Do You Suspect Your Parent(s) Have AS ?

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

crazyllama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2007, 2:27 pm

Do any of you suspect that your Parent(s) have AS but just don't know it ?

busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Dec 2007, 2:38 pm

I suspect my dad had it. Looking back on the things he did and what my mother told me...yup!

My mother does not have it. She is so sterotypically NT.

someguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2007, 2:40 pm

I'm almost positive one of mine do and I'm sure they don't know. I'm thinking at this point it's not really my place to point it out however.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 2:46 pm

I don't know my father (nor anybody of that branch of my family) but when I asked my mother what kind of man he was, from all those things she told me I don't have any presumptions to think he could have it. According to her he was full of energy, cheerful and nothing like me. Pretty normal guy. My mother is very NT - always worried what others can think about her, full of superstitions and prejudices, characterized by lack of life passions, not very clever, zero problems with communication with others - she doesn't have many friends and never invites people to our house (because she's embarrased I may behave in an inapropriate way) but she likes being among people.

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2007, 3:07 pm

My dad died long ago so I don't know but he might have since I think my mom says he's very quiet and lack emotions. But I'm pretty sure my mom doesn't have it.

ProtossX
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2007, 3:34 pm

Nobody in my family show any signs of it at all my dad is hugely NT a polar opposite of me and my mom is very NT too

my moms parents both very NT, my Dad's im not sure his mom is kinda a cat lady (possibly my parents don't think so tho) she's old and his dad died before I was born but he seems very likely NOT NT

I have no clue where it came from in my family and im the most oddball person of all my cousin's an family

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 3:42 pm

I think that both of my parents have AS. My dad would never admit it. My mom might accept that she has AS, but she would become extremely obsessive about it. She would start calling me every day to ask questions about it. She would send me lots of books and articles. Her attitude towards it would be very emotional, which would frighten me. She might also start frequenting these forums, and reading all of my posts, which might not be a good thing for either of us.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 3:55 pm

My mom definitely has AS traits, but not enough.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 4:23 pm

Dad has it,but knows it and isn't bothered about getting diagnosed.
It's quite an autie and aspie filled family,am a kanner autie,sister is 'on the spectrum' with extra bits like synthaesia,uncle [dads brother] is an aspie,dads brothers' son is a kanner autie.
Although mum [not ASD] says she thinks her sister has aspergers,and also her son,she has suspected both of them having something "wrong" for years but didn't know name for it.

Dad and his brother were undiagnosed as they are in their sixties,born and lived most of his life on a farm in Tipperary/Ireland,he said anything his dad thought he did wrong was smacked out of him with his belt or stick.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Dec 2007, 4:29 pm

yes.

xx Dan Monster

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 4:34 pm

My father is virtually friendless, very introverted person, and can come off as being extremely insensitive. He has a knack for ruining all his friendships and falling out with relatives on his side of the family.

My mother is awkward, when I see her interacting with other people things she does just seem wrong. She talks about having felt very isolated when she was younger.

They have traits then, but I don't know if either of them truly have aspergers. Somehow they both manage to come off a lot more normal than me despite everything, they don't have the same total inability to understand others motives and thoughts. They are more in touch with the world. Neither of them have been quite as 'troubled' as me.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Dec 2007, 5:20 pm

I suspect my dad has it. In fact, he himself suspects he has it. My mom has something--I don't know WHAT it is.

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2007, 5:50 pm

My Dad actually does have A.S. and My Mom is N.T. except I think she has dislexia or discalcula like I do.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2007, 5:56 pm

I am only 90% certain that I "have AS," whereas I am 100% certain that my mom does. Her case is actually quite extreme, perhaps enough to warrant a high-functioning autistic diagnosis, especially considering she didn't speak until the age of four.

My dad has some AS characteristics... obsessive interests, detachment, lack of empathy. He's very much a loner. But, I can't imagine he would be diagnosed with AS because it doesn't affect his life at all. He comes across as very normal, if slightly awkward. My mom, on the other hand comes across as... well, I won't go there.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 6:27 pm

I think my mother shows signs of AS,despite being the opposite of me.
She talks too much,I don't talk enough.She makes eye contact but it's
so intense and fixed that it can feel invasive and not natural.
I used to look on my parents as benchmarks on how to behave but now
I realise that nobody is flawless.It doesn't mean I love them any less.

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2007, 6:37 pm

My dad, though it was never official.