Page 4 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:07 pm

Vince wrote:
riverotter wrote:
Driving SUV's.
Living far from where one works- expected. "I need the drive home to unwind." ! !!
Bottled water.
Plastic shopping bags.
"Disposable" cutlery- I wash it and reuse it if I have it. Hell, "disposable" anything.
McMansions.

I don't even know what that last one is, but the other ones I wouldn't call social activities as much as...ideas.

Ok...you are right about that...I was perseverating. (McMansions are huge houses people use to show off their social standing).

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:19 pm

Okay...
Wasting a perfectly nice canoe or kayak trip by spending it with 17 other people in canoes or kayaks. In fact my (one-person) kayak came with a tag attached to it stating that one should never go boating alone because it is not only less safe, but also less fun. Mmmm, some NT thought that one up.
And, wasting $400 on some ticket to a sporting event or a Rolling Stones show or the like.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:27 pm

riverotter wrote:
(McMansions are huge houses people use to show off their social standing).

Oh, you mean like mansions? I thought it was some actual new McDonalds-run operation:P Silly me, having to take things so literally... ^^

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2008, 9:42 pm

Mansions with tiny lawns.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 10:04 pm

Tupperware Parties?

*runs away screaming*

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2008, 7:51 am

"Ice-breakers." Dear God, why? "And so you throw this beanbag to another person in the group, and repeat back the really boring fact which they told you about themselves whilst looking them in the eye and pretending to give a damn."

I'm almost breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it. Why pretend that I care about the details of this person's life, when I'm never going to see him again after today, he's really not very interesting, he thinks I'm some kind of freak, and talking to him/making eye contact feels like pulling teeth to me?

I struggle with the NT idea that not caring about this kind of detail (ie whereabouts someone lives, what car they drive, how many kids they have, where they went on holiday etc) is rude. Surely it's the most boring topic on earth. I find talking about this stuff dull even when it's in relation to myself.

stevechoi
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2008, 9:40 pm

jonk wrote:
I wanted to start a list of these. Here's my number one:
  • Barbeques
Stand around and chit-chat and play horseshoes just to be social? I get shivers down my spine just imagining the idea.

I'm gone!

Jon

SPORTS....I JUST DONT GET IT! PLAYING IT, WATCHING IT...IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO ME!

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 9:46 pm

"Harleyfest."
Thousands of insanely loud motorcycles and a giant party for them.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 11:52 pm

stevechoi wrote:
SPORTS....I JUST DONT GET IT! PLAYING IT, WATCHING IT...IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO ME!
'
WORD!

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 3:38 am

Driving great, big 4-wheel drive cars that are obviously designed for off-road activities on nowhere but public roads.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 3:58 am

or Hummers
who's idea was that anyway

ps1r3n
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2008, 4:43 am

hartzofspace wrote:
I once got invited to something called a "Pick A Pearl Party." I didn't quite know what to expect, but it was incredibly boring and stupid. Lots of other women sat around in the hostess's house, and there was a bucket of oysters, from which people got pick one, hoping it contained a pearl. I know I came across as weird, felt horribly awkward, didn't care about pearls, and wondered when they'd serve refreshments. I finally left, and knew that all the other guests thought I was rude. The hostess gave me some delicious cookies to take home.

This is the weirdest thing! I've never heard of 'pick a pearl' parties. What happens for the rest of the night? Is there great excitment at who gets the pearl? Is there definitely a pearl in one of them? How would anyone know if there was? Ooooooo too many questions!

It's as though some people need a REASON to invite their friends over beyond just wanting some company and so they create some crappy party idea. I mean what's wrong with just having your friends over without subjecting them to silly activities or selling them stuff they don't want? Afraid the conversation would dry up without props? Low self-esteem?

ps1r3n

23 Jan 2008, 4:57 am

TEAM BUILDING ACTIVITIES!! ! need I say more?
I cringe whenever this is suggested at work because basically it means that it's a new way to ostracise the weirdos. The whole thing seems designed to single people out who don't like to do group activities and should be renamed 'team dividing activities'.
Luckily I got out of my old job before the planned activity weekend, although I have done them before as a student. It would have made my life at work even worse because no, I don't like doing stupid trust exercises with people I don't trust and who make comments about my weight all the time. Can you imagine what they'd be like if they had to catch me? Oh the possibilities! And no, I don't think that working together to stop the water coming out of the holey tube by using various bits of my body to block it brings me closer to my collegues. It just makes me wet and annoyed. And mostly, no, I don't think that hating this sort of crap makes me worse at my job. I'm actually better at it than most. In my experience team building activities only serve to strengthen people's prejudices against those who are not as social as others and do the opposite of what they profess to do.

Ok, rant over :D

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 9:29 am

Vince wrote:
riverotter wrote:
Driving SUV's.
Living far from where one works- expected. "I need the drive home to unwind." ! !!
Bottled water.
Plastic shopping bags.
"Disposable" cutlery- I wash it and reuse it if I have it. Hell, "disposable" anything.
McMansions.

I don't even know what that last one is, but the other ones I wouldn't call social activities as much as...ideas.

McMansions is a derogatory term for large suburban single-family homes that take up most of the lot so there is not very much space for a yard. They are pretty much THE symbol of the recent US housing bubble and, along with Hummers, are associated with the binge of consuption caused by the housing boom. I find them pretty ugly houses, I much prefer a smaller, cozier house in an older residential area like the one around my university, lots of nice older homes from the 40s, 50s, and 60s and streets lined with gorgeous old elm trees and many of the houses are surrounded by evergreen shrubs that give the neighborhood an awesome "green cathedral" look in the summer. :D

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:16 am

Stag Parties - everything I hate about social events rolled into one. Noise, excessive drinking, inane chit-chat, public places in which you're drawing attention to yourselves. All followed up by bullying the poor sap who's getting married and completely embarrassing them in public. And of course, in 21st Century Britain, probably a fight with the local Chavs. Why does anyone put themselves through it?

I guess it's lucky that I'm so socially incompetent that I've never been invited to one - no, I tell a lie, I was once or twice, but just couldn't face it and had to make my excuses. I also had my own "Stag Night" - I got a few colleagues together, but with the strict instructions that it was a meal & no stupidity. Amazingly it actually worked and it was a fairly pleasant evening.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 11:27 am

sufi wrote:
or Hummers
who's idea was that anyway

thought they were just for stupid commercial rnb/hip hop videos.

original topic..
*Shooting animals
*Hunting animals
*Alcohol binge drinking competitions

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!