Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ciounoi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2007, 11:40 am

I've found a few posts that talk about Aspies feeling "childlike" or having young interests. Are ASDers often "late bloomers", then?

I'm 22, but still feel like a kid... I would act like a kid if it didn't realize that it makes me look weird and very pedophilic. ><

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 11:54 am

Short answer is, yup.

Hell I was refused booze even when I showed proof of age for many years. Even got carded in Mexico back in the early 70's, s**t I was 20, I didn't even think they had a drinking age. So not only was I a late bloomer emotionally in a few ways, I was in appearance too.

Go for what you feel. To keep yourself bottled up may come out in very bad ways later. Yeah you have to keep a lid on it sometimes, especially when it comes to kids. But to deny yourself kid things to do? Just choose your places to let it out. Be happy, the world has a way of doing the other side of the coin more then enough.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 12:03 pm

People never fail to gape at me when I tell them I am 32.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 12:11 pm

Developmentally, I feel like I'm on-par with most 30-somethings. I feel like most 30-somethings on this site are on-par with teenagers. I feel like some of the teenagers are on-par with babies.

- Emerson

ciounoi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2007, 12:13 pm

MrMark wrote:
Developmentally, I feel like I'm on-par with most 30-somethings. I feel like most 30-somethings on this site are on-par with teenagers. I feel like some of the teenagers are on-par with babies.

LOL :lol:

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 12:33 pm

MrMark wrote:

WAAAAAH!

I was a late bloomer. I feel like lately, I've been becoming less emotionally mature, but I'm finally maturing physically.

sodarktheshadows
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2007, 12:33 pm

i feel sometimes like i can relate better to people that are younger than me...like mrmark said, people in their 30's on par with teenagers doesn't seem too far off. i find that i can relate better to my younger cousins who are like 10-15 years younger than me (mid teens to early twenties) than i do to those who are closer to my own age or older. i even have a difficult time with my brothers as they constantly tell me how immature i am.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 12:51 pm

Well, on the plus side, after years of being told I looked 13, now people are starting to say 16.

Might I add that I'm 23?

I get along well with small children and teenagers. If a small child comes into a room where I am, there is a huge chance that they will just automatically come over to me and start interacting. Maybe it's because they recognize safety or realness in me. I don't know. It's odd, but I don't mind it. That's why I'm planning on working with kids someday on the spectrum (I'm a music therapy grad student).

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 12:56 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
People never fail to gape at me when I tell them I am 32.

::gapes::

I've seen your pictures, I thought you were around my age! You look so young!

ciounoi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2007, 1:14 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
Well, on the plus side, after years of being told I looked 13, now people are starting to say 16.

Might I add that I'm 23?

Me too! Of course, I'm also short, wear sweatpants a lot, and like to wear pigtails, so I'm probably furthering the misconception. :lol:

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 1:18 pm

ciounoi wrote:
lastcrazyhorn wrote:

Might I add that I'm 23?

Me too! Of course, I'm also short, wear sweatpants a lot, and like to wear pigtails, so I'm probably furthering the misconception. :lol:

I don't like to wear traditional "girl" clothes because I find that they are often too revealing, too uncomfortable or generally too ugly (in my opinion). So that probably adds to it too.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

ciounoi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2007, 1:24 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
I don't like to wear traditional "girl" clothes because I find that they are often too revealing, too uncomfortable or generally too ugly (in my opinion). So that probably adds to it too.

I hear ya... although I've recently started getting into shopping a bit more. :-) Although I still tend to wear jeans and a t-shirt every day.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Dec 2007, 1:30 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:

I find lots of women's fashions today to be hideous. Often I will look for stuff like flannel shirts or sturdy sandals in the men's section of the store.

I had this happen for a long, long time. Got carded up to my thirties. Once had a teacher tell my daughter to bring her mother in for a conference, and not her big sister. 8O Not sure just what it is. Maybe having a short stature and petite build? Maybe an expression on my face that looks naive? Don't know.

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2007, 1:40 pm

My interests have changed minimally as I have gotten older, so I have a lot of interests/preferences/likes associated more with young childhood. I also look young and don't feel like I really get "older."

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Dec 2007, 1:44 pm

I've started suddenly looking AT LEAST my age, maybe more, in the last 2-3 years.
But before that usually looked much younger than my age.
For instance at age 32 people where i worked for 3 months thought i was 20. Or younger. And so on.

I think it had something to do with the way i thought and felt about the world. A perpetually "innocent" sort of searching for the truth. Like children asking questions all the time, and often embarrassingly for parents/adults, refusing to accept usual "compromises" and cover-ups, and silences etc .

Or something.
Not having , or taking on, any serious responsibilities until age 36 when had son. ?
Don't know but yes it was often remarked on.

My sister, 18 months younger than me, has almost always been seen as the older of us two, from very early on.

Recently been thinking it's part of the difficulty society has with us, our being "age-queer", because society divides people up by age, particularly into children and adults. And we mess that up!! Not just when "adult" but as "children" aswell by being "too adult" ( little professorish!)
Hence my current signature.

8)

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2007, 1:56 pm

I always say when my mom gets upset at me and says aren't you 17 or something like that I go no I am 4 because I do feel like that I guess but I also don't want to act my age but my mom says I act like I am 12 and even if I tried to act 17 I'd act like I was 15 or 16 because Asperger's is A developmental delay.