Face memory test (children are in this one)

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 11:48 pm

This is the link
This is the first time I did this test
This tested incorperated memory for inverted faces of children and children the right way up as well as a test for adult faces.
I scored much better than I thought I would for the inverted faces of children. But I usually am better at children's faces and Chinese faces than adult Caucasian in spite of the fact I am Caucasian. I would like to see how I would score it the did a memory test on Chinese faces.
Below are my results:

Quote:
http://www.faceblind.org/facetests/upinv/upinv_intro.php
Your Results
Here is a breakdown of your scores on these tests. If you have a percentile rank of less than 2 on any of these tests, you may have difficulties with that type of recognition memory. If you are uncertain what any of this feedback means, move your mouse over the links below for more information.

What is a percentile rank?
What does it mean if my percentile rank is 2 or less?
I have difficulties with one or more kinds of recognition memory. Why did I score normally?
Why does the face recognition test only include female faces?
Is it possible I just can't recognize Caucasian faces?
Why did I find the inverted test so hard?
For more information about face recognition and visual memory, please go to the website of the Prosopagnosia Research Center.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recognizing Upright Adult Faces
In this test, you were asked to learn the faces of 10 adult women. When you were tested on these faces, you had to indicate whether a face on the screen was one you learned or one that you hadn't seen before.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 6 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 14 faces before.

Overall, you got 67% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 4.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recognizing Upright Children's Faces
In this test, you were asked to learn the faces of 10 children between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. When you were tested on these faces, you had to indicate whether a face on the screen was one you learned or one that you hadn't seen before.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 9 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 15 faces before.

Overall, you got 80% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 40.

Recognizing Inverted Children's Faces
In this test, you were asked to learn the upside-down faces of 10 children between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. We did this test in order to demonstrate how difficult it is to recognize upside-down faces. Some people with face blindness find that upright faces and upside-down faces are equally difficult. We think that recognizing upside-down faces is a good way of getting a feel for what its like to be faceblind. When you were tested on these faces, you had to indicate whether a face on the screen was one you learned or one that you hadn't seen before.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 7 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 13 faces before.

Overall, you got 67% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 55.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 2:40 am

Adult faces: Overall, you got 93% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct.

Child faces: Overall, you got 83% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 50.

Child inverted faces: Overall, you got 63% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 45. (I sped through this part, it was creepy-looking).

I don't have problems recognizing faces (obviously). What I have major issues with is putting a name to them, which is darn near impossible for me.

TheMandalore
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2008, 2:51 am

Quote:

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 9 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 20 faces before.

Overall, you got 97% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct. Your percentile
rank on this test was 88.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 6 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 20 faces before.

Overall, you got 87% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile
rank on this test was 60.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 2 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 11 faces before.

Overall, you got 43% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile
rank on this test was 2.

For some reason, the inverted faces actually hurt my head. When I looked at them, it was like my eyes were convinced something was wrong, and tried to adjust themself. And my brain just "heard" gibberish. So I had to stop that, and I just focused on the way the light reflected on their faces instead of looking at the facial features. Obviously didn't work too well :oops:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 4:37 am

Quote:

In this test, you were asked to learn the faces of 10 adult women. When you were tested on these faces, you had to indicate whether a face on the screen was one you learned or one that you hadn't seen before.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 3 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 18 faces before.

Overall, you got 70% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 7.

In this test, you were asked to learn the faces of 10 children between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. When you were tested on these faces, you had to indicate whether a face on the screen was one you learned or one that you hadn't seen before.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 7 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 16 faces before.

Overall, you got 77% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 30.

In this test, you were asked to learn the upside-down faces of 10 children between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. We did this test in order to demonstrate how difficult it is to recognize upside-down faces. Some people with face blindness find that upright faces and upside-down faces are equally difficult. We think that recognizing upside-down faces is a good way of getting a feel for what its like to be faceblind. When you were tested on these faces, you had to indicate whether a face on the screen was one you learned or one that you hadn't seen before.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 5 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 14 faces before.

