Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 4:58 pm

I'm studying pharmacology in University at the moment and I get disabled students allowance from the government. They provided me with a lot of software and a support worker, among many other things.

I have recently received training in Dragon 11 speech to text software. It is fantastic! It is so much easier than typing! Especially at my medication gives me cramps in my hands and makes me unable to type more than 15 min or so without my performance dramatically decreasing.

Has anyone else use software like this? Because I have the latest version, it is rather accurate. Although I have to talk quite pedantically.

Feedback appreciated.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 5:02 pm

I have it (I get something similar to the allowance you do) but I haven't used it yet. I've been off school for a while for break and haven't really needed to.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 5:17 pm

astaut wrote:
I have it (I get something similar to the allowance you do) but I haven't used it yet. I've been off school for a while for break and haven't really needed to.

Yeah, I'm from London so it will be called something different to what yours is. You should try it, it's quite interesting to use and is far easier than typing. Good luck.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 7:00 pm

I have yet to try Dragon Dictate but I did see a very impressive demonstration of it.
When i was at Uni I did get a copy of IBM Via-Voice, I could have and would probably been better of getting Dragon but for years before I had been using IBM Voice Type - which I still use but is Very primitive. The problem I had with the newer software is bit uses grammar to constrain the words it recognises the upshot being if it has got it wrong it is hard to see that it has whereas the primitive software I use will produce complete nonsense I can spot immediately.
This was the cause of much distress when after submitting my coursework I found it had inserted the word 'not' in a statement reversing the meaning and losing me marks :(

If you do get on with Dragon dictate well, let me know as I really must get some more modern software for the next machine I build.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 1:45 pm

Iceb, that's annoying. I've heard of IBM ViaVoice, apparently its not good at all. Dragon 11 is rather good, so I recommend it for you.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 12:15 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Iceb, that's annoying. I've heard of IBM ViaVoice, apparently its not good at all. Dragon 11 is rather good, so I recommend it for you.

When I'm rich enough to buy some new software I will :)

Thank you.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 12:48 pm

I've actually been looking for some software that does the opposite. Sometimes with my ADHD I have issues keeping my mind on what I'm reading, so text-to-speech software can add another channel of input--read and listen at the same time. I've yet to find something that's easy to understand, though.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2011, 3:56 am

Callista wrote:
I've actually been looking for some software that does the opposite. Sometimes with my ADHD I have issues keeping my mind on what I'm reading, so text-to-speech software can add another channel of input--read and listen at the same time. I've yet to find something that's easy to understand, though.

I use Natural Reader and Texthelp Read and Write (Texthelp can read PDF documents out loud whereas Natural Reader can't). It is indispensable as I have concentration problems too.