Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 5:56 pm

Cursing outloud is good, especially while driving. I'm a bit of a roadrager, but saying a good "f**k you!" usually calms me down.

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2007, 6:17 pm

me too am struggling for an outlet, I look to my heroes: David Byrne - his outlet was playing quirky punk rock music and making strange noises when 'singing'. Andy Kaufman - liked messing with people's head when doing his anti-humour stand up routines, and also did some yelping with music performances.

I play badminton and look very odd on court this can lead to being self concious of how you look but if you're in the zone then it feels great

much love

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2007, 6:28 pm

Amittedly it takes a lot to get me even slightly angry, but when I do get angry, I find that music helps a lot. Finding a song that describes how I'm feeling and then singing along to it at the top of my voice helps me get my feelings off my chest, and the breathing required for singing helps me calm down. I also find that drumming helps me cope with frustration, although I must warn you that it isn't the best idea if you're a perfectionist at all. I tend to be, and so when I can't get my rhythm right, it just gets me even more annoyed! ;^^

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 8:23 pm

I would run if I could. Unfortunately, I was never a fast runner. Walking is good too. I find that time spent with my pets is good therapy for both anger and sadness. Hearing my cats purr is very soothing.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2007, 11:43 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
I have more trouble being on the receiving end of anger. I don't deal with it effectively and it makes me physically ill when someone, especially someone I love, or someone I respect, suddenly becomes angry or displeased with me and I don't understand why. Passive-aggressive anger sends me over the edge. I have never been allowed to express anger, have been punished for expressing anger and have held it in and consequently, suppressed anger has turned against me. I am working on it, but it's difficult. I mostly become angry when I am accused of doing something inappropriate or wrong that I didn't do. Or if I am falsely accused of having malicious motives for making simple mistakes, especially if it's something stupid.

Oh ME TOO ME TOO ME TOO. I tend to "overreact" (or so I'm told) to criticism. I think it depends on the type of criticism and what the intent behind it is (often there are ulterior motives, I find).

Unfortunately, I didn't realize how much anger I have until I became a parent. Believe me, that's a really bad time to discover this. :( It's hard to see other people (especially those you love dearly) pay for your "issues."

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2007, 11:46 pm

tantopat wrote:
Amittedly it takes a lot to get me even slightly angry, but when I do get angry, I find that music helps a lot. Finding a song that describes how I'm feeling and then singing along to it at the top of my voice helps me get my feelings off my chest, and the breathing required for singing helps me calm down. I also find that drumming helps me cope with frustration, although I must warn you that it isn't the best idea if you're a perfectionist at all. I tend to be, and so when I can't get my rhythm right, it just gets me even more annoyed! ;^^

Music has been my savior so many times, as well. When no one's around, I sing loudly throughout my house. I also recently bought a hand drum. I'd like to find the courage to sing in public again, but one step at a time. ;)

I totally get what you mean about being a perfectionist, though - sometimes it can be hard to get past. It's all about "letting go." ;)