Page 9 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

flibbit
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2018, 9:38 am

AngryAngryAngry wrote:
Hahahaha, you can rename it and redifine it.
The normies still won't understand, they don't care to understand. Their group will come to a consensus of what it is; which may be far from the Truth. That's how the NT's work, truth is far from important to them.

Better that you try to educate those that are willing to listen and curious to learn.

Truthfully, I haven't met too many scientists who could be considered "normies." :lol: Many of them are just auties/BAP in denial, LOL.

"There are surely other worlds than this -- other thoughts than the thoughts of the multitude -- other speculations than the speculations of the sophist. Who then shall call thy conduct into question? who blame thee for thy visionary hours, or denounce those occupations as the wasting away of life, which were but the overflowings of thine everlasting energies?" ~The Assignation, Edgar Allan Poe.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 9:58 am

The turtle syndrome. Because I like saying it and I love turtles, so it would make me happy to say that I have it :D

I do find it strange though that it only seems to be people with uncommon last names who gets to name these conditions! Neither Asperger nor Kanner are usual names. Weren't there any Hans Schmidt or Leo Jones that could have "invented" any of these? :P

Okay, serious response time. I honestly don't see any reason to rename it just because Hans Asperger didn't happen to be the person previously assumed. He was who he was and he accomplished what he did, and like anyone else he was a product of his time and circumstances beyond his control. It's easy to make judgement from a place of safety decades later. Few if any of us have been in such a situation ourselves. Whatever views he had and actions he took, he still did the studies he did. That's the end of the story for me personally.

If we were to rename every condition, disease and anything else named after someone who turned out to be less than saintly, we'd be forever changing the names. I think psychiatry especially already does that too much as it is, without giving them incentive to look for more.

I'd be content just to have DSM-IV back.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 10:45 am

When they haven't been officially stigmatized as mentally defective, people like us are usually known as geeks, or, if they make significant accomplishments, hackers, in the original sense of this word, not the 'security breaker' one.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 10:54 am

^^^ As far as I know, geeks and hackers did not exist when I was growing up. :D

I am content with Asperger's. Keep it simple. No need to change...just when I have gotten used to it. :D

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 11:12 am

MONKEY wrote:
:P Super-sexy sydrome.
:P Awesomeitis.

Lol no, I think the name is fine as it is.

Nah you got it :jester:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 11:19 am

B19 wrote:
I am 100% AS too. Comparison of AS people with zombies is offensive to me, and not a few others here too I would think. Consider yourself a zombie if and as you wish, that's your choice, your self perception perhaps, but applying it to AS people generally is something I think most members would baulk at..

I wasn't offended.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 5:47 am

I don't like it cause morons call it ass burgers ha ha very funny .

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 5:58 am

Some.thing to do with self loathing .

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 6:02 am

League_Girl wrote:
B19 wrote:
I am 100% AS too. Comparison of AS people with zombies is offensive to me, and not a few others here too I would think. Consider yourself a zombie if and as you wish, that's your choice, your self perception perhaps, but applying it to AS people generally is something I think most members would baulk at..

I wasn't offended.

The irony of it , your offended that I speak for most aspies , yet you claim most aspies would be offended by what I said , where are these polls ? How did you come to this conclusion ? Based on what ?

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 6:11 am

The irritating or pitiful syndrome . One autistic lady member here said the men at the meet ups ethier irritated her or aroused her self pity , if she where to meet me I would do both . Is it just the men whom are like this? Are aspe women also irritating or pitiful ? I did ask her this , no response .

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 8:02 am

Oops posted wrong thread.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 12:17 am

I've came across some apt descriptions of it over the years, life on hard mode is one that's always stuck, it's not like impossible mode or appalling mode like some things you can unfortunately become affected by, but it's hard enough especially when you never had the support or knowledge and live in the shadow of the discovery!

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2018, 1:51 am

Wing's syndrome. Lorna Wing named it Asperger's in the first place, so why not honour her by renaming it Wing's?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 2:03 am

Dataunit wrote:
Wing's syndrome. Lorna Wing named it Asperger's in the first place, so why not honour her by renaming it Wing's?
If it were to be renamed, this would be my favorite suggestion. Lorna Wing seems uncontroversial and unlike Kanner, Asperger and Sukhereva, no negative puns on the name.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TheDHead
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2018, 2:48 am

I'm pretty shure after reading a lot in this forum, that the last thing people needs are labels...
Maybe sometimes you don't feel things like others do, or you can't talk to someone like others do, and sometimes it gets really hard, get a job, find anything to talk with a person you don't know anything about, stay calm in a place with a lot of noise, or lights or lots people, and all together...

But when I read that you notice that you don't have certain skills, you can't let that a theorically label let you without even trying, In fact, you should try it more, It's hard, and sometimes full of pain, people are going to judge you and say things that makes you think "maybe they're right", but you shouldn't care about that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 2:52 am

Sukhareva is only a bad pun in the one small population language of Norwejian.

Aspergers is a bad pun in the large population American dialect of English.

But "Wings syndrome" certainly has a nice ring to it. Sounds .. whimsical!

So yeah, I could go for that.

That would make me a..."Winger".

Like...actress Debra Winger' whom I always liked.