Your first memories of being "different"?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 3:08 pm

We were probably 5 years old when the neighbour girl suggested all four of us girls pull down our panties and show each other our bums. I was the only one who didn't. I knew my sister hated the idea and I was surprised she went along. They all went to hide in a corner and I remained there alone, with a big question mark over my head. It took me some 40 years to discover that my sister wanted to be accepted by those girls because they were the rich neighbours and had rich connections in our community.

I also have a vague memory of about 3-4 years old, when I was looking at my mom and my sister and thinking to myself that everything in this world seems so bizarre to me, I don't comprehend the things they both do and they seem to be so in synch with each other and confident in the world, while I feel so strange.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 3:12 pm

I didn't realize at all I was different until I started to attend kindergarten and I discovered that I was completely unable to deal with children.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 3:28 pm

I think I first realized it when I was in 2nd grade, we were in San Antonio, TX then and I think I was 5. Looking back now though, I should have realized it in first grade. I didn't care about what other people thought or did before 5 though, so I suppose I couldn't have really.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jan 2008, 3:49 pm

Ya know I really never understood that I was any different until someone pointed out that its not normal to be in special ed. Ya, I went almost 9 years in total ignorant bliss about it.

twosheds
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2008, 4:02 pm

Preschool, playing by myself, surrounded by a bunch of noisy kids who were playing games which were both confusing and dull.

I knew I was different from other kids from a very young age (my mother would try to take me to the park to play with the other kids and I'd tell her "I'm not that kind of boy"), but for a long time I just thought I was smarter than everyone else.

Maltelec
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2008, 4:07 pm

When I was almost 2 years old, my grandad said "look at the smoke comming from that (steam locomotive) engine."

I told him it wasn't smoke it was steam.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 4:33 pm

I used to try to be everyone's friend until I was around five to seven, when I realized that those people didn't like me.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 6:06 pm

DejaQ wrote:
I used to try to be everyone's friend until I was around five to seven, when I realized that those people didn't like me.

WOW, I was the SAME way! I recall feeling different when I was 5, and remember how I felt when people tried to read in first grade. I was 6 at that time.

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2008, 6:06 pm

when I was three, I found out I wasn't going to go to the same preschool my older sisters went to, I went to aspecial ed preschool

matt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 6:33 pm

I knew I was different when I was in kindergarten and was the only child who didn't enjoy the classroom activities.

I didn't begin to understand that I was disliked until one day in fourth grade when a girl from my gifted class(toward whom I felt no negative feelings) told me so.

Last edited by matt on 02 Feb 2008, 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2008, 6:33 pm

I don't know. I was pretty young. I think it was around ages two or three, when I started to have more contact with other kids from church or babysitter's. It wasn't a problem then, though. I guess I was four when I realized I was fundamentally different than the other kids. I went to two preschools/daycares and I remember that at both of them, I attached myself firmly to two 12/13 year old girls and hardly interacted with any other kids. :oops:

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 6:37 pm

Maltelec wrote:
When I was almost 2 years old, my grandad said "look at the smoke comming from that (steam locomotive) engine."

I told him it wasn't smoke it was steam.

But don't they ALSO emit smoke from the smoke stack? It is a steam engine ONLY because steam takes more space than water, and the coal heats the water to produce steam.

So how did HE react?

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jan 2008, 6:51 pm

I don't really know how old I was. My grandad died when I was 4. I do remember being really small and hearing him say about me in relation to my cousin (she's a month older than me) that I was smart and it would take me a lot further than her being pretty would.

I always felt different because she could always do gymnastics and tumbling and I couldn't. I was never coordinated. We were in the same tumbling class when we were 3 and I couldn't even do a somersault.

Then when we got to the age that we had slumber parties, maybe around 4 or so, her friends always picked on me and she joined in. I never really could figure out what was wrong with me. I dressed up in all the dance outfits and stuff just like every one else, but I guess the invisible weird tattoo was only invisible to me.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 7:01 pm

Liverbird wrote:
I don't really know how old I was. My grandad died when I was 4. I do remember being really small and hearing him say about me in relation to my cousin (she's a month older than me) that I was smart and it would take me a lot further than her being pretty would.

I always felt different because she could always do gymnastics and tumbling and I couldn't. I was never coordinated. We were in the same tumbling class when we were 3 and I couldn't even do a somersault.

Then when we got to the age that we had slumber parties, maybe around 4 or so, her friends always picked on me and she joined in. I never really could figure out what was wrong with me. I dressed up in all the dance outfits and stuff just like every one else, but I guess the invisible weird tattoo was only invisible to me.

WOW! I remember somersaults. I did the kind on the ground, hated them, and that was about all I could do really. YEECH! On my 3rd grade report card, it says "This is the first time he did P.E., he'll probably do better next time". YEAH RIGHT! I never really did.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2008, 7:09 pm

I think I thought everyone was like me on the inside for a long time. My mom was always telling me to smile and say this or that, and I thought the other kids were just better at remembering to do those things. I thought they felt weird inside, too.

eldarhadzi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2008, 7:16 pm

Think at primary school, I had a different mentality to a lot of kids. I got on with everyone, was really polite to teachers and helpful and I used to thrown upon fun activities at play time. :P All work and no play for me back then....making up for it now like.