Why are Many with AS so passive and unwilling to fight back?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 12:11 pm

purplesky wrote:
sarahstilettos wrote:
purplesky wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Don't give in to provocations. It's exactly what they want you to do.

Actually they would love for us to obey them by not defending ourselves. They get off on abusing the innocent; there is nothing that pisses them off more than running into a person that can use his or her mind, body, and emotions to win a battle. This person has no form of morality; you must understand the objective of the fight is to win at all costs. I don't care if it pisses them off as my objective IS in fact, to piss them off. What they want us to do is to be stereotypical weaklings who don't take what they want in life.

Who are "they"??? Who are these people you are talking about?

"They" include bullies,provocateurs, and as*holes of the highest degree. I also include anyone who wants to sabatoge our success. Why should we have to take abuse?

See, I normally find that my moment for feeling victorious comes later but is more satisfying than winning a fight. Like seeing the girl who terrorised me at college walking down the road pushing a pram and looking miserable. Har, har, har.

purplesky
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2008, 12:15 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
purplesky wrote:
deadeyexx wrote:
It's a learned characteristic. People with AS tend to be social outcasts, and when fighting back against someone who is not, it never turns out good.

I've always been strong & able to win most fights physically. However, even if you do win, it doesn't make anyone like you better. It just draws attention to you. This leads to more fights until someone eventually beats you & now you've got a whole bunch of people who didn't know who you were before giving you crap like the first person you beat up did.

That was my experience through middle school, and it conditioned me to back down whenever possible. I believe people with AS don't fight back not because they're scared, weak, or wrong, but because it's almost impossible for us to win the battle socially.

I would like to say, I want to congratulate you on proving to the world that no one can push you around. I would also like to say that you don't neccessarily need your peers to believe you are correct; you only need the authorities to believe it. As we Aspies are quite blessed with the ability to imitate; we can be MORE likely to pull it off. Although I am not suggesting it, we CAN get the aggressor in serious trouble if we are great storytellers and can put up a facade of being seriously hurt.

That doesn't work if you're at a school that idolizes the jocks and the preps. I was bleeding one time after a girl attacked me and I still got all the blame.

In that case you should have gone to a good lawyer and sued the school. With corrupt institutions we must aim for their financial failure.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 12:16 pm

sarahstilettos wrote:
purplesky wrote:
sarahstilettos wrote:
purplesky wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

Actually they would love for us to obey them by not defending ourselves. They get off on abusing the innocent; there is nothing that pisses them off more than running into a person that can use his or her mind, body, and emotions to win a battle. This person has no form of morality; you must understand the objective of the fight is to win at all costs. I don't care if it pisses them off as my objective IS in fact, to piss them off. What they want us to do is to be stereotypical weaklings who don't take what they want in life.

"They" include bullies,provocateurs, and as*holes of the highest degree. I also include anyone who wants to sabatoge our success. Why should we have to take abuse?

See, I normally find that my moment for feeling victorious comes later but is more satisfying than winning a fight. Like seeing the girl who terrorised me at college walking down the road pushing a pram and looking miserable. Har, har, har.

And now you know why I believe in karma. :)

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

purplesky

07 Jan 2008, 12:16 pm

sarahstilettos wrote:
purplesky wrote:
sarahstilettos wrote:
purplesky wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

Now THAT is the best revenge. Karma is a b***h ain't it? 8)

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 12:18 pm

I'm NT. I survived elementary and middle school in a bad neighborhood by recognizing potential threats and steering clear of them. If all else failed, I ran away. I never got beat up or in trouble for fighting. If that makes me a coward, I'm okay with that.

Today, as a middle-aged woman, fighting doesn't come up. If some other woman makes me angry, I just walk away from her. Life is too short to get into arguments with other people. I'm trying to teach my son the same lesson....unfortunately, he doesn't know how to back down and I've had to rescue him several times from getting beat down.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 12:20 pm

purplesky wrote:
lastcrazyhorn wrote:
purplesky wrote:
deadeyexx wrote:
It's a learned characteristic. People with AS tend to be social outcasts, and when fighting back against someone who is not, it never turns out good.

