Did it occur to you maybe you're Schizoid and not an Aspie?

Page 3 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 8:00 pm

Sure - you should see my label collection - it keeps on growing
and growing
and growing

must be a pile at least 7 feet high!

Let's all get DSM happy!

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 8:44 pm

Quote:
I have at times considered a career as a psychologist, a career which could very well include me diagnosing these disorders, and I think it's pretty ridiculous to think that I would necessarily think that I am "better than everyone else" and that my patients are "inferior or unacceptable."

If you tell someone they have a personality disorder, you are telling them that there is something wrong with them. Presumably, your personality isn't considered disordered so you are saying that your personality is better than their personality. That makes your personality superior to their and their personality inferior to yours.

Quote:
Sometimes it helps for people to have these labels, at least for a little while, so that they can better understand their behavior and how to make themselves happier.

How would giving someone a label make them happier? Would you like it if I labeled you and told you that you had a personality disorder? People already know about their personality. Providing a label for someone's behavior is pointless. I would be very offended if you labeled my personality a disorder.

Quote:
If they were happy, then they probably wouldn't go to the shrink in the first place. I see your point that it is frustrating to label any eccentric behavior as a disorder, but I think the intentions for these labels are good.

Some schools force children to get a psychiatric evaluation. What good comes from being told there's something wrong with you because you act different?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 8:46 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
You also mention people with schizoid personality disorder do not typically have nonverbal communication deficits, which I have in spades, nor do they tend towards obsessive interests, which I do tend towards. Really, people with SPD have no social desires; people with AS have trouble with social interaction. Big difference.

What is really, really funny, is I used to know someone who was going into psychology. (She's now a psychologist and apparently claims to have expertise in the area of autism, heaven help her clients if she hasn't learned since then.) She insisted over and over again that my brother had no sign of AS, none whatsoever, that he was clearly and obviously schizoid.

I remember her citing (aside from his bad social skills), his obsessiveness and his "tendency to have collections of little objects" as being things in favor of "schizoid" instead of "AS". Which baffles me to this day.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 8:54 pm

anbuend wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
You also mention people with schizoid personality disorder do not typically have nonverbal communication deficits, which I have in spades, nor do they tend towards obsessive interests, which I do tend towards. Really, people with SPD have no social desires; people with AS have trouble with social interaction. Big difference.

What is really, really funny, is I used to know someone who was going into psychology. (She's now a psychologist and apparently claims to have expertise in the area of autism, heaven help her clients if she hasn't learned since then.) She insisted over and over again that my brother had no sign of AS, none whatsoever, that he was clearly and obviously schizoid.

I remember her citing (aside from his bad social skills), his obsessiveness and his "tendency to have collections of little objects" as being things in favor of "schizoid" instead of "AS". Which baffles me to this day.

Since when are psychology majors known to be the sharpest tools in the shed?

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2007, 8:59 pm

My major is psychology. I know some people have negative feelings about it, but I find it really interesting. I certainly don't feel in any way superior to others, I have as many problems as anyone else.

becca423b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2007, 9:22 pm

persons who are schizoid do not desire relationships, and do not take pleasure in relationships, wheras i believe many aspies do. furthermore, persons with schizoid often have magical thinking or cognitive disruptions, and i would say most AS people are logical and fairly smart.

becca423b

22 Dec 2007, 9:26 pm

another difference is that i think personality disorders are supposed to appear in adolescence, whereas developmental disorders appear much earlier, as a toddler. most diagnosis of developmental disorders are done in children, after all, but i believe personality disorders must be done in adolescents or adults. (for example, "magical thinking" is a normal part of being a child, but in an adult is indicative of schizoid personality disorder)

etre_creatif

22 Dec 2007, 9:48 pm

They're pretty different things, why was this brought up?

