Are You Described as Too Unemotional?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 2:34 pm

Thagomizer wrote:
I'm usually described as creepy, actually.

Yep, me too.

Quote:
I usually appear unemotional, however. My lack of affect and vocal inflection, coupled with my apparent intelligifence and vocabulary, makes some people mistake me for a 'scientist' type. Say, an mbti type INTP or INTJ. I'm actually an 'NF' idealist in every core of my being. I'm more emotional, just outwardly detatched.

You know, I guess that is kind of true with me at times. Someone I knew once when someone saw a journal entry about how I felt lonely and whatnot, and said that she had no idea I felt that way, and then also said that I often had an "evil" look on my face.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 2:46 pm

mikibacsi1124 wrote:
Thagomizer wrote:
I'm usually described as creepy, actually.

Yep, me too.

Yeah, same. Or weird or geeky or as a loser or loner et cetera.

Deadevil129
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2005, 4:43 pm

I wouldn't call myself emotionless, there seems to be certain emotions I'm devoid of though. When bad things of any nature happen, especially world disastors, or maybe an unplanned pregnancy of a not so close friend, all I'm really able to muster up is an "ah.... that's a shame" and then I forget about it. I show a little more compassion for things that happen closer to home, but not much, usually I'm just acting out a reaction I've seen somebody else do. Feels kinda fasle but it stops people thinking I'm heartless. I'm not, I know a bad situation when I see one, and I can feel sorry for people but there seems to be something missing, I'm just not sure what.

My emotional reactions tend to be really wrong for things as well, I'll sit stony faced when I hear good news and tend to smile when hearing bad news... it's kinda weird, it's not like I'm feeling like smiling it's just a natural reaction, the same way as other people cry when they're sad. I smile when I'm happy too, it's more of a half assed grin when I'm telling or hearing bad news, but I can never seem to stop it.

Alot of people seem to comment that I look bored all the time, I don't know how to not look bored though, I'm not sure what bored looks like.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 7:55 pm

Sean wrote:
My Mom once commented I look mad in my avatar. In reality, I'm completely neutral, spaced out and stimming in that picture.

you do look a little annoyed in that picture. I assumed it was taken without consent initially but you grew to like it, or you were trying to look "intense."

</pot calling the kettle black>

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 8:53 pm

Quote:
My Mom once commented I look mad in my avatar. In reality, I'm completely neutral, spaced out and stimming in that picture.

You look mildly perturbed, but I always assumed you were just concentrating hard on something.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 9:30 pm

I'm very unemotional, except in few select situations. My friend even describe me as a walking computer program. I seem to have pre-programmed responsed to situations, rather than emotional reactions. This is especially true when it comes to love and relationships. I'm guessing it came from the way my parents raised me. Here's the C++ source code for their parenting:

Code:
if(behavior == GOOD)
    cout << "Good boy." << '\n';
else
   punish();

Given what you've read, it's easy to see why I'm so unemotional. The few situaions where I do become emotional is when a girl shows interest in me. I start to wonder what made her interested, and go through what I find attractive about her.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 2:13 pm

Namiko wrote:
Nice. Are you an INFJ, by any chance? I know someone who is (and I'm not trying to stereotype here) and seems fairly detatched, but she's not. She is extremely emotional and empathetic, but does not express this to other people upon just a glance. Just curious, as always...
I may be. I was an INFP for a long time, but lately it seems I've mutated to become an INFJ. Now, though, I just label myself as INFX because I'm sure exactly.

Quote:
I've also been told that I always look angry or contemptuous, which is apparently how I look without affect; I'll get "what's wrong?" asked of me when I feel fine and thought no emotion was registering. My crossed are wires or something.
Hah! My parents so often think I'm angry or depressed when I'm really just lost in thought and want them to leave me alone. I think an old co-worker of mine said (not to me) that I looked like the type of person who would come to work with an uzi and mow everyone down. This baffles me because I'm not sure what those people look like. I've also been told that I "look like a science major", but I think that's an equally idiotic statement. What the hell do any of these people ever look like?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 3:31 pm

Thagomizer wrote:
I may be. I was an INFP for a long time, but lately it seems I've mutated to become an INFJ. Now, though, I just label myself as INFX because I'm sure exactly.

INFPs unite! I was actually probably an INTP until I was about sixteen years old.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 10:21 pm

Thagomizer wrote:
Hah! My parents so often think I'm angry or depressed when I'm really just lost in thought and want them to leave me alone. I think an old co-worker of mine said (not to me) that I looked like the type of person who would come to work with an uzi and mow everyone down. This baffles me because I'm not sure what those people look like. I've also been told that I "look like a science major", but I think that's an equally idiotic statement. What the hell do any of these people ever look like?

Science majors wear glasses, use big words, and have sub-par fashion scents.

Psychology majors usually look normal but when you talk to them you realize they have VERY sub-par common scents.

English majors by the way don't have a uniform look but would likely immediately notice that I spelled "sense" the wrong way both times.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 10:42 pm

Thagomizer wrote:
I think an old co-worker of mine said (not to me) that I looked like the type of person who would come to work with an uzi and mow everyone down.

I got told once that I was the type of person for whom they'd say, afterwards, "But she was always so quiet..." :twisted: It was actually pretty close to the truth.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 11:14 pm

Serissa wrote:
Thagomizer wrote:

Science majors wear glasses, use big words, and have sub-par fashion scents.

Psychology majors usually look normal but when you talk to them you realize they have VERY sub-par common scents.

English majors by the way don't have a uniform look but would likely immediately notice that I spelled "sense" the wrong way both times.

I wear glasses, use big words (well, bigger than the Average Bear uses), have some fashion sense when I have the $$$ for clothes (probably less than I think I do I'm sure), I don't really look normal but I am a Psych major, and I guess I don't really have a uniform look-- maybe a little closer to Science major on many days-- but I am an English major also and noticed that you spelled "sense" wrong both times. :D :D :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 11:24 pm

My mom tells me things I dont care about and when I say "I don't care" she says "oooooh sombodys crankkk-eeeee",and I'm looking around wondering who

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 11:51 pm

rpm2004 wrote:
My mom tells me things I dont care about and when I say "I don't care" she says "oooooh sombodys crankkk-eeeee",and I'm looking around wondering who

Oooooooooh, somebody's honest.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 11:57 pm

Sophist wrote:
rpm2004 wrote:

Oooooooooh, somebody's honest.
exactly...thats what I should say

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 6:08 am

I'm considered goddamn sociopathic.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 8:18 am

Me? I'm just a character. Ever shifting chameleon of expressed emotion (although quite stable inside) leads to those around me to be thoroughly confused. I can pass a manager and completely ignore them and other times give a terrifically warm hello; and do both on the same day.