I've always been strong & able to win most fights physically. However, even if you do win, it doesn't make anyone like you better. It just draws attention to you. This leads to more fights until someone eventually beats you & now you've got a whole bunch of people who didn't know who you were before giving you crap like the first person you beat up did.

That was my experience through middle school, and it conditioned me to back down whenever possible. I believe people with AS don't fight back not because they're scared, weak, or wrong, but because it's almost impossible for us to win the battle socially.

I would like to say, I want to congratulate you on proving to the world that no one can push you around. I would also like to say that you don't neccessarily need your peers to believe you are correct; you only need the authorities to believe it. As we Aspies are quite blessed with the ability to imitate; we can be MORE likely to pull it off. Although I am not suggesting it, we CAN get the aggressor in serious trouble if we are great storytellers and can put up a facade of being seriously hurt.

That doesn't work if you're at a school that idolizes the jocks and the preps. I was bleeding one time after a girl attacked me and I still got all the blame.

In that case you should have gone to a good lawyer and sued the school. With corrupt institutions we must aim for their financial failure.

I didn't have any witnesses that would have corroborated my side of the story. This kid's parents were influential members of the community who could trace their family line back 7 generations in the town. My mom was a single mother who had just moved to the area a scant 3 years prior.

It was over before it began.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 12:49 pm

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
purplesky wrote:
lastcrazyhorn wrote:
purplesky wrote:
deadeyexx wrote:

I didn't have any witnesses that would have corroborated my side of the story. This kid's parents were influential members of the community who could trace their family line back 7 generations in the town. My mom was a single mother who had just moved to the area a scant 3 years prior.

It was over before it began.

So, typical. This is my point exactly, as all the advantages in the world (being strong, right, articulate, smart) don't amount to anything if you're not favored. Any confrontation boils down to a simple popularity contest, and the more popular person in some way will always come out on top.

07 Jan 2008, 2:34 pm

Yeah fight back physically and get arrested for it. Doesn't matter if you're the victim or not. Some laws are messed up. Especially a juvenile starts hitting you and you have no way to escape or get away because he has you trapped, push him away and you're arrested because the defendant was underage. That happened with my boyfriend when he was about 20 because his cousin was 17 even though he be 18 the next day but they still had to try him as juvenile because he was still 17. But luckily the charges were dropped when his teachers said what a great student he is.

You're not allowed to defend yourself against a juvenile to get them off you and you can't get them off assertively because they're the size of an adult.

What happens if a 16 year old tries to rape a 25 year old and he is able to hold her town and the lady isn't strong enough to push him away, she can't defend herself or she get charged for it because the kid is underage. But when juveniles kill grownups or rape them, they get charged for it, but when grown ups defend themselves against them, they get charged for it instead. Something needs to be done about that. Change the law about it. Grownups will have rights to defend themselves if the juvenile is the size of an adult. Yes children can be bigger than some adults. I am bigger than some adults and have been since I was 12 years old. I was taller and bigger and some grow ups are petite and small meaning thinner than me. My 17 year old brother is bigger than me. Has been since he was 12. He's a size of a man, not a boy.

I don't have problems with strangers. I have never been stopped and get beat up or picked on.

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2008, 2:51 pm

I find this topic absurd. I am pretty comfortable with myself that if I need to fight I can pretty much take care of myself. The only hesitant to such a confrontation would be the way I think. I over analyze situations: Do I really want to fight? Will the fight end all provocations? Will I in turn have others come after me? Will I be expelled, sued, jailed? What will I gain? ego?

That is why I don't fight. It would take plenty to get me angry enough to fight, and I really don't like myself when I'm angry. Even when I was in competitions, every time I scored a point I would ask "Are you alright? Was that O.k.?" which, sadly, irritated the other person. Ha

I guess it might be attributed to OCD??

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 3:40 pm

Absurd topic? I completely disagree!

Reading through this topic, I see that most don't like physical confrontation even though some have engaged in it. Understandable.

