Page 12 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Are you a good driver?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 289 ]
Fairly 26%  26%  [ 174 ]
Not so much 11%  11%  [ 76 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 131 ]
Total votes : 670

Caffeine1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2011, 8:54 pm

I learned to drive in a city and passed test 4 years ago. I consider myself a better driver than many.

Ironically IMO the worst drivers on the road have to be women with "baby on board" stickers.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 11:21 pm

I think I'm an ok driver for the most part. But I do have horrendous road rage that may compromise my safety from time to time...

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 2:22 am

I always loved driving, and Im an excellent driver. When I was a boy back in the late 50's I used to wake up in the middle of the night and push my fathers brand new 1960 Ford Station Wagon with a Thunderbird engine down the road a few houses and then DRIVE FAST for an hour. Years later I had a business for 15 years where I made desserts for restaurants. 80 restaurants, and I delivered in a Volvo Turbo Wagon. I drove 400,000 miles without an accident, ticket, or slamming on the breaks and sending cakes crashing.

lucyfm
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2011, 8:20 am

skahthic wrote:
I drive much better than I walk--- I'm clumsy normally, but if you put me in a car it is as if we become one. Driving gets me out, but I still have my walls around me and it is nice.

I joined here just to quote this post!

This is me exactly. My car is one of my safe places, I can lock the door and feel safe.

On topic, yea, I'm a good driver, passed my test first time.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jan 2011, 4:03 pm

tall-p wrote:
DRIVE FAST for an hour.

Hah! :lol: There's nothing quite like the buzz from driving a grunty car at speed, is there?

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 4:43 pm

Cornflake wrote:
tall-p wrote:
DRIVE FAST for an hour.

Hah! :lol: There's nothing quite like the buzz from driving a grunty car at speed, is there?

True true....

Years later I got into cycling big time and got fit enough to ride in the peloton. Now that is really a high! You are drawn along much faster than you could pedal on your own... it's magical.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jan 2011, 7:20 pm

tall-p wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
tall-p wrote:
DRIVE FAST for an hour.

True true....

Years later I got into cycling big time and got fit enough to ride in the peloton. Now that is really a high! You are drawn along much faster than you could pedal on your own... it's magical.

Fit? :roll: Oh dear, unexplored ground for me, I'm afraid. :lol:
I did cycle for a while (just pootling about, not racing) but then I learned to drive...
Ice-skating was fun for a while too, but I tended to only want to go anti-clockwise - which didn't really help much when everyone else changed direction.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 8:16 pm

Cornflake wrote:
tall-p wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
tall-p wrote:
DRIVE FAST for an hour.

True true....

Fit? :roll: Oh dear, unexplored ground for me, I'm afraid. :lol:
I did cycle for a while (just pootling about, not racing) but then I learned to drive...
Ice-skating was fun for a while too, but I tended to only want to go anti-clockwise - which didn't really help much when everyone else changed direction.

The timing was right for me. I was in my mid 30's and riding distances without stopping is very solitary, and you could cover quite a distance in an hour. Then I met a couple of guys ten years younger than me, and we'd ride a pace line... we all got fit, and they turned me on a whole other world of racing and fancy bikes.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 8:33 pm

I can't get my driver's license for another 3 days, but I chose "no" because I went on this amusement park ride when I was about 10 and you had to drive your own car around a track and I kept crashing into everything. Other people my age weren't having problems, so, no.

I'm probably not going to get my driver's license when I turn 16.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

E-Wreck
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Feb 2011, 12:01 am

I just got my license about 3 weeks ago and have been driving since June of 2010 but, I don't think I'm a bad driver. I think I'm fine. I mean, I've made a few mistakes but, I've always caught them right away and haven't gotten into any trouble. Driving's a ton of fun to me, even though I'd rather take public transportation over driving since I'm such an environmentalist freak. That's why I'm moving to Chicago! But, I'll still have a car there. :)

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2011, 2:10 pm

i cast my vote for not so much. Actually i think i'm a superb driver the vast majority of the time, however i suffer occasionally lapses in attention that nearly cause accidents all to frequently and occasionally do. Twice in my life i've run a red light, not being in any hurry, or with any intention of running it, just was not thinking about the situation. Well i mean twice that i know of because it result in an accident, the most recent of which would have certainly killed me if their was a couple feet difference in the site of impact. If i could afford a driver i would have someone drive me around always, and drive occasionally for fun, but never regularly for transportation.

creature1001
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2011, 2:52 pm

I just got my license about 3 months ago, at 34.
I've had a driving phobia all my life, but when I became single and without transport I got mad one day and as an impulse buy I pulled a couple of thousand from my 401k and bought a car... without having a license. And that basically forced me to learn to drive, because now I had a car and insurance payments and no 'real' license, just a permit. And no one wants to have a car and to be making insurance payments and not even be able to drive without a licensed passenger.

I drive ok. I'm very cautious. I don't pull into the street to make a left when the arrow isn't green, just hoping for an opportunity to turn. I stay about 10 -15 feet behind the car ahead when stopped at a light, in the event I get rear ended I wont hit the car ahead of me. As I get more comfortable driving that stuff may change, but who knows.

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 3:11 pm

In general I'm a pretty good driver. I've also learned how to do the Scandinavian flick, burnouts, drifting, etc. Not saying I'm a professional at that sort of stuff, but I do a pretty good job over all (I think). My friends car is perfect for drifting ('02 Ford Mustang), but mine? Not so much. Not enough BHP. My dad used to have a '98 Dodge Viper GTS so thats where I learned the burnout thing, though that wasn't particularly hard considering how much BHP the Viper had and also the lack of TCS.

Though I did try to do the flick one time in the back of a grocery store parking lot.....in the snow. Little did I know that a one inch layer of solid ice was underneath the snow. Needless to say I went strait into a curb and ruined my right front suspension and wheel. Got too cocky I guess. Never know until ya try, right? *shrugs*

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2011, 7:21 pm

I don't drive, although I've had my learner's permit twice. I simply cannot bring myself to drive around a huge piece of metal machinery at speeds that could be lethal. I realize I'm being irrational and overthinking the whole thing, but watching someone put on make up or send text messages while driving totally gives me the heebie-jeebies.

mikeseagle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 7:41 pm

Learning to drive was a big thing for me when I was a teenager. But once I got my driver's license I found out how much I really enjoy driving. Could drive all day and not get tired of it. I drive people up the wall when I drive a long distance. Instead of going the fatest route I will look on the map for a route I have not taken before. Even in the city. I'm always looking for a alternate route to get somewhere.

When I move to Australia, driving became a issue again. Driving on the wrong side of the road, roundabouts, speeds in km/h instead of mph. It was enough to throw me out of my comfort zone. But I got use to it and applied and received my Australia driver's license.

My major hangup driving though is parking the car. Especially parallel parking and reverse angle parking. Just cannot get the car in the right spot

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2011, 11:18 pm

I also love to drive. Someday, I want a nice car. For now, I just have to hope my twelve-year-old Camry holds together. Atlanta driving is asking a lot of a car with 100k+ miles on it. I learned to drive in this city, which was a nightmare, but I feel well prepared for anything I may encouter later. Driving relaxes me.

My only problem is the trouble I have with light in the summer. The sun reflects off of other cars and burns my eyes, so I wear welding goggles. The green lenses let me see everything clearly, even in the shadows, and they filter all the light. I have to be more careful about turning my head when I change lanes because I loose some peripheral vision, but they are generally very helpful. I decorated them in a steampunk fashion and wear them with a top hat, which also shades my eyes. They look good and make it easier. Like most people, I handle a car better with my eyes open.