Is Asperger's Really More Common in Boys than Girls?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 4:47 am

I personally think that the number of boys and girls with Asperger's is the same. I just believe that in boys it is more disruptive and noticable. Boys tend to more aggressive and so the traits get more attention from educators.

Also, Autism tends to magnify male traits. A woman acting more male is OK and considered acceptable in today's society. A male acting more male is further out of the normal behavior spectrum of behavior and sticks out more.

Am I alone in this belief?

Best,

Idaho Aspie
www.AllThingsAspergers.com

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2008, 4:51 am

I've read a few articles saying basically what you said--it shows up differently in girls and not as easily detected.

Another curious question would be do women with AS get along better with guys? It's true for me. Not necessarily true for all, but maybe most--who knows. hmmm.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 8:29 am

Well, if you look around this section of the board you'll see a poll asking if people are male or female. At the time I placed my vote males outnumbered females 2:1.

Ed Almos

Cordelia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2008, 8:45 am

I think there's an equal amount; but it's hard to tell in girls.

Since it doesn't cause us a problem socially; we (girls) don't try to identify it as a problem.

For men, it causes you guys to have problems with girlfriends and relating to other people...which can be detrimental to your well-being. As such, I think it's wonderful that there are so many more guys on this site than girls. It means you guys are seeking both an understanding a method to vent your frustration.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 8:55 am

It's all theories that postulate it's just as prevalent in females as it is in males. Clinically, the manifestation of the disorder should be the same, i.e., social impairment and narrow/focused interests; males are known to be more aggressive than females, and the theory states that this is why males are picked up to a greater extent than females (disruption in the classroom for example).

Autism is usually picked up without too many people being missed, and males outnumber females there 5 to 1. If Asperger's equates to "mild" autism, one can say that the ratio will transpose over Asperger's just the same.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:13 am

I think boys are more likely to get diagnosed, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're more in numbers.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:24 am

IdahoAspie wrote:
I personally think that the number of boys and girls with Asperger's is the same. I just believe that in boys it is more disruptive and noticable. Boys tend to more aggressive and so the traits get more attention from educators.

Also, Autism tends to magnify male traits. A woman acting more male is OK and considered acceptable in today's society. A male acting more male is further out of the normal behavior spectrum of behavior and sticks out more.

Am I alone in this belief?

Best,

Idaho Aspie

Am disagree with the common stereotype that girls with aspergers are the quiet,less obviously AS ones,and boy aspies are obvious AS and disruptive,as not all girls/boys have it the same way.
Am had to move from previous residential home,due to the extremely disruptive and weakness attacking nature of an aspie lady there,apparently she was worse when she was younger as well.

edal,
unless it specifically asked for only aspies,it's not a good show[? can't think of a better word] of males vs females with AS,as not all WPers have aspergers [eg,ADHD,on the spectrum but not diagnoseable, NT, Kanner/classic autism,PDDNOS,not sure what label it is....].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:42 am

Logically, there will be about the SAME number of both, but female brains are structured differently, and females have less need of the areas where most autistics are weak. Females are almost EXPECTED to have some sensitivity problems, problems with math, spatial skill problems, and distinct preferences and requirements. They may also be treated better to prevent such things.

So I think it is the same number, but most females just figure "girls will be girls" to change a popular saying of boys.

BTW if a boy seems like a girl, it is wierd, etc... If a girl seems like a boy, it is usually FINE as long as it doesn't get to where she is trying to appear to be one like 100% of the time.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 10:42 am

I read a scientific article that is stating aspergers in girls run through different nerve pathways, may have a different gene sequence, things of that nature.

I hope to find the article again someday.

I personally feel it is equal as well, and that syptoms in boys are outward and in girls are more interalized and thus not noticed for what they are.

I don't think it is any more or less damaging to either gender's experience in life.
I do think boys get the worse side of the treatment. Since they are more noticeable outsiders and CARING adults are most likely to take assertive action on something they do not themselves understand.

Bunch of monkeys in a bucket.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 11:13 am

I've seen it somewhere... (in Atwood maybe?) that female Aspie's aren't as visible because a group of boys tend to segregate the "weird one' and a group of girls will have some who will "nurture" the weird one by taking her "under their wing". I think the idea was girls will often get support from an NT that boys don't, in learning to recognize some social signals. We've all seen girls who were ostracized as well, but I think the basic idea was valid.

In my experience, female Aspie's tend to be much more social than males, much less aggressive, and tend to demonstrate their Asperger's by engaging in horrible relationships with men poorly suited to them, one after the other. They are also often victims of assault, such as date rape, because they don't recognize the danger signs NT females do.

I think we're roughly equal in the population, but that something on the "X" chromosome helps mask some of the more obvious aspects. Which would explain why males, with a "Y" chromosome are more easily diagnosed.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 12:28 pm

it could be, to an extent, a symptom of recent psychiatric trends. There's a book called 'the War against Boys', which postulates that boys are seen as a 'problem' in general, and are medicated at school to a far greater degree than girls, for a host of A's, H's, and D's. (hows that for a run on sentence?..;)

This is hardly new, medicating kids goes back at least to the 19th Century; when laudanum (a mix of alcohol and opium) was used to keep kids quiet. Instead, it made them laudanum addicts.

Also, as each 'new' symptom is diagnosed and added to the 'book' (the index psychiatrists use, can't remember the name), there's likely a tendency to 'overdiagnose', for whatever reasons.

In a few years, more accurate data should be available. I really don't know, I've always thought it was a boys-only thing (which is why this place is so instructive).

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 8:31 pm

AspieDave wrote:
I've seen it somewhere... (in Atwood maybe?) that female Aspie's aren't as visible because a group of boys tend to segregate the "weird one' and a group of girls will have some who will "nurture" the weird one by taking her "under their wing". I think the idea was girls will often get support from an NT that boys don't, in learning to recognize some social signals. We've all seen girls who were ostracized as well, but I think the basic idea was valid.

In my experience, female Aspie's tend to be much more social than males, much less aggressive, and tend to demonstrate their Asperger's by engaging in horrible relationships with men poorly suited to them, one after the other. They are also often victims of assault, such as date rape, because they don't recognize the danger signs NT females do.

I think we're roughly equal in the population, but that something on the "X" chromosome helps mask some of the more obvious aspects. Which would explain why males, with a "Y" chromosome are more easily diagnosed.

Boy, that description of a woman's relationship with men really closely describes a close relative of mine.

Best,

Idaho Aspie

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 8:44 pm

Well, some behaviour in male autistics is ACCEPTED and even EXPECTED in females. Things like certain desires, verbal skills, emotions, meltdowns. Also, females are SUPPOSED to have almost like one brain, with abilities diffused on both sides. So certain problems wouldn't be as likely to be apparent anyway. I think those two things could explain almost all of the difference.

hhyyjj163
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2008, 9:47 pm

women has two x gene to protect them
x gene is stabilization
but man is one x gene and one y gene

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2008, 6:04 am

I think the proportion of AS girls to NT girls could be equal to the proportion of AS boys to NT boys, but I don't think the number of AS girls could be equal to the number of AS boys.