"Fighting back" however doesn't just include physical. What Anbuend said is a great example. There are ways to fight without physicality - and she did it despite the pitfalls because she knew what was right, and pursued it through to the end.

I'm the same.

For two years I was stalked on the Internet by a teenage bully in South Australia. No matter what I tried to keep him away from my forum, he and an accomplice kept showing up. He also showed up on other forums that I'd joined, abusing and threatening me.

I took the matter to court, and got a restraining order against him. His refusal to attend helped the order go through. Trouble was the order only worked on the Net. When I was next in South Australia, he tried to physically stalk me - again with an accomplice (a different one this time). I didn't get the order registered in SA, so I wasted no time doing that. This time he showed up in court - with his mum. And he successfully pissed off the magistrate (I loved that) with constant questions. And I had to stop myself from laughing out loud when his mum tried to criticise my part in the whole episode only to be shut up. If you wanted to address that, lady, you had to be at the original hearing!

It comes in handy when one knows how to use the legal system. It isn't easy, but I've learnt a lot. It can be a tedious process.

I prefer to use the legal system if pushed that far. At the moment I have options on another person, but that's proving tougher because I've been pushed up to a higher court as the troublemaker is not in Australia. And domestic issues are also getting in the way! It's a court I have no experience with, and buying the Orders that the Supreme Court goes by is expensive! I'm hoping to use my local member of Parliament in Victoria to see if I can get a free copy.

In general, I'd like to see all Aspies band together and fight (non physically) for the right to be ourselves. We have that right. The trouble is that - as the title observes - too many are passive and are prepared to get trampled on. There was one who tried to stop me from fighting for my rights - and I dumped her as a friend (that was nearly three years ago now) because she was trying to pull me down to her level. Now I can't stop people from making a choice about their own lives. They make that choice and have to live with it. What annoys me is that they don't see the danger of not fighting, and I end up feeling a little powerless.

That's why I'm trying to give them that power in another way - getting a committee up and running in Canberra (now that we have a new government - yay!) to look into the issues of Aspies in general in the hope that the law can be altered to make things easier for us, and make things harder for those who abuse us. That story about being bullied, and then blamed for it wouldn't happen should such a thing be achieved.

Another danger is being passive by "sucking up" to the NT world. Again - I've seen this, and I know the danger of trying to be NT when you're not (I didn't have a choice because I hadn't been DXed with Aspergers at the time - but it's still relevant experience). If you are an Aspie - DON'T try and play the NT game. Inevitably, you'll lose because you don't have all the tools to cope. There may be some around and you might get away with it for awhile, but it will inevitably come back around and bite you on the rear end eventually. The biggest sign of that is the work place. School is small potatoes compared to work - unless you luck out with the right environment (I certainly didn't!!)

Sorry - rambled a bit because this is a pretty sore subject for me. Bottom line, I'm a fighter! And the right sort (I don't use my fists!)

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2008, 3:56 pm

TLPG wrote:
Absurd topic? I completely disagree!

I knew it was going to be misinterpreted. It was my fault for not being specific. I'll give it another try:

It is absurd to try and fashion a person into a physical fighter when they've no means or want to, as well to try to tell such a person to lie and cheat, so to speak. That's all. I've no problem with the topic or the person's intent, just disagreed with it. :D

TheTraditionalFrog
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2008, 5:14 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but it isn't my nature to resolve problems with fighting.

I know plenty of NT's that also avoid fightinging to resolve problems. So, it isn't just some AS people that are passive.

Personally, I don't feel lex talionis is the appropriate way to resolve any disputes, period!

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 5:29 pm

The story of my life.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 6:10 pm

The story of my life.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:28 pm

purplesky wrote:
lastcrazyhorn wrote:
purplesky wrote:
deadeyexx wrote:

WOW, you made THAT much? can you set up a fund so that we can take advantage of your sage advice?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:48 pm

If anyone tries to physically hurt me, then I'll f**k them up. There's nothing to lose when I need to defend myself. Not only that, but if people think you're weak and unable to defend yourself, they will capitalize on that.