to more severe- and it doesn't really get more severe than advancing on people and trashing the place.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 2:11 pm

It's all subjective and relative, isn't it. There are variants of degrees of explosiveness in meltdown - compared to some I've witnessed - this guy's ~is~ mild.

cruxdust wrote:
jjstar wrote:

cruxdust wrote:

That was mild? 8O

Even so... I'm not sure it's the best example to use of a mild meltdown. Maybe moderate? I may not be very experienced in meldowns first-hand, but I've seen other aspies have all varieties of meltdowns, from much less severe than that, to more severe- and it doesn't really get more severe than advancing on people and trashing the place.

cruxdust
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2007, 2:14 pm

But to someone who doesn't know what a meltdown is, showing them that video is one way to strike terror into them.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 2:19 pm

Meltdowns are violent and messy, they cause damage and destruction and they kill a lot of people. There's no getting around that.

cruxdust wrote:
But to someone who doesn't know what a meltdown is, showing them that video is one way to strike terror into them.

cruxdust
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2007, 2:20 pm

jjstar wrote:
Meltdowns are violent and messy, they cause damage and destruction and they kill a lot of people. There's no getting around that.

cruxdust wrote:

Not all the time- many people have ways of controlling their meltdowns- and what do you mean, 'kill'?

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 2:25 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
It's like a seizure.

When you see me rocking on the spot and banging my head against stuff, there you go. Conversely, when you see me become "catatonic" and completely withdrawn, there you go again.

It's a different sensation to a panic attack due to anxiety, completely different; it's the worst feeling in the world [to me].

+1

This seems like a very good description to me. I think of it as a feedback loop happening in your head. A thought circles and circles and becomes more intense, and you can't move past it. The feeling becomes more and more intense and rationality shuts down completely. I tend not to have "explosive" meltdowns, I internalise, move somewhere quiet, where bad thoughts just consume me. It's horrible. Thankfully, I find them to be pretty rare things for me, but I know there are others who have them as a fairly common occurrence, and that's got to be hard.

A lot of people count simply being frustrated or angry or otherwise unable to cope as a meltdown. I'm not sure if that's correct - I think it's a very specific mode of being unable to cope, it's not like "normal" frustration or anger. I could just be misreading them, though.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 2:26 pm

cruxdust wrote:
jjstar wrote:

cruxdust wrote:

Not all the time- many people have ways of controlling their meltdowns- and what do you mean, 'kill'?

I think jjstar has run a step too far with the nuclear analogy, and is descriping a nuclear meltdown rather than an aspie. Which, er, isn't really relevant.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Jett
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2007, 2:54 pm

jjstar wrote:

cruxdust wrote:

LOL