Overall, you got 63% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 45.

Interestingly, the inverted faces didn't seem any more difficult to learn than the right-way-up ones. I scored lower on that subtest, though.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2008, 9:39 am

Quote:

Overall, you got 97% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 88.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 8 faces before.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 19 faces before.

Overall, you got 90% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 72.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 19 faces before.

Overall, you got 83% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 96.

not too shabby.. :D

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jan 2008, 9:59 am

Overall, you got 87% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 55.

Overall, you got 70% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 14.

Out of 10 familiar faces, you correctly responded that you had seen 5 faces before.

Overall, you got 63% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 45.

I thought it was interesting that I did much better on children's faces than adults. Interesting. Of course, I work with kids and relate to them better, so maybe that's just me. I also noticed that I was unable to concentrate on the faces as I got further into the test. My brain just didn't care. Too much info and it just shut down completely.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 10:56 am

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 13 faces before.

Overall, you got 73% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 12.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 8 faces before.

Overall, you got 50% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was less than 1.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 8 faces before.

Overall, you got 50% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 7.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 11:02 am

That paints a pretty bleak picture though in reality I'm a bit better and gradually recognize over time. Those that are important anyway :lol:

Avenger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jan 2008, 11:03 am

Upright adult: 80% correct, 30th percentile
Upright child: 73% correct, 20th percentile
Inverted child: 53% correct, 12th percentile (pretty much as good as random guessing)

I also took the celebrity recognition test and got 54%.

Looks like I just uncovered a new skill in which I am significantly below average! Ha ha. Good thing it's well offset by my superpowers...

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 5:01 pm

Upright adult: 67% correct, 4th percentile
Upright child: 67% correct, 10th percentile
Inverted child: 70% correct, 70th percentile

I found the inverted child test the hardest and had to guess on almost every face. It looks like I got lucky guessing.

I have a question. What are you supposed to look at on someone's face to memorize it? I usually look at their hair but everyone was on this test was bald. I often recognize people by their body shape (slim, average, heavy) and the clothes they wear. I get people mixed up all the time.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 5:30 pm

%tiles were: 20, 14, and 20. Some of the heads were tilted in an angle so I could use that to identify them, not the faces. If every face had been positioned at the same angle, I might have done worse.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 5:52 pm

I was given that, I think, during my IQ test.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 8:16 pm

Liverbird wrote:
I thought it was interesting that I did much better on children's faces than adults. Interesting. Of course, I work with kids and relate to them better, so maybe that's just me. I also noticed that I was unable to concentrate on the faces as I got further into the test. My brain just didn't care. Too much info and it just shut down completely.

I was noticing that the children's features seemed much more distinct, so it was easier to recognize them, even by a single feature.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can get 100% on a test and still only rank in the 91st percentile...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 8:34 pm

Quote:

Overall, you got 83% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 45.

Overall, you got 80% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 40.

Overall, you got 70% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 70.

One of the things that gets me is that we have people with different expressions and different head silhouettes. All I have to do is focus on a couple of features and I get a decent score. In real life, I find recognizing people much more difficult.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 8:52 pm

Rats. I lost my results.

I know it was slightly odd. I think the percentiles were roughly: Adult: 55, Child: 45, Inverted 87.

I.e. I was very much better at inverted faces than normal. I don't "recognise" faces, I remember blobs. The fact that the blob might be a face doesn't matter much.

Sophist wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how I can get 100% on a test and still only rank in the 91st percentile...

As the site itself says, being in the 91st percentile means that you score higher than 91% of people. I.e. you are amongst the 9% of people who score 100%.

Also on the site, it mentions that all the faces are female.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 8:54 pm

Quote:

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 16 faces before.

Overall, you got 83% correct! The average score on this test is 85% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 45.

Out of 20 unfamiliar faces, you correctly responded that you had NOT seen 18 faces before.

Overall, you got 90% correct! The average score on this test is 83% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 72.

Overall, you got 77% correct! The average score on this test is 65% correct. Your percentile rank on this test was 88.