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

22 Dec 2007, 9:51 pm

becca423b wrote:
persons who are schizoid do not desire relationships, and do not take pleasure in relationships, wheras i believe many aspies do. furthermore, persons with schizoid often have magical thinking or cognitive disruptions, and i would say most AS people are logical and fairly smart.

another difference is that i think personality disorders are supposed to appear in adolescence, whereas developmental disorders appear much earlier, as a toddler. most diagnosis of developmental disorders are done in children, after all, but i believe personality disorders must be done in adolescents or adults. (for example, "magical thinking" is a normal part of being a child, but in an adult is indicative of schizoid personality disorder)

Deliciously illustrative. I have a strong desire for and take great pleasure in relationships; therefore I cannot be schizoid. I constantly experience magical thinking, and often cognitive disruptions; therefore I cannot be Asperger's; incidentally, I am also very smart and logical (though I feel compelled to point out that intelligence is not necessarily related to either Asperger's or schizoidism). And, icing on the cake, I displayed certain developmental "defects" during childhood; and I developed more as an adult.

Logical culmination of the various diagnostic criteria: I cannot exist.

Good fortune,

- Icarus defies all attempts at analysis and categorization...

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 10:00 pm

If you're really concerned about labels note that for both the ICD-10 and the DSM-IV-TR, you only need to have at least four of the 7-9 criteria mentioned. If four match and the other five are complete opposites, then you are still considered as having that "disorder".

becca423b

22 Dec 2007, 10:19 pm

[quote="Icarus_Falling

Logical culmination of the various diagnostic criteria: I cannot exist.

Good fortune,

- Icarus defies all attempts at analysis and categorization...[/quote]

hmm.....have they come up with a marketable drug for nonexistance yet? maybe i could try it as i do not have a proper label either

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 10:23 pm

Schizotypal personality disorder is one of the possible alternative diagnoses considered when I was diagnosed with Asperger's. However, in late months I have begun to exhibit extreme psychotic symptoms, which would suggest my condition had progressed into actual schizophrenia, an illness to which Schizotypal disorder is considered to be premorbid.

It would be difficult for me to accurately self-diagnose myself now that I am on anti-psychotics, although my behaviour is quite Schizoid. I have very little interest in social relations, and I usually abandon friendships through disinterest or stress. This could, however, simply be a reaction to the stress of my recent breakdowns, as I have read of similar reactions of schizophrenics during their recovery from a psychosis (loss of interest in friends, increased propensity towards solitary activity).

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Dec 2007, 10:32 pm

just for a clearification, schizotypal and schiziod are not the same things

one is related to schizophrenia and schiziod is not

CrushedPentagon
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2007, 11:02 pm

Yes.

There are some things about me that can be explained by schizoid PD and not by Asperger's, and other things that can be explained by Asperger's and not schizoid.

To make matters even more complicated, even though schizoid is supposed to come later and not from early childhood, some of the criteria were better met when I was very young than they would be today:

Quote:
1.Emotional coldness, detachment or reduced affection.
2.Limited capacity to express either positive or negative emotions towards others.

and others that I've had all my life:
Quote:
7.Indifference to social norms and conventions.
8.Preoccupation with fantasy and introspection.
9.Lack of desire for sexual experiences with another person.

In the end, it's just a label, but it is interesting to know there are other people out there with the same attributes. There must be, if they have a name for it!

Quote:
- Icarus defies all attempts at analysis and categorization...

Me too. Maybe we need a category of people who cannot be catgegorized. :wink:

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2007, 11:17 pm

The following is from, "The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th Revision" (ICD-10):

-----------------
F84.5 Asperger's syndrome
A disorder of uncertain nosological validity, characterized by the same type of qualitative abnormalities of reciprocal social interaction that typify autism, together with a restricted, stereotyped, repetitive repertoire of interests and activities. It differs from autism primarily in the fact that there is no general delay or retardation in language or in cognitive development. This disorder is often associated with marked clumsiness. There is a strong tendency for the abnormalities to persist into adolescence and adult life. Psychotic episodes occasionally occur in early adult life.
Autistic psychopathy
Schizoid disorder of childhood
------------------

Autistic psychopathy is what Asperger called Asperger's syndrome. Schizoid disorder of childhood is also another name for Asperger's syndrome.

Edit: Here is the link for the above:

http://www.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online/?gf80.htm+f845

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Last edited by nominalist on 22 Dec 2007, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 11:19 pm

richardbenson wrote:
just for a clearification, schizotypal and schiziod are not the same things

one is related to schizophrenia and schiziod is not

I neglected to check, but yes, I suspected it wasn't; although there are overlaps in the diagnosis